7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: Do you use anti seize on your spark plugs?
yes
56.00%
no
44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Anti seize on plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is on a distinguished road
Anti seize on plugs?

Who uses anti seize on their spark plugs?

I found this TSB from NGK. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/pdf/tb-...1antisieze.pdf

NGK advises against using anti seize on NGK spark plugs.

If I don't use anti seize, will the spark plugs get stuck or bond to the engine over time?
Old 01-02-2013
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future
Re: Anti seize on plugs?

I alway use anti seize grease. I've changedy plugs 4 times now and have never had a problem. I've seen cars that's didn't use it... And they were not nice to get out... Especially because we have alum blocks.
Old 01-02-2013
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

I use it every time.
Old 01-02-2013

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Holy crap. You joined in '03?!
Old 01-02-2013

Also. You should always use a tq wrench and set it to the proper setting. Which is 13lbs I believe.
Old 01-02-2013
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I have been taught BOTH ways.
I have been taught different reasons both for and against.
Also about plug coatings vs. cast iron or cast aluminum heads.
I have seen many plug related disasters and had to deal with them over the years. (Sucks!)

More than one vehicle manufacturer says yes (in print), but plug manufacturer says no.
Example, C&P straight from an 02 Civic service info on the Honda site (because I already had it up):
  1. NGK:
    PZFR6F-11
    DENSO:
    PKJ20CR-M11
  2. Apply a small quantity of anti-seize compound to the plug threads, and screw the plugs into the cylinder head, finger-tight. Then torque them to 18 N•m (1.8 kgf•m, 13 lbf•ft).

Might be a matter of nobody can control the OVERUSE of anti-seize, or the use of the wrong type or anti-seize.....Definitely likely. (I have seen problems from this too.)

Therefore, blanket rules to keep idiots from ruining a good thing (JMHO).

Next question:
I found this TSB from NGK.
Can you find identical recommendations on websites of other spark plug manufacturers, like DENSO, AUTOLITE, CHAMPION, et al?

HTH
Old 01-02-2013
"Come to terms with your slow *** whip"

rjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the roughrjones7755 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
Also. You should always use a tq wrench and set it to the proper setting. Which is 13lbs I believe.
Ive always used the old fashioned "hand tight and a quarter turn" rule on all the cars i've worked on
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

i always use it on my NGK or DENSO plugs.just use a tiny tiny amount.
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

towguy87 is an unknown quantity at this point

never used it on plugs but mabe if i ever had one welded to the head i would try it cant hurt
Old 01-02-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by towguy87
never used it on plugs but mabe if i ever had one welded to the head i would try it cant hurt
If you find one welded to the head, that's a little bit too late to try it.

JS
Old 01-02-2013
Registered!!

towguy87 is an unknown quantity at this point

true enough just never had a plug stuck in a head is this more common on imports allways had v8s
Old 01-02-2013
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

I have never used it on any of my vehicles (3 Honda's). Never have had a plug even come close to getting stuck. Maybe its the NGK's coating.
Old 01-02-2013

Originally Posted by towguy87
true enough just never had a plug stuck in a head is this more common on imports allways had v8s

I only remember seeing spark plug thread galling on aluminum heads....

That makes the V8 part irrelevant since they can use aluminum heads too.

I have seen threads damaged from other causes too.
Old 01-02-2013
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

I've never used any on my civic. Three changes and torqued to 156 in-lbs. Never had a problem getting them out.
Old 01-02-2013

Originally Posted by GolNat
I have never used it on any of my vehicles (3 Honda's). Never have had a plug even come close to getting stuck. Maybe its the NGK's coating.
Most average people have experience with somewhere between zero and a handful of sparkplugs. Maybe dozens.

Someone like me may have done thousands.
I have probably only had to deal with.....maybe a couple dozen real problem plugs over the years. Pretty small ratio.....
But I have had to deal with enough to make me use every trick I can to avoid the problem.

The majority of the work I complete, I try to do it as though I am going to be the next person that has to take it apart several years from now.

I have never had the pleasure of doing any Ford 3-valve plugs. I do not want to work in a Ford dealer.
Old 01-04-2013
Registered!!

I've never used it before.

How much is a tiny amount and where on the plug threads do you apply it?

Do you apply it all over the spark plug threads and make sure it's coated?
Old 01-04-2013

OMG I just went looking for a pic in GIS and almost every one has far too much goop glopped onto the plugs (for MY liking).

(Maybe if I remember later, I might take a pic at work of how I do it.)

This is pretty close to what I would use. No more. Maybe a little less.
I like WHERE they put it.
You don't want the antiseize to be past the first thread. You don't want ANY chance that it can creep onto the important parts of the plug (electrodes).

With that tiny glob spread over the first three threads by hand, it will be spread over all the rest of the threads as it gets screwed into its hole.

I was reading the NGK bulletin, saw their pics of plugs that had been broken off due to overtightening. I completely understand their position on how antiseize acts as a lubricant and skews the torque process.
Also please note their pic is of a 10mm spark plug.

I just want to say, I tighten spark plugs by feel.
I can FEEL the gasket crush and I can FEEL when it stops crushing.
I know when to stop.

You can feel and visualize every step of the tightening process if you use a torque wrench on a dry plug and go slow. With "sensitive fingers".
You can't feel any of this if you act like a gorilla.

