7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another 02 with transmission problems !!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last2die is an unknown quantity at this point
Another 02 with transmission problems !!

Hay guys I have a 02 civic lx 145000 miles all was good in the world til today on the way home.

It goes into reverse no problem, 1st gear no problem, now on to the other gears. They all seem to be slipping NO grinding or any other noises.

Checked the fluid it's at he correct level and clean.

It may be the computer. Don't know just guessing.... Or maybe. New transmission?

I don't know how else to describe it but slipping... The rpm's are all over the place when it gets or trys to get out of first.

Is it worth taking to Aamco and having them figure it out maybe not a expensive repair? Or get a new one? I have a guy that has a 02 trans rebuilt all new parts for $575.00 and $200.00 to install. With a 2 year warranty all he does is rebuild trannys. If its a cheaper fix to take it to Aamco to adjust bands or..? I would rather save the money.

Please let me know what you guys think!!!

Tony

Last edited by Last2die; 07-11-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-11-2012
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Another 02 with transmission problems !!

is the engine light on? sometimes a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) can cause really bad shifting of the auto trans.
Old 07-11-2012
Registered!!

No check engine light ! Nothing at all

Tony
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

palsana is an unknown quantity at this point

i just drained my tranny fluid and noticed it to be very very dark. last2die, if total costs is under $800 with 2 yr warranty wow go for it. if you r in tx i will be more than happy to do it for my car too.
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

In ca. The transmission is 575.00 don't know if they ship I assume they would. I dropped the car off yesterday. I'll pick it up today. They do not use oem parts they use the Beefer aftermarket parts. They rebuild them in house and sell them wholesale.

Warranty is 2 years 24000 miles
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

gearbox if you figure that it may be TPS, in my 03 civicex there is not a seperate part you can buy at HondaAutomotiveParts or the likes.
the only aftermarket is available with AdvancedAuto and a link is posted below

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...P|GRP2030P____

Gearbox, what do you recommend doing
a)Replacing
b) Cleaning (which i have already done, more often now)
c) Buy the whole throttle body from ebay with TPS ($100+)

Please advise. I changed fuel filter/strainer and found out that i am having trouble shifting gears, (just changed tranny fludi with Valvoline MaxDerc ATF) & cranking and staying cranked up so i can drive and shift into gears.
Before fuel filter change, i was able to change gears, but now i do not have enough crank staying power to be able to put into any gear and move the car. The car will start but after trying to put in gear, it will shake vibrate and shut down.

I do have engine light on and p0730 code showing.

Originally Posted by gearbox
is the engine light on? sometimes a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) can cause really bad shifting of the auto trans.
Old 07-14-2012
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

if the tps is bad, you replace the whole throttle body. ive done that before with a $50 used ebay part (be sure to get the same trans type auto/manual as your car) and it worked fine. with a bad tps, the car will have extreme shifting troubles and get stuck in gears, but car should not shut off. that sounds like something happened when you changed the fuel filter. the pump is very delicate and maybe a piece broke and your engine is not getting steady fuel pressure.

but i checked your code and its P0730 Incorrect Gear Ratio. this is pointing to an internal problem with the trans, which i have no idea whether the fix is easy or requires a full rebuild. when i had the tps problem, the only code i got was for tps sensor high voltage. does your D light flash on the gauges?
Old 07-14-2012
Registered!!

does your D light flash on the gauges? NOPE.
the only code i got was for tps sensor high voltage? No Codes for TPS sensor. only p0730
if the tps is bad, you replace the whole throttle body. There is an alternative and its shown below

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLOX-THROTTL...sories&vxp=mtr

http://hondamarketplace.com/showthread.php?t=2420998

Blackworks TPS Sensor: Honda B/D/H Series (no pic available)

$26 online

Blackworks Throttle Position Sensor replaces the OEM TPS SENSOR without any modifications. The HONDA dealer only sells the TPS sensor along with the Throttle Body and it cannot be purchased seperately
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member

i would strongly recommend against replacing only the tps. very hard to calibrate it properly assuming the aftermarket part will work like oem. it might or might not. but tps doesnt seem to be the issue anyway. incorrect gear ratio means the trans is messed internally (solenoid or clutch issues, or valve body) or something is wrong with the pcm.
Old 07-15-2012
Registered!!

something is wrong with the pcm. What do you mean? Why would you think so?

