7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

question about pulling engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
waddle313 is an unknown quantity at this point
question about pulling engine?

Ok so i have a 02 ex 5spd civic w/ 130k miles on it. My headgasket has been pushing compression to the cooling system for over a year, and about 20k miles, now. I just fill and bleed the system when every time coolant reservoir fills up, which is every 3 to 6 weeks depending on how much I drive. I'm thinking about finally fixing the car before winter comes but wondering how is everyone on here pulling the engine? From the top or bottom? whole drive train or removing the trans first?
Only reason i'm thinking about pulling the whole engine is because i have also never put a clutch in the car, ive owned the car since it had 11 miles on it. So i figure if i'm going to do the headgasket why not just put a clutch in it also to get it over w/. I hate to put a clutch in it before it goes bad but i also don't want it to go out on me in the winter and the clutch reservoir is at the min line so i assume i'm close to needing a clutch anyway.
One last question.... i'm not a fan of reusing head bolts... they make an ARP head stud kit for this engine i'm sure but do i have to get the older d16 kit? I just never see much that is specifically labled 1.7l

Sorry in advance for my ignorance for this car and parts avalibility. Its just my daily driver and I put all my efforts into a different car i have. I do all the work to the car but only have had to change the timing belt and alternator on the car since ive owned it. its been a great car!
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of
Re: question about pulling engine?

If you don't have a lift then pull it from the top. You'll have to remove the hood. Just pull the whole engine/tranny assembly. It's fairly simple to pull the tranny by itself but, not the other way around.

The OEM studs are cheap: http://www.hondapartscheap.com/south...t=0&quantity=0
Old 07-23-2011
EM2ti

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
maxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of lightmaxtierney is a glorious beacon of light

I've pulled an engine without a lift or a cherry picker. It's the ghetto way. Loosen all engine mounts, lift up the front of the car with a floor jack, place block of wood under the engine/tranny, pull the mounts, slide the everythng out the front.

ARP Head Studs aren't D17 specific. Use the D16Z.

http://www.dezod.com/pd_arp_head_stud_kithonda.cfm

Good luck.
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

I figured pulling it from the top will be the easiest route to go. when you do that are you able to get the engine/trans assy on a good enough angle to pull it out w/ out pulling the subframe?
Old 07-23-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

The sub-frame (engine cradle) won't come out the top. You have to drop it to remove the engine from the top. With the hood removed the engine will come straight out the top.
Old 07-24-2011
Registered!!

lol.... ^^ i know the subframe has to be removed from the bottom. i'm not that much of a newb