7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

had my HID installed but my car thinks the high beam is on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a.sasaki15 is an unknown quantity at this point
had my HID installed but my car thinks the high beam is on?

I purchased HID 6000K kit at a auto shop and had it installed weeks ago. One HID turned out to be faulty and they shop got a new shipment and installed the new one today. Just got home and noticed my civic thinks the Hi-beam is on when the low beam HID is on. When I push the light lever for Hi-beam the hi-beam light doesnt change in depth of color. Is this ok?
Old 03-27-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: had my HID installed but my car thinks the high beam is on?

No that's not ok. Take it back to the shop. You won't pass inspection without lows and highs.
Old 03-27-2013
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Sounds like a bad install, I would take it back to the shop, if they cant fix it then get your money back and go to a different shop. Or search the forum and see how other people have done it, if you cant find it here try.

OR

Don't fear the PANDA he is harmless
Old 03-27-2013
Registered!!

Thanks guys for the comment. It just really sucks because I feel like I get problems after ever time i go to this shop....This shop was the closest shop that installs aftermarket parts and sell and install HIDs before I moved to a new place. I know many of you might say how come you had it done at a shop when you can install it yourself? I don't want to touch electrical stuff because I know I would screw it up. I watched the professional install and it was more than just plug and play.
Old 03-27-2013

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

Nobody is judging you, hell most of the time I wish I had paid someone to deal with the headache. Just have to have faith in yourself and dive in. If that is not an option than I would honestly try to find a new shop. Making sure you have all the right things and hooking them up right can always be a pain in the ****. But it sounds like they either wired the relay wrong or didnt wire it right. (some places claim they know how to do somthing and really dont)
Old 03-27-2013
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Since you have an 01 your high and low beam is in one bulb so you need a relay to switch between the 2. They might have either hooked it up wrong or didn't use a bi-xenon kit and hooked it up to your high beam wire instead of your low beam wire (both wires are on the same plug).

The shop should have checked before giving you the car back and noticed it was on.
Old 03-27-2013
Registered!!

I went back to the shop and the guy kept blaming the hibeam fuse that was out. He told me to buy the part from Honda dealership and installed it but the hi-beam indicator is still on. I brought it back to the shop and the professional realized he needs to rewire the HID kit...Told me to come back next week....It's just ridiculous Im getting so much bad luck with this shop...This guy has a GTR in his shop and anyone would assume he'd know what he's doing but man I feel like this guy is making too much careless mistakes.

Installation that made me go back to the shop numerous times:

-Aftermarket Headlights-- turn signals dont turn on. he blame on the cheap crap from China and said hes the professional. called the manufacturer and they told he most likely wired it wrong. Turns out the professional was wrong.

- HID-- One HID was faulty. He had no stock and had to reorder. He told me he should get more shipment the following tuesday. Went back no HID. Told me he'd call me when he gets the HID. I called him couple days ago and he tells me the HID arrived....Where was my phone call? Went back to get it installed and thought everything was good. I realized the Hi-beam indicator was on when the low beam HID was on. He tells me the reason its on is the Hi-beam fuse was out. He told me to go buy it and it should be fine. I bought it the following morning and installed it. The Hi-beam indicator is still on...>WTF....Now he tells me oh your car has DRL so I have to rewire it....I dont understand why he didn't figure out earlier. Hes a nice guy but I feel like he's being very apathetic with my car? I've brought him business (my own projects and had my friend get his windows tinted there) and yet I feel like anything I get done turns bad. I'll be going back next Tuesday to the shop and I hope this will be the last time I have to go back because this is just bullshit. Waste of time, money, and gas....
Old 03-29-2013
Prelude Owner

Yea I wouldn't go to him anymore. Just because he knows GTR's doesn't mean he can do a Honda. After he gets everything working properly I wouldn't go there or suggest him to friends. He might just be a mechanic and not know much about electrical but if he tells you he can install them then he needs to find someone who can.

I thought only Canadian 7th gens had DRL's? Maybe not!
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

so I checked my user manual and since my em2 is a US model it's got parking lights. Not DRL....The auto shop guy thinks its DRL and will rewire the HID next Tuesday....
Old 03-29-2013
Prelude Owner

So basically he is going to wire it wrong again. Tell him it doesn't have DRL's and after he gets it working he needs to pay for the fuse that you bought that he said "you needed".
Old 03-29-2013
Registered!!

Yeah I'll inform him that it's not DRL. I hope he gets it right because I'm very pissed off that I have to do another 30 minute round trip just to get this fixed...When I get angry I don't really show it but man all the things I would say to him for his lack of professionalism....I expected better from this guy....I wasted time, gas, and money....wtf seriously...I don'
t know if the fuse blew before the HID installation or after so I can't tell him to pay for it. Now I feel like I should have installed it myself but again I don't like dealing with electrical stuff.

Originally Posted by GolNat
So basically he is going to wire it wrong again. Tell him it doesn't have DRL's and after he gets it working he needs to pay for the fuse that you bought that he said "you needed".
Old 04-08-2013

Best of luck to you with the reinstall. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-08-2013
Registered!!

So the auto shop guy looked into my car and web surfed to figure out my options. He told me that it's either getting bi-xenon HID or removing the high beam. He took off the hi-beam and the indicator no longer lights on when I turn on my HID low beam. I never use my hi-beam so I went with the option of removing it. Man 3 visits for a $150 HID job..

Originally Posted by Gunner
Best of luck to you with the reinstall. Let us know how it goes.
Old 04-08-2013
Registered!!

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
chozobody is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by a.sasaki15
So the auto shop guy looked into my car and web surfed to figure out my options. He told me that it's either getting bi-xenon HID or removing the high beam. He took off the hi-beam and the indicator no longer lights on when I turn on my HID low beam. I never use my hi-beam so I went with the option of removing it. Man 3 visits for a $150 HID job..
But you won't pass inspection without High and Low beams...
Old 04-16-2013
Registered!!

ProAc_Fan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just cause some guy works at a shop doesn't make him a professional. Obviously these guys are rather clueless about how something as relatively simple as the headlights function. Disabling the high beams is ridiculous and for a shop to suggest it would encourage me to find a better shop.

Mike