Once you can feel the entire process, you can apply what you learned to far more than your 14mm plugs, no matter what the specs are.
New Hondas are using 12mm plugs now. Lower torque spec. Still using a crush type sealing washer, so the FEEL is still the same.

Even an oil drainplug with its sealing washer.
Old 01-05-2013
Registered!!

mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
I just want to say, I tighten spark plugs by feel.
I can FEEL the gasket crush and I can FEEL when it stops crushing.
I know when to stop.
i agree.....

i have never in my life used a torque wrench on a spark plug.....i have had cars, motorcycles, boats, sea doos, snowmobiles, lawn mowers, snow blowers, etc etc....and i worked at an auto shop for a few years....

i have changed hundreds of plugs in my time....never one problem.....
Old 01-06-2013
Registered!!

If a dry plug is 13 lbs torque, what is the torque spec on a new plug with anti seize applied?

If I want to check and reinstall the plug, what is the used plug torque spec?

Since torque specs can be skewed on lubed plugs and inacurracies with torque wrenches, is it better to just give it a 1/2 turn after screwing it in finger tight?
Old 01-06-2013

Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by stock
If a dry plug is 13 lbs torque, what is the torque spec on a new plug with anti seize applied?

Since torque specs can be skewed on lubed plugs and inacurracies with torque wrenches, is it better to just give it a 1/2 turn after screwing it in finger tight?
Apply a small quantity of anti-seize compound to the plug threads, and screw the plugs into the cylinder head finger-tight. Then torque them to 18 Nm (1.8 kgf/m, 13 lbf/ft)

Last edited by Matt_75; 01-06-2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-06-2013

Originally Posted by Matt_75
Right out of Hondas service manual.

4. Apply a small quantity of anti-seize compound to the plug threads, and screw the plugs into the cylinder head finger-tight. Then torque them to 18 Nm (1.8 kgf/m, 13 lbf/ft).
Imagine that!

Apply a small quantity of anti-seize compound to the plug threads, and screw the plugs into the cylinder head, finger-tight. Then torque them to 18 N•m (1.8 kgf•m, 13 lbf•ft).
Old 01-06-2013

Oops! Missed that. Corrected.
Old 01-06-2013

There isn't one. You are not supposed to install it this way. Didn't you read the NGK information linked above?

13 ft-lb. No difference....unless it is lubed.

Maybe I should watch what I say, since carbon buildup in the threads can and will skew torque/clamping forces in the opposite direction. Experience and good judgement should rule?

Absolutely not. Not if you are trying to reuse a plug. (Assuming, since you asked about used plugs first.)

That 1/2 turn is for a brand new plug. The 1/2 turn is supposed to squash the sealing gasket, on the type of plugs that use a sealing gasket. A USED plug already has that gasket squashed...(Well, should have had its gasket squashed if it was installed properly the first time.)

Instead, go locate and read about how to install a tapered seat sparkplug.

If you could do this by "feel" there wouldn't be any question about what is happening as the part gets tightened.
Old 12-08-2013
Registered!!

Jim_Vanzant is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be using anti-seize from this point on due to the fact that I am one of those folks who have had a plug actually break while trying to take it out. I am hoping that the machine shop I am taking the head to can take care of that for me when they check out the rest of the head.
Old 12-13-2013
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jim_Vanzant
I will be using anti-seize from this point on due to the fact that I am one of those folks who have had a plug actually break while trying to take it out. I am hoping that the machine shop I am taking the head to can take care of that for me when they check out the rest of the head.
If you use anti-sieze I would recommend the bronze colored and not the more common silver colored type. I believe the bronze type is what is commonly used on O2 sensors.

I read an article once that the silver type is not designed for high heat and can harden causing the threads to strip when you remove the spark plug. I don't know if this is true but I did use it once on plugs and they were stiff when I tried to remove them. I ended up using penetrating oil and backing them out slowly ( half turn out, then quarter turn back in ). I figure with aluminum heads it is better to be safe than sorry.
Old 12-13-2013
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pjb3
If you use anti-sieze I read an article once that the silver type is not designed for high heat and can harden causing the threads to strip when you remove the spark plug.
Nah, as far as Loctite goes, the silver stuff is still rated for high heat (as long as you call 1600F high). The copper anti-seize is rated 200 degrees higher but I wouldn't think it would make that much of a difference. Technically, you could opt for the lubricant made with nickel and it would be rated for temps up to 2400F. Seems like overkill IMO.

http://www.sealanddesign.com/categor...Seize/449.html
Old 12-13-2013

Originally Posted by Poopies
Nah, as far as Loctite goes,
Loctite?????
Old 12-13-2013
Super Moderator

Poopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of lightPoopies is a glorious beacon of light

Loctite?????
Yup. I didn't know they made anti-seize until today.
Old 12-13-2013

Loctite and Anti-seize just don't seem like they should be used in the same sentence together. Polar opposites of each other.

I know it's the brand name, but the name implies a locking product to me.
Kinda like Kleenex is a brand even though it's what everyone calls any tissue.

Pffft...Nevermind me.
Old 12-13-2013
Super Moderator

Loctite and Anti-seize just don't seem like they should be used in the same sentence together.
Sounds better than Locloose