7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

clutch longevity?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waddle313 is an unknown quantity at this point
clutch longevity?

I'm just curious to know what type of mileage do you guys get out of your clutch? back in the day I used to beat my car when i thought it was fast chirping gears n such, but now i just drive it hard w/ out the gear chirping and im nearing the 145k mark on the original clutch. its a 2002 and i bought the car brand new close to 11 years ago now! I'm dreading taking out the trans bolts, hoping the threads don't come out w/ the bolts, i've had this issue on 2008 civic and 2005 accord when i swapped out the clutches for friends.

again just more curious to see what other people get out of these cars. i've basically only replaced a bad alternator on the car since i bought it w/ 6 miles and it has needed a head gasket for quite some time but i'm lazy and i keep just putting coolant in since i don't pay for it.
Old 01-09-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: clutch longevity?

Answers will be all over the map on this subject.

The life of a clutch depends entirely on the driver (almost zero outside factors).

Someone that can't drive a clutch can tear it up in mere seconds.

Someone good can make the clutch last the life of the car.

A car can be driven hard without putting undue wear on the clutch, too.
Old 01-09-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

^ +1

I was talking to my mechanic friend one day and he has a customer that goes through a clutch every 10K miles. I guess he suggested they might enjoy the benefits of an automatic the reply was, 'but I enjoy driving the manual.'
Old 01-09-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

I do normal driving and have 160k miles without any signs of slipping. Just a ref point.
Old 01-09-2013
Registered!!

waddle313 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know its all over the place i was just curious... although it may not seem like it from the question i am a tech at a nissan dealer. the lowest ive seen someone blow through a clutch was 87 miles when i worked at a mitsubishi dealer, but haven't seen many people get over 135k miles. when i bought this car 11 years ago i hated the clutch and thought i would blow through it quickly. Seems like many people don't believe me when i tell them its the original clutch and all i've done to the car is put an alternator in it since ive owned it, besides general maintenance of course.
Old 01-11-2013
Registered!!

Aetoc will become famous soon enoughAetoc will become famous soon enough

I'm at 160k miles as well and there's nothing wrong with my clutch. I've even driven it pretty hard sometimes too...good 'ol Honda
Old 01-11-2013
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Answers will be all over the map on this subject.

The life of a clutch depends entirely on the driver (almost zero outside factors).

Someone that can't drive a clutch can tear it up in mere seconds.

Someone good can make the clutch last the life of the car.

A car can be driven hard without putting undue wear on the clutch, too.
this is the perfect answer, exactly what i was going to say,

if a clutch is used PROPERLY there is no reason why it should not last the lifetime of the vehicle