7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power Steering leaks, only when front is on jack stands

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice
Power Steering leaks, only when front is on jack stands

My power steering rack is leaking. Not sure from where but it runs under the drivers floor and drips to the ground.
It only does this when the car is jacked up. I didn't experiment with different heights, but when on jack stands, about 14 inches.
Doesn't appear to lose any fluid when driving or when not on jack stands.
I did read the power steering rack replacement DIY. Anyone else experience similar or have any thoughts?
I will check that the lines are tight on the rack tomorrow.
Old 11-28-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Power Steering leaks, only when front is on jack stands

The bellows boot on the rack, is it full of fluid?
Old 11-29-2014
Registered!!

bsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nicebsmiley is just really nice

There is a little fluid in the bellows boot. It's a small amount and is incidental compared to the bulk of the fluid which ran down the bulkhead and under the car.
I'm going to wipe up the fluid in the bellows boot and keep a vigil on the reservoir. I've been watching the fluid level and I've only seen leaking when the front is raised.
That's the good news, because I can probably put off replacing the rack for a little while.

It's a bummer because with all the TLC I've given the car its been quite a transformation. I adjusted the valve clearances yesterday and I cleaned out the IAC. There was some black carbon in there and it was easy to clean out with some cotton swabs and an old toothbrush. One of the great things about a inline 4 is that little changes can be easily felt.
My first car was a 78 Accord CVCC and adjusting the points or the valve clearances really made a difference. Little things still make a big difference with these cars. EDIT: I've felt the difference with replacing the primary O2 sensor, the plugs and now the valve clearances and cleaning the IAC.
Old 11-29-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

the bulk of the fluid which ran down the bulkhead and under the car.
You mean the firewall? From the pinion and valve set where the steering column attaches?
Is it also running inside the car, under the carpet?

I'm having a hard time figuring how anything would pizz fluid out when the front is raised up unless you upset a collected puddle or something.
Old 11-29-2014
Registered!!

I've had the car up on jack stands several times since April.
Last weekend I had the front on jack stands for a couple of hours. After my work was complete and I had the car on the ground I did a final inspection for tools and such. I noticed the PS fluid was down from the full line to the minimum line. I topped it off and it was full all week.
Friday morning I put it on jack stands so I could adjust the valve clearances. By 3pm I noticed the PS reservoir was low, about an inch of fluid remained in it. I saw a small wet spot under driver's side. I can see where it ran down the firewall behind the steering gearbox, but the two fittings are dry.
I never checked the bellows boot until you mentioned it. It hasn't been running inside or under the carpet. The only fluid inside was the little bit in the bellows boot.
Since I topped it up yesterday it has remained full. I've driven about 100 miles since yesterday afternoon. No difference in reservoir level.
I can't think of anything that would cause it to leak when raised but it seems to be the common denominator.

Last edited by bsmiley; 11-29-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-29-2014

I noticed the PS fluid was down from the full line to the minimum line.

By 3pm I noticed the PS reservoir was low, about an inch of fluid remained in it. I saw a puddle under driver's side.
Well THAT'S weird. Doesn't sound like anything I have experienced.

I think it would almost have to be the return (low pressure) line leaking somewhere, but IDK why jacking it up would change things unless maybe a crack opens up.
If it leaks that rapidly, it shouldn't be that hard to locate the source LOL
Old 12-31-2014
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

My 01 is doing the exact same thing. It's so odd. First time was during a CV axle replacement. after the job I notice a puddle on the ground so I top it off the next day and put over 3k miles on it since then without it losing fluid. I jacked it up two days ago to replace a front tire and it leaked again. It only leaks when the front is raised! Hope somebody finds an answer.
Old 01-01-2015
Registered!!

I think the rix is to replace the power steering rack. But I can live with it for now.
Old 01-11-2015
Registered!!

fish711 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same issue. After putting my 2002 ex up to replace the control arms (bushings), ps fluid ran out onto drivers floor mat. The boot through the firewall was full. I wiped it our, refilled and bled the pump and will monitor. Seems to be working ok now. my lines are not leaking. There are no other leaks, just what came through the firewall as far as I can tell.

