7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Civic hybrid,100K miles for 6500$ worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deter_dangler is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic hybrid,100K miles for 6500$ worth?

Hi Everyone,

I am new to driving and don't know any thing about cars and planning to buy a 2005 civic hybrid car with 100k miles on it for 6500$

Here are my questions on this:

1) How many miles will it last? another 100K miles?
2) Came to know that from 2005 onwards, timing belt change not required..Instead these cars have timing chain..??
3) I haven't taken it to the mechanic yet for any kind of inspection. But if the mechanic says, it can run for another 50K miles without any problem..Is it worth to buy for 6500$
4) I am going to be the 3rd owner,if i own it
5) KBB also showing the same price for the car.

Sorry if any of my questions are invalid or does not make sense at all

Thanks in Advance
Deter
Old 12-12-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 Civic hybrid,100K miles for 6500$ worth?

1) How many miles will it last? another 100K miles?

Until it blows up or you crash and burn?
Some stuff we just cannot answer.

Some people can kill a car in a short time. Some of these cars can go a half million miles. It just depends.

There is stuff on that car that nobody can answer, like asking about the life of the hybrid battery pack. We have no way to test that, the computers do all testing and decide when it is time to replace it.

You should have a dealership run the VIN to check for recalls that need done and see how long the IMA battery is covered under warranty.

Much CAN be answered and inspected though, just be aware that some things can't ever possibly be predicted.

The best you can hope for is to see what it is like right now.

2) Came to know that from 2005 onwards, timing belt change not required..Instead these cars have timing chain..??
True.
Hybrids have a chain.
Regular non-hybrid got a timing belt up until 05.
06 and newer all use a chain.

3) I haven't taken it to the mechanic yet for any kind of inspection. But if the mechanic says, it can run for another 50K miles without any problem..

Seriously. We can't predict the future.

Is it worth to buy for 6500$
Depends.

4) I am going to be the 3rd owner,if i own it
Did the previous owners take care of the car?
Got all service records?
5) KBB also showing the same price for the car.
OK.

Read my reply to this post: https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...king-tips.html

IMO, in addition to wanting someone honest, competent, and truly observant, I would want someone that is familiar with these cars to do the inspecting.

Also be very aware that most independent shops aren't equipped to deal with the electronics on these cars.
And even at dealers, usually only a select few people that should be touching the hybrid electronic stuff.

The rest of the car is pretty normal though: Brakes, suspension, fluid changes, filters, windows, and the like are all ordinary nuts and bolts work.
(The front brakes are not the same as regular civics though. We have had other shops say the aftermarket parts stores can't get the right pads and come get factory parts from us LOL.)

The CVT transmission takes a little bit to get used to. It doesn't drive (feel or act) quite like a regular automatic.
Some can shudder horribly on takeoff too, most people don't want to pay to fix that though.

HTH