7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Snapped water pump bolt -- what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CivicN3wb is an unknown quantity at this point
Snapped water pump bolt -- what should I do?

I tried changing my timing belt today and got to the point where I was putting everything back together when tragedy struck. I was installing the new water pump and tightening the bolts down to 8.7 ft/lbs when one of the bolts snapped off. I have a feeling the pos Harbor Freight torque wrench I bought didn't click when it was supposed to, because the bolt felt pretty tight, but as I didn't hear any click (and the wrench didn't snap over like it's supposed to) I just kept going, and off snapped the bolt:

Name:  waterpumpbolt.jpg
Views: 4043
Size:  16.9 KB

I'm really upset with myself for letting this happen. I guess I should have stopped tightening the bolt when it felt pretty tight, but I trusted the damn wrench.

What would you suggest I do? Are three bolts holding the water pump in enough? Or, should I try to get the lower part of the bolt out somehow?

Appreciate your advice
Old 04-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Snapped water pump bolt -- what should I do?

Is there any portion of the bolt currently left sticking out of the block?
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Unfortunately not. The bolt was all the way in when I was tightening it and it snapped. It is the lower left bolt if you are looking at the pump.
Old 04-14-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

Your kinda screwed, take it to a shop and get the piece taken out. Sometimes when the torque specs are very low like 8.7 ft/lbs your better off to go by feel than using a torque wrench. It's not a click type is it?
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Yes, it is a click type torque wrench. Do you think there's any possibility of drilling it out or something?
Old 04-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

For sure, it's possible to pull it out with an extractor bit or drill out the bolt and install a helicoil, but those are things you might be better off having the shop handle.

For anything low torque I go by feel and use a bit of lock tight.
Old 04-14-2012
Registered!!

Thanks for your advice. It's dark outside now, but tomorrow I'll take a look at it and see if I can get a drill up where the bolt is. It doubt there's enough room, though. I would like to try it myself as I'm very short on money at the moment and may not be able to pay a shop to do this depending on how much they would charge.

Regardless of whether I try to do this or take it to a shop, if a drill can't fit up in there, would the engine have to be removed?
Old 04-14-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

It'll be tight, but a right angle drill should do the trick.
Old 04-15-2012
Whachya lookin at?

BlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond reputeBlueEM2 has a reputation beyond repute

For future reference. (Ive had about 15 shots so dont mind me ). Click type torque wrenches are NOT good for anything under about 40 ft/lbs. They are not accurate at all. You want to use what's called a "Beam" type torque wrench for anything that low because they keep their accuracy. However, just og by feel at that point... 10ft/lbs is not a lot of torque, your basically snugging up the bolt + a tad more.
Old 04-15-2012
Registered!!

Good news -- I got it out! I went to Lowes this morning and bought the stuff I needed to try to extract the bolt , but when I got home and took the water pump off I saw that there was about 1/32" of the bolt sticking out of the engine block; not very much, but I was able to grab it - just barely - with needle nose pliers and twist it out! When the bolt broke off last night I assumed it broke off in the engine, because that's what it looked like with the pump still on. I wish I had taken the pump off last night -- I would have slept a lot better! ;-)
Old 04-15-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Great news, man!
Old 04-16-2012
Whachya lookin at?

Great
Old 04-16-2012
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
scooty is on a distinguished road

I had the exact same thing happen to me, except there was nothing sticking out to grab hold off. A 90 degree drill didn't have enough room to fit. So I undid the rear and front engine mount and jacked the water pump corner of the motor way up to make room for the 90 degree drill. I got it out using an extractor bit.

Watch out for those valve cover bolts as well. I've stripped the threads in 2 of the bolt holes and had to use a heli-coil.
Old 04-16-2012
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Good problem solving there, amazing how much easier these obstacles become to solve with a bit of experience.
Old 04-17-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

double post FTL

Last edited by sl33pyriceboi; 04-17-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2012
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

just in case anyone else was wondering how you take out a broken bolt

[autostream]http://autostream.com/ibcivicforums/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=1229& transactionid=1334641678-7213460246&posted_by=sl33pyriceboi_www.civicforums .com&youtube_video_id=4wNhVivHloE[/autostream]
Old 04-17-2012
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light04 Honda Civic is a glorious beacon of light

For future reference. Use the right size torque wrench next time. Its best to used a torque wrench in the range you need.

Meaning is you need to tighten a bolt to 40 ft pounds. Buying a torque wrench that goes to 100 foot pounds is better over a torque wrench that goes to 200 foot pounds. Try to stay in the middle of the range of the wrench. (I have made this mistake..dont use a half inch torque wrench on small oil pan bolts..)

Last edited by 04 Honda Civic; 04-17-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Old 04-17-2012
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

When I was in the Navy, I was taught "choose a torque wrench so that your desired torque value lies between 20-90% of the range of the torque wrench"

One of the few useful things I've taken from the military
Old 04-17-2012
Registered!!

atbjr is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds pretty familar, i did the same thing when i was installing a trans kit,found out the hard way after i stripped the bolt, 10 in/lbs... NOT 10 ft/lbs