Has anyone else experienced this/solved the mystery? Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2015
Registered!!

When I had the front lifted most of the fluid dripped down the firewall and onto my driveway. I haven't lost a drop since I put her back on the ground. I did wipe out a little fluid in the bellows boot but it wasn't more than 1-2 ounces.
Since the problem seems to be related to raising the front end, and I haven't had it raised since Thanksgiving weekend, I haven't done anything with it.
If it starts leaking during normal operation, I'll replace the rack or take it out and have the seals replaced.
I bought the car for under 3K and I have about $1100 in parts, shop fees (pressing in bearings and alignment). Everything works, gas mileage is great and I've got groceries to buy, etc. I've put 10K on it since April and I expect to get 40K more from it before I have to address anything major.
If anything changes I'll post more info...

Last edited by bsmiley; 01-12-2015 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-12-2015
Registered!!

That's my plan too. I spent about the same. I've had it for 3 years, drive ~60 miles/day in commute, have 130k on it. It's cheap to keep. I put new struts, control arms, brakes, that's it. Great little car. If the steering acts up, I'll post it.
Old 01-12-2015

Maybe it's been slowly oozing fluid and collecting it in that little boot, then when you tilt the car it runs out?
Could you snip a small hole in that boot to let the fluid run out to the outside instead of the interior---is that a possibility?

Were either of you losing power steering fluid at a noticeable rate?
Old 01-13-2015
Registered!!

When I bought the car (April 2014) the PS fluid was just below the minimum line. The reservoir was very dirty and it was hard to see it was low.
I cleaned it up and filled it with Honda PS fluid.
Since then I've never lost a drop. I've had the car up on jack stands many times, too. In November I raised the front end onto jack stands to make it a little easier on my back to adjust valve clearances. Let engine cool overnight.

Next morning the reservoir was almost empty and I had a nice size puddle of PS fluid on my driveway, right below the driver's seat. I traced the fluid trail up to the PS rack.
When I was done with the valves, I lowered the car and I refilled my PS fluid and it's still at the max line today.

Last edited by bsmiley; 01-13-2015 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-14-2015
Registered!!

Mine only leaked when it was jacked up. Driving it now for a few days, no leaks. I'm not messing with mine until it leaks when its not jacked up. The rack is not cheap and its a bitch to remove.
Old 01-23-2015
Registered!!

5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough5.0Thunder is a jewel in the rough

glad I'm not the only one. we all seem to have the exact same problem. got my 01 for $2k with 104k miles. mint interior (even the top of the steering wheel) and very clean outside. Had recent timing belt and full service by the dealership right before I bought it and I've only put a couple hundred into it since then. It's a great car, just odd that the rack leaks like that.
Old 01-23-2015
Registered!!

I changed the oil last weekend. I put the front end on jack stands so I can slide under and get to the oil filter.
Didn't leak any PS fluid.

So it only does it sometimes... strange, huh?
Old 03-11-2016
Registered!!

Del Sol is an unknown quantity at this point

So this seems to be a recurring theme. 2002 civic ex leaks every time front end is jacked up. Fluid seems to be coming from top of rack where line connections are. Otherwise, can drive 1000 miles with no loss of fluid. Is there a bleed valve that I can't see? The fluid literally pours out. There must be an answer.
Old 03-12-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Del Sol
So this seems to be a recurring theme. 2002 civic ex leaks every time front end is jacked up. Fluid seems to be coming from top of rack where line connections are. Otherwise, can drive 1000 miles with no loss of fluid. Is there a bleed valve that I can't see? The fluid literally pours out. There must be an answer.
Mine does a slow drip. Only when front end is on jackstands. Never loses a drop otherwise. AND... it hasn't done it in over a year. I did my front brakes last year, and it was on jackstands for most of the afternoon with no drips...
I drive it up on ramps to do the oil changes, no drips. Seems if the drivers front wheel is off ground and the suspension is hanging down it drips. Right under the brake lines that run to the rear.
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

just an update. Mine still does it when jacked up lol and suspension hangs. If I park on an incline, no issues.