7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Should I buy an 01 EX?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pdakid is an unknown quantity at this point
Should I buy an 01 EX?

Hi everyone, I'm a complete n00b to Civics, never even owned a Honda before... I found an 01 EX 2 Door with decent miles at a decent price, I just wanted to see what you all think about the car.

I guess from what I've researched its the 1.7 w/vtec D17a2... Seems to be the most powerful of the series, but seems pretty weak still- I would def be putting a few bucks into performance parts, but I'm not having much luck finding anything or any reviews/dyno numbers.

I'm coming from a Focus that has just about the same stock number but is much torquier and excellent around corners.

My goal would be ~180WHP and ~175ft/lbs trq (NA if possible if not a small turbo) and a good enough suspension to not be eating cones all day. I guess civics aren't awesome in the corners, and that's a must have for me.

So would anyone suggest going for the car or holding out for something better?

Also, what are the most common issues with this car and is there anything to look out for before signing the papers?
Old 08-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Should I buy an 01 EX?

Bone stock a d17a2 dynos at 100-110whp. 180whp would be achievable with k-pro and a decent turbo kit. It could also be done NA with an aggressive bottom up engine build using slightly higher compression pistons and stage 3 cams, k-pro would be a must.

7th gens do however handle very well, especially with a decent set of coilovers and a nice rear sway bar.
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

pdakid is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply.

I see the K-Pro modifies the ECU physically... Is there no way to just flash the ECU and get a custom tune at a dyno shop? (in the focus world you can buy an SCT flasher that will store all your tunes in the programer and you can change them anytime via OBDII)

Oh one more question- From what I gather Honda engines are somewhat mix and match, could you swap in a better head or bottom end that would be better than just modifying stock?

Originally Posted by MindBomber
Bone stock a d17a2 dynos at 100-110whp. 180whp would be achievable with k-pro and a decent turbo kit. It could also be done NA with an aggressive bottom up engine build using slightly higher compression pistons and stage 3 cams, k-pro would be a must.

7th gens do however handle very well, especially with a decent set of coilovers and a nice rear sway bar.
Old 08-23-2011
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pdakid
Thanks for the reply.

I see the K-Pro modifies the ECU physically... Is there no way to just flash the ECU and get a custom tune at a dyno shop? (in the focus world you can buy an SCT flasher that will store all your tunes in the programer and you can change them anytime via OBDII)

Oh one more question- From what I gather Honda engines are somewhat mix and match, could you swap in a better head or bottom end that would be better than just modifying stock?
Early generations are capable of having chipped ecu's and running systems like chrome and neptune, ours cannot be chipped in that way unfortunately. K-pro or a piggy back ecu are really the only options, although you could in theory attempt to use megasquirt. A piggy back ems system will work for turbo or n/a, you'll just make significantly lower gains, have more difficulty tuning and it won't be quite as reliable.

Our engine is overly mix and match, you can swap a d17a2 head onto a d17a1, but that's about it. If you wanted to k-swap then you have the option of building a k20/24. It's really the older generations that you can mix and match the most though and those engines cannot be swapped into a 7th gen.
Old 08-23-2011
Registered!!

hath33 will become famous soon enough

I'm very pleased with my 01 civic. If your looking to buy one make sure that the timing belt has been changed with proof like receipts. Make sure a/c clutch engages and blow cold air. i would be looking to pay about 5500 if the car is in great condition like very minimal dents no paint oxidation i paid 4000 for my civic when the economy was horrible and everyone needed the cash but today the Kelly Blue Book Value is i thing 5000 to 6000 i might be totally off :/ ive been trying to sell my dads truck and i might be getting the values mixed up but go on KBB and check out how much the car is worth. Its not too hard to tell the difference between a good and bad civic just take your time listen for any strange sounds, check the tires make sure there is even wear, Physically check the oil before you buy it if its clean you know they took care of the engine check all fluid levels ( if someone is trying to sell you a car and all the fluids are out of whack imagine how hes been treating the car plus most people never do this) just make sure you find out if the owner really was taking care of his car and you should avoid getting a lemon. this pertains to most used vehicles i hope this helps.
Old 08-24-2011
SubVerSive

CiviStang is an unknown quantity at this point

New o1 civic LX coupe owner here. No gripes thusfar. everything i have read and researched points to a car that will last a very very long time with routine maintenance.

I cannot speak for handling and or driveability as of yet,, as I just completed some repairs and upgrades , registering the car in the morning, then its of to the paint shop this Monday for some new Nighthawk Black Pearl. then Rims etc etc etc.. its addicting.. and this is coming from a Mustang guy.

I would not hesitate if the price is right. even if the car you are looking at needs a lil TLC. just reflect that in the price you will be paying.
Old 08-25-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

01 ex sedan here. love it. best car yet.. ive gone from a 97 celica, to a 97 eclipse spyder, to my civic now. i dont think you will be disappointed.
Old 08-25-2011
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
johndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the roughjohndeerebones is a jewel in the rough

Is the car an auto or manual? The manuals would be fine. As for the autos they have a terrible rap in the early 7th gens. I bought mine with the transmission out at 142k and fixed it myself. That was an extremely long time for the stock one to last. Alot of them lasted 50 or 60k or less. Don't get me wrong, love the car, but you need to be aware. There is a ton of info out there about it. Google it if needed. As for the hp, realistically this is an econobox. It is no power house by any means, but with the power the vtec gives and the tourqe multipication of the automatic it has good enough zip to merge on the highway and such just fine. Its not a race car for sure, but it does well. It may only be that many hps, but it is probably lighter than the focus was. (guessing, not checked out).
Old 08-25-2011
Registered!!

Lilazndude646 is an unknown quantity at this point

My first (and current) car. It is good for me, even though mine doesn't have vtec, but it does save gas . Even without it, sounds amazing, good performance, and i always take corners like a madman haha.
Overall, its a good car.
Usually get 320ish miles per fill up, and spend 35 bucks every 1 and a half week. But this is coming from someone who rabbit launches most of the time. :P
Old 08-25-2011
Registered!!

vfr661 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by johndeerebones
Is the car an auto or manual? The manuals would be fine. As for the autos they have a terrible rap in the early 7th gens.
Stay away from the 01 civic with auto tranny. My mom's 01 Civic EX auto tranny required a rebuild after 120K.

Also beware of the input shaft bearing on the manual tranny. I had to replace it on my 02 civic EX. It's a PITA job to do.
Old 08-25-2011
CivicChick2001

civicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to allcivicchick2001 is a name known to all

i got a stick shift
Old 08-27-2011
I am Epic

Civicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trustedCivicnoobie should not be trusted

01s are good, but just so many ppl consider a 10yr old car old and outdated.
Old 08-27-2011
Registered!!

7genmarathon is an unknown quantity at this point

I miss my 01 ex...