If i cannot drive around the car, i wouldn't know if draining ATF fluid and changing ATF fluid ever worked!!!!!. i do understand p0730 and its a known problem.Atleast i was able to drive it around before this problem happened. Everywhere i look it says take care of all other codes before working on p0730. so i am diligently working towards it.
your recommendation to buy the whole Throttle body is what i plan on doing. I just wanted to run a CHEAPER alternative if possible. I guess not!!!!!. Its too complicated for a non-tech like me to assemble just the TPS sensor!!!!. Having cleaned it, is there anything else about the TPS that can be done. I have it taken out and re-assembled by a mechanic. It hasnt helped.
I suspect the ECU is getting the wrong message.
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member

the trans is computer controled for the most part. so if there is a problem, it would not be able to function hardly at all. i know someone that had a battery cable come loose while driving and when he reconnected it, there was a code for incorrect gear ratio and the trans wouldnt shift. turns out when the battery cable came off, a power spike from the alternator (battery acts as a surge protector for electricals) damaged the main computer.
Old 07-15-2012
Registered!!

Lets see, my car starts ok with some resistance but ultimately does. If left running for over 4 minutes it dies on its own. When revved up/accelerating at park, it makes a wierd noise.(like two metals screeching each other). If trans is computer controlled for this car, does changing fluid with additive make a difference. My tranny shifts pretty good, (it doesnt lock up and show resistance when putting it in R or D or D2). just when it falls into D that it dont wanna move forward, but die on its own. Other side is when put in reverse, and the car will move and run very well in reverse..I checked all the cables going into the tranny/throttle body. Also, i took out a back up fuse for 45 seconds and put back in ,took out the + side of the battery and put back in. still having the problem. trying to really pinpoint the problem. In summary

Car is now starting but not shifting in Gear( shuts off when put in Gear). whats the problem here?
Old 07-15-2012
Registered!!

whenever the throttle body or sensors are removed, you must complete the idle learn procedure otherwise the car will not idle properly. t

Gearbox i tried doing idle re-learn by taking out the 15# fuse described for idle problems in a thread by you!!!! My problem is i was able to warm up the car for normally 10+ minutes and then took out that fuse however, that did not help becoz the car would not start again? at all. Any suggestions. I did work on throttle body/iacv work today. (disassembled).
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member

it sounds like there are some serious problems going on with the car. most of which seem to point to the computer being faulty. removing and cleaning the tb/iac will throw off the idle a bit if you drive without doing the idle learn, but nowhere near what you describe with the car shuting off. it will just dip low sometimes coming to a stop or idle higher than normal. have you tried to plug in an obdII diagnostic code reader to the port and see if the device can connect? if it says error or cannot connect, its almost a sure thing the ecu is dead.
Old 07-15-2012
Registered!!

Yes, it will connect with the BOBD II code. It was done after the fuel filter repairs.
Idle re-learn only good if after removing fuse i can re-start the car!!!!.(i wasnt able to crank it up.
I also want to believe its the computer's ecu. becoz it seems to be getting wrong signals. any chance the starter/alternator is not working or is faulty. I get good cranks, even starts but dies in few (lessthan 4 secs).
It may very well be ignition timing, PCM or TPS.

But the car must first start and warm up before any can be tested.

Originally Posted by gearbox
it sounds like there are some serious problems going on with the car. most of which seem to point to the computer being faulty. removing and cleaning the tb/iac will throw off the idle a bit if you drive without doing the idle learn, but nowhere near what you describe with the car shuting off. it will just dip low sometimes coming to a stop or idle higher than normal. have you tried to plug in an obdII diagnostic code reader to the port and see if the device can connect? if it says error or cannot connect, its almost a sure thing the ecu is dead.
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member

also sounds like the timing may be off if it cant stay running. idk, on these newer cars it could be so many things to blame.
Old 07-15-2012
Registered!!

newer car, gearbox its a 2003 Honda Civic Ex 4dr
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member

by newer i meant 1996+ years with obdII.
Old 07-15-2012
Registered!!

You count 5th Gen hondas+ as new. interesting.
Old 07-15-2012
Premium Member

technically i could go back further, because obdI cars also were fairly complex and many had computers and electronics as well. you prolly have to go back to the 80s to find cars that just required a part to be swapped without all the fancy circuitry controling everything.
Old 07-16-2012
Registered!!

Wow a lot going On here, anyway just a update got the new or rebuilt tranny installed and the car is so quiet and runs great. I have no idea what was wrong with the other tranny they will break it down rebuild it and install it in someone else's civic !! So far good tranny good price. Anyone close to Cali I can pick up a 01-05 tranny for 575.00 and prior model I mean prior to 01 I think was 500 or 525..? Just in case anyone needs one...
Old 11-30-2012
Registered!!

sjrober1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey I know this is an old thread but last2die do you still have that info for a rebuilt auto tranny in CA? I have an 01 that just died... 575 is way better than the prices I am finding...
Old 02-14-2013
Registered!!

fsckewe is an unknown quantity at this point

BUMMPPPP!!!

Last2die, please come back. Reveal your source!