7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

NEW (to me ) '01 Civic EX.....Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ndnboy is an unknown quantity at this point
NEW (to me ) '01 Civic EX.....Help?

Newbie here, just picked up an 01 Civic EX with 110K for my son. First car for teen driver and would appreciate any insights from the forum.

- came with 1 key, anyway of getting a spare made without stealer stealership pricing?

-Any issues to look for? I've seen numerous trans issues, think I have a clean one, time will tell.

- oil looks clean but plan on changing anyway to start a new clock. Not knowing prior maintenance, should I look at doing plugs, ATF, etc.......

Thanks for any input....hope to look around DIY items......want him to have a safe and reliable ride.
Old 12-20-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: NEW (to me ) '01 Civic EX.....Help?

read teh stickies on the top of each section of the forums - they have lots of useful information, being the reason we stickied them there.

the key is codes to the ECU (anti-theft system), dealer is the only option.
Old 12-21-2015
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

You can go to Lowes and get a transponder key cut/programed for around $30. Some Ace Hardware stores can do it for $70.
Old 12-21-2015
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Thanks, max, was not aware. Would programming still be done at dealer?
Old 12-21-2015
Registered!!

Thx, stopping by Lowes today and will check on key....
Old 12-21-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

An Immobilizer Type 1, 2 or 3 key can be 'cloned' if one can find a place that has the equipment to do it.
All you need is one valid working (original?) key they can copy on the cutting machine and read the immobilizer info and burn it into a blank, programmable key (the cloneable keys from Ilco/Honda were stamped T5).

The car itself is not needed except to verify the new keys work correctly.
Old 12-21-2015
Registered!!

Stopped in at Lowes and $30 did the trick....the 1 dealer I called said it would be $50.

Shopping list so far:

Cabin filter 2
Air filter
Oil change (30W?)

With 110K and unknown maintenance record think I should do Spark Plugs and ATF drain/fill.

Looked at Majestic and seems like a good spot for some savings.

Anything I'm missing. ....
Old 12-21-2015
PMI
Registered!!

PMI has a spectacular aura aboutPMI has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ndnboy
Anything I'm missing. ....
I bought one with similar mileage recently. My big service items were the timing belt and ATF. If you take a close look at the service schedule, both the timing belt and the transmission fluid have a service interval stated in miles, OR number of months, whichever comes first.

I also found broken sway bar links, both front and back, and a bad bushing in one of the lower control arms.

From what I am reading here my front suspension will need a thorough going over sometime soon.

You might also tell your son to handle the hood and fuel door release gently until he has a chance to lubricate the ends of the cables. My fuel door release came broken, and although there is a kit to fix that fairly easily, lubricating the cable ends is probably even easier.
Old 12-21-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ndnboy
Oil change (30W?)
Really?
The oil cap does not say anything 30 on it.
It says 5w20.
What oil was used again?

With 110K and unknown maintenance record think I should do Spark Plugs and ATF drain/fill.
Yes, use the correct NGK or DENSO plugs.
And timing belt as mentioned if it has not been done recently.
Brake fluid, coolant, etc.
Looked at Majestic and seems like a good spot for some savings.
Majestic is one of many dealers selling online at wholesale prices.
Watch out for the shipping fees, they can negate any savings on small stuff. Math carefully.
Old 12-22-2015
Registered!!

Wasnt sure if it was 5w30.

Found NGK Iridium IX and Denso IK20 listed on other older threads, still the Best option for plugs?

Found Amazon has some free shipping on items that make it a bit more attractive, will def shop around to Math carefully, thx.
Old 12-22-2015

Hondas parts catalog calls for

DENSO: PKJ20CR-M11
or NGK: PZFR6F-11