Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005)
-   -   clutch longevity? (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-generation-civic-2001-2005/353448-clutch-longevity.html)

waddle313 01-09-2013 12:23 AM

clutch longevity?

I'm just curious to know what type of mileage do you guys get out of your clutch? back in the day I used to beat my car when i thought it was fast chirping gears n such, but now i just drive it hard w/ out the gear chirping and im nearing the 145k mark on the original clutch. its a 2002 and i bought the car brand new close to 11 years ago now! I'm dreading taking out the trans bolts, hoping the threads don't come out w/ the bolts, i've had this issue on 2008 civic and 2005 accord when i swapped out the clutches for friends.

again just more curious to see what other people get out of these cars. i've basically only replaced a bad alternator on the car since i bought it w/ 6 miles and it has needed a head gasket for quite some time but i'm lazy and i keep just putting coolant in since i don't pay for it.

ezone 01-09-2013 01:05 AM

Re: clutch longevity?

Answers will be all over the map on this subject.

The life of a clutch depends entirely on the driver (almost zero outside factors).

Someone that can't drive a clutch can tear it up in mere seconds.

Someone good can make the clutch last the life of the car.

A car can be driven hard without putting undue wear on the clutch, too.

Stock 99 01-09-2013 01:21 AM

^ +1

I was talking to my mechanic friend one day and he has a customer that goes through a clutch every 10K miles. I guess he suggested they might enjoy the benefits of an automatic the reply was, 'but I enjoy driving the manual.'

sl33pyriceboi 01-09-2013 01:49 AM

I do normal driving and have 160k miles without any signs of slipping. Just a ref point.

waddle313 01-09-2013 09:17 AM

I know its all over the place i was just curious... although it may not seem like it from the question i am a tech at a nissan dealer. the lowest ive seen someone blow through a clutch was 87 miles when i worked at a mitsubishi dealer, but haven't seen many people get over 135k miles. when i bought this car 11 years ago i hated the clutch and thought i would blow through it quickly. Seems like many people don't believe me when i tell them its the original clutch and all i've done to the car is put an alternator in it since ive owned it, besides general maintenance of course.

Aetoc 01-11-2013 08:02 AM

I'm at 160k miles as well and there's nothing wrong with my clutch. I've even driven it pretty hard sometimes too...good 'ol Honda

mikey1 01-11-2013 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by ezone (Post 4628949)
Answers will be all over the map on this subject.

The life of a clutch depends entirely on the driver (almost zero outside factors).

Someone that can't drive a clutch can tear it up in mere seconds.

Someone good can make the clutch last the life of the car.

A car can be driven hard without putting undue wear on the clutch, too.

this is the perfect answer, exactly what i was going to say,

if a clutch is used PROPERLY there is no reason why it should not last the lifetime of the vehicle