7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scissor Jack replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thefatalepic is an unknown quantity at this point
Scissor Jack replacement?

I bought a used 2001 Civic EX and it doesn't have a jack or anything inside.

I found the little scissor jack at http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com but I'm too stupid to understand all the item descriptions.

Can someone explain to me why there are two of each item? Also, why is one version of each item more expensive than the other? Lastly, is there one on there that just lets me buy the whole tools+jack stuff? I see "Tool Set" and "Jack Assy." but again, there are two of each and one is more expensive than the other
Old 03-15-2011
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Scissor Jack replacement?

The jack was around $22 and the #8 that goes to all the tools shown is the complete tool kit with the bag.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...ols%20-%20Jack

Last edited by CraigW; 03-15-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

more expensive can prolly lift a heavier car.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
more expensive can prolly lift a heavier car.
That sounds semi-reasonable. But what's bugging me is why is there a more expensive wrench, and a more expensive tool set?

I'm almost going to order the more expensive of each because it might be "better" but I really have no idea and am afraid of wasting my money.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
The jack was around $22 and the #8 that goes to all the tools shown is the complete tool kit with the bag.

http://www.hondapartsnow.com/Page_Pr...ols%20-%20Jack
Thanks! I didn't browse around but this site is waaaay better. I put in a 2001 Civic EX 4DR and I got the double items for each again. BUT on that site it shows that the difference is some are USA,CAN and the duplicates are JPN. The (what I'm assuming is) Japanese versions are way more expensive - I wonder if there's a reason why - but I'll order the USA,CAN since my car was made in Canada anyway.

NOTE: Everything on the site you provided is about 50 cents more expensive than the one I was looking at. But I'll gladly pay them for having a more informative parts site
Old 03-16-2011

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

The application for the 89310-S5A-013 does shows the Accord, the other # for the jack only shows Civic.

I would go with the cheaper tools... and maybe even the cheaper jack. The damn things are very dangerous in anything but ideal conditions, even then you have to watch closely.

You can get a Larin corp scissor jack from the auto parts store, not sure of the cost or if it will stow away the same as original would.
Old 03-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

wait, what? Where'd the "most expensive jack" part come from?

There's only one jack, #5 in the drawing, part number 89310-S5D-A12. The #8 on the drawing is the tool set by itself

Little breakdown of the drawing
1) 71969-SA7-890 Sunroof Wrench
2) 89000-S01-A00 Tool Set (DX/LX - No sunroof)
3) 89101-S01-A01 Tool Bag
4) 89211-SE3-003 Wheel Wrench
5) 89311-S5D-A02 Jack Warning Label
6) 89310-S5D-A12 Jack Assembly
7) 89320-SL0-003 Jack Bar
8) 89000-S01-A10 Tool Set (EX Model - w/ Sunroof)

If you wanna buy just the jack, just buy number 5 at about $20. If you want the tool set, buy #8, which is at a package price of $10 or so instead of $43 buying everything separate.
Old 03-16-2011

If you look under 2 door it only shows that one, searching 4 door EX brings up both #s.
Old 03-16-2011
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

ah, went into autopilot mode and instinctively clicked 2-door.
Old 03-16-2011
Registered!!

Does the Larin Scissor Jack lift more weight? If it works better I'm for it - the only reason I'm getting the itty bitty scissor jack is because it doesn't take up much space. But if there is a better scissor jack (even if it's slightly bigger) I wouldn't mind.

EDIT: Looks like 1 1/2 Tons, does anyone know what the Civic scissor jack holds?
Old 03-16-2011

The base on the Larin is small and cheap at 135mm x 95mm. My 8th gen has the same part #s for the jacks as yours my base is 30mm x 85mm base but has extra lip around to reinforce. Larin has a swivel top where it meets the body, original only a groove.

Larin = 17" x 4"
Original = 14.5" x 3"

I had a nice 2 1/4 ton hydraulic with the plastic case I used to carry around but it developed a leak. I really hate the cheap scissors jacks and donut spare tires as well.

Luckily, tire technology and reliability is much better these days... but you still get flats and the jacks are just not safe IMO.

Last edited by CraigW; 03-16-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-16-2011
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i just realized what you meant about different prices. alot of items have usa and japan origin and the japan is always more expensive. the parts are the same tho and i doubt you can tell the difference.
Old 03-17-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
i just realized what you meant about different prices. alot of items have usa and japan origin and the japan is always more expensive. the parts are the same tho and i doubt you can tell the difference.
Ohh, Ok. That's what I was sorta leaning towards but I wanted someone to confirm. Thanks!