7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FCS Suspension? '02 Civic LX

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strycker is an unknown quantity at this point
FCS Suspension? '02 Civic LX

I'm looking to replace my wife's suspension components all the way around and came across the FCS brand. While it's cheaper than the Monroe Quick-Struts, I was was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these parts? It's about $300 for the complete 4 corner replacement parts and all in a quick-strut setup. This is a simple commuter car, 10 miles each way and nothing crazy, all straight highway. I'm looking to do it myself as am comfortable working on cars and realize I'll need an alignment afterwards. Any other suggestions on an economical replacement appreciated too. This is all original parts still with almost 170k on the odometer as well. Replaced the brake pads and rotors about 100k.
Old 07-22-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Re: FCS Suspension? '02 Civic LX

I replaced my front struts last year. My only complaint is they're really stiff in the cold weather, under 30 degrees. Mine aren't quick struts, I re-used the mounts and springs. Sensen brand is what I went with. I've put 14k miles on them.
I did the front sway bar end links and lower control arms. A few months later. Instead of pressing in compliance bushings, I just replaced the whole control arm (new bushings already installed) for around $42 per LCA.
The end links were a pain.

Compliance bushings make a big difference.

My son has a Corolla. We replaced his front struts with KYB quick struts last November. He has 5k miles on them.

If i was going to do it again, I'd look to get KYB quick struts for my Civic.
Old 07-22-2015
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

you ever hear ''you get what you pay for'' well you get what you pay for.
Old 07-23-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I would get KYB if it's available.

Never heard of FCS.
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Yeah I decided that Monroe Quick-Strut was the one to choose. I'm hoping they'll give it a few more years of life. I did notice that the LCA bushings are tearing too. Seems to be nothing new on the forum. Didn't bother with those yet. It's a 10 mile commuter car, so not too worried. I still have the rear struts to do too. I'm having a hell of a time on the rear drivers side bolt where it attachs behind the hub. I can't get it to budge at all. Tried PB Blaster, propane torched it really good, borrowed an impact gun from Advance Auto and nothing! Such a pain in the ****. And I thought the fronts would be the nightmare! Those were smooth as butter once everything was loose.
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

Originally Posted by Strycker
Yeah I decided that Monroe Quick-Strut was the one to choose. I'm hoping they'll give it a few more years of life. I did notice that the LCA bushings are tearing too. Seems to be nothing new on the forum. Didn't bother with those yet. It's a 10 mile commuter car, so not too worried. I still have the rear struts to do too. I'm having a hell of a time on the rear drivers side bolt where it attachs behind the hub. I can't get it to budge at all. Tried PB Blaster, propane torched it really good, borrowed an impact gun from Advance Auto and nothing! Such a pain in the ****. And I thought the fronts would be the nightmare! Those were smooth as butter once everything was loose.
When I did an order from Majestic Honda for an ECT sensor & thermostat I bought the 19mm bolts for the front LCAs. You can always cut or grind off... and order some new ones.
Old 08-01-2015
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Big cheater pipe! 4-6ft. 1/2" drive socket and wrench.
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Big cheater pipe! 4-6ft. 1/2" drive socket and wrench.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I've got $20 off $40 for Advance and they have a 24" 1/2" breaker bar. That and a pipe MAY work, but not 100% sure. It's a tricky angle and I'm working from the ground, not in the air.

I need bushings too on the front and may end up just replacing the whole LCA from ebay eventually. We will see what happens tomorrow. If I break it, I guess I'll be driving the wife to work.
Old 08-01-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bsmiley
When I did an order from Majestic Honda for an ECT sensor & thermostat I bought the 19mm bolts for the front LCAs. You can always cut or grind off... and order some new ones.
My front bolts had no problems coming off. I was stoked to find out the lug wrench fit the bolts. That made things MUCH easier than dealing with sockets and wrenches.
Old 08-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Strycker
My front bolts had no problems coming off. I was stoked to find out the lug wrench fit the bolts. That made things MUCH easier than dealing with sockets and wrenches.
So what did you do with the rear bolts?
Old 08-02-2015
Registered!!

Originally Posted by bsmiley
So what did you do with the rear bolts?
Postponed till next weekend. I did buy a 24" 1/2" drive breaker bar and an impact socket. If that doesn't do it, onto the lever action with a 4'-6' galvanized Pipe. I have put PB blaster on it so maybe that will help during the week. Will post back. I can't believe it's that seized in there.