7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

General Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balzdpr is on a distinguished road
General Opinions

This is a suspension questions and although it should be in the suspension subforum im interested in many members opinions who may not check in there and have opportunity to give their perspective on the matter.

I have been wanting to purchase a coil over set, and tokico shocks to replace my current strut system. I thought "hey, why not lower the car too" so I have concidered a spring and shock combo that would give me a two inch lowing. I found good prices for these items at Corsport.com and at Nuespeed.com the parts are compatible with our cars. I was talking with the salesman at Corsport and he said that the system configuration I was concidering would not be a direct bolt on application but a cut and piece application. Mainly cut the old **** out and weld the new **** in or something like that, I kinda got lost when my mind hit overload at the thought of the projects difficulty. So I called a local dealer here in town and asked them how much it would cost me and rather or not they could complete a task like this. The guy said "hey, why you gonna do that?" At which time I took the time to tell him because im not rich and cant afford a $1,000 or more strut replacement system that I wanted to buy the parts in smalller more managable sections. He told me I could get Tein street basis for like the same price I would spend for all the springs and shocks that I inially inteded too. And that the performance of the bolt on replacement would be better and be around $800.00
Is the Tein Street Basis a good strut system? Or can I get what I intended and have the same comprability? Or is this guy trying to **** me over? I know some people who could replace the struts for me if they are bolt on and possibly if it needs to be cut out. Basicly I m curious what you all think here. I dont need immediate answers I I wont begin to buy the product until next month.
Any info would be good, anything.
Old 12-01-2011
A true genius admits that he/she knows nothing.....CLOSED SAT/SUN

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all
Re: General Opinions

What is your overal goal? just to have the car lower for looks or are you looking for performance as well?
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Mostly for looks now. As the car doesnt have the power or does it get driven to a point where the current OEM suspenion is over worked.
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

But I want to have some fun in the car so it has to handle well.
Old 12-01-2011

Gunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to allGunner is a name known to all

An option to save money is just buy the drop springs..nuespeed has a good 2" drop spring that runs fine on stock suspension. Along with the Tein S tech springs, although those are only 1.2-1.5 in drop. This is the cheapest way to drop it for looks without loosing much of the factory feel(from what I read). The other guy is not trying to screw you, the teins have had good reviews but coilovers in general are going to be expensive.....
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

In last months Super Street I read that rocking the springs without the shocks upgraded can give a bouncy look. (I kinda like that look.) Will just putting the springs on and using OEM shocks give that bouncy look. The 2" drop look springs you talk about are the ones I am getting.
Old 12-01-2011

I know a guy who has them on his 8th, looks good and is stiff, rides nice no bouncing. I am not 100 percent sure on 7th gen but you should be fine..You will still need to do an alignment and all that but let the springs settle for a week or so first.
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Cool! Great Info It helps.

Anyone Else????
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

HondaDr is an unknown quantity at this point

D2 racing also does a fairly cheap drop spring for your car. I have a couple friends who have them on EK's and like the ride and look. Its about a 2inch drop.

http://www.xsrezone.com/us/Suspensio.../prod_555.html
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

D2 is far overpriced for what you're given, no one who truly understands suspensions and isn't sponsored by them would even consider them. Thanks for chiming in and suggesting something though HondaDr (srs). I've seen the shock dyno for d2, I almost laughed, it's that bad.

Corsport employees idiots, tokicos and springs are completely bolt on, I have no idea what you would cut.

Tein street basis are good, they'll give a bit of performance increase and will ride very smooth. One of the areas where Tein really shines is producing products for street use, with racing quality, that don't completely throw away ride quality. The street basis coilover is mainly geared towards providing comfortable adjustable lowering, less performance.

Tokico blues can only be lowered 1.8" before over stressing them, Neuspeed springs are a 2" drop, that pairing would give a bit of a bouncy ride and the life span would be shortened. Tokicos and Eibachs or Tein springs would be a better match. Koni Streets would work well with Neuspeed springs, or any other stiff lowering spring.

Bouncy rides are created by a spring rate being to high for the damper it's paired with; a stiff lowering spring on a stock shock would make the car feel like a pogo stick, for example.
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

HondaDr is an unknown quantity at this point

Mindbomber, Thanks for the info its always nice to know about how good or bad some brands are. I was unaware of this we D2.

I run tokico Illumina'a with Eibach sportline springs my self. Great set up for the money I think.
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Illumina's and Eibachs are an awesome pairing, good choice
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Exellant great info. For a first timer wanting to keep the price down im interested in these comments. Im shocked that some guy at Corsport would explain the process of cutting to me if it just were not true. But as you say, idiots. I like Neuspeed I want the 2" drop and am interested in them for many reasons they perform well as I can research, they look good, and now apparently the are easy to install. The shocks Im not so sure about. To tell you guys the truth I like the bouncy effect very much I think it is an excellant throw back look and I love the throw back styles. Because im not in this to waist money i will take your suggestions and comments into coincideration and invest in the best match possible. The overall goal is to put larger diameter wheels on with thinner walled tires but that is in the future.
Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

maybe corsport thought you were talking about a strut insert like koni. that would require you to cut the stock strut. as for TIEN street basis setup that replaced the TIEN basic which were known for blowing the street basis is new so you couldn't get a good review on its reliability that would definitely deter me.
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Im talking about this thingyand this thingyand putting them in place of this thingy

Can it be done? LOL Woah! Thats alot of ****.

Last edited by Balzdpr; 12-01-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Bitch wont let me show it bvut here is the link http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index.php?p=page&page_id=part_picker&make=Hond
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

http://www.hondapartscheap.com/index...OCK%20ABSORBER

Old 12-01-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

this is a koni strut INSERT procedure
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ion/index.html
Old 12-01-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

When we say bouncy, it's not low rider bouncy, bouncy as in shitty ride, essentially a very expensive version of riding on blown struts.
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

Tigers' like to bounce.
Getting your point here. Im going to have to read this whole thing cause im going to make this work.
Old 12-01-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,446 Likes on 1,201 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

if yer going for the neuspeed, i do think it had a very higher rear spring rate, so don't need stiffer rear sway bar (warning done).
and if you asked corsport guys about the insert, yes, it's a lot of work. if normal shocks, they are bolt-in and better be done with the springs (same work anyways).

PS: What do you mean by coilover set and tokiko shock?
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

The coils or springs and the shock the tokicos together they make a set.
Old 12-01-2011
A scene before your eyes

you have to be kidding me! This is going to be a ****ing nightmare. I read the entire article. I'm going to admit that I'm not going to be able to do this alone. I'll keep you guys updated with this build and provide photos.
Old 12-03-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

dude...
that's for inserts, not usual shocks...
Old 12-04-2011
A scene before your eyes

Ahh. Ok.
Old 12-04-2011
A scene before your eyes

Old 12-05-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

doing shocks/springs is less than an afternoon work, bolt out, bolt in. Then alignment. unless something is frozen in place.
If you get insert type, then you need to cut and weld to put the inserts inside the shock body to replace the innards of the strut but keeping the body.
Therefore, just do not get the insert, just the normal strut/shock and you can easily do yerself in the driveway, like so many did before.
Old 12-06-2011
A scene before your eyes

Ok bare with me for a second. So the current way Im intendeding to go is for is insert? Really I just would be better off saving for a full strut replacement like the Tein Basis?
Old 12-06-2011
PITA Admin
Administrator

jus' get the normal struts, is what all are saying
Old 12-09-2011
A scene before your eyes

Ok. Cool.Ill save for those instead of buying the pieces for which make up the insert concept, seperatly.