7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

head swap possible?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amishman22 is on a distinguished road
head swap possible?

read the thread about swapping the dx head for an ex vtec one and was wondering if anyone knew anything about what engine size it requires or anything like that. I have a friend that has an h22 motor that he's got to get rid of and i was going to take the head off that one to swap with mine. Didn't know if this was possible or if i had to get a head of a civic of the same year. anyone knows please inform me. thanks. i have a 2005 civic dx.
Old 09-29-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold
Re: head swap possible?

hahaha, wow dude, an h22 is a dohc engine, and wont just bolt up, ur only option is to get a d17a2 head, and put it on, read the thread again
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

hypnotic20 is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference between the d17a2 head and d17a1 head are very negligible. In fact I believe they are the same except for the internals.

I think a little common sense could have told you that the H22 wouldn't even bolt onto a d17, as they are two different engines.

Does anyone have an example of a head from a different engine model fitting another engine block?
Old 09-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

for all the work to set it up and install, vtec head is not gonna give much gains.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

actually it allows you to tune better and get at least ten more horse out of your car. so what would i have to get the d17a2 head out of to get ready to put it on my car?
Old 09-30-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

make sure it has the vtec solenoid on the head, then you need to take the head to a machine shop to get the compression checked, cleaned up and lubed with assembly grease, and possibly resurfaced if it has warpage. then you need oil and coolant, all the gaskets (head/IM/header), new head bolts, and a good manual to tell you all the torque specs and the order the bolts go in. then to run it in your car, you either need a new EX ecu (manual or auto), and a dealer to reflash a new key for you, or you could hook up a VAFCII on the old LX ecu and tune it on a dyno. this is more risky because alot of factors go into engaging vtec, and if you dont use a proper ecu, you may have problem down the line. vtec engagement depends on throttle position, coolant temp, oil pressure, and engine rpm. so having it engage at a set point all the time with the VAFCII will not take any of that into account. be sure you run a wire from the vtec solenoid to the ecu as well when you get done. if all that is worth 10hp, then go for it.
Old 09-30-2008
Registered!!

well thanks. glad to see your so enthused about it.
Old 10-01-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold

Its a pretty easy swap if you know what your doing..But when you asked if an H22 head would fit that gives me series doubts seing as thier not even the same series of Honda engine. Its like comparing a 350 to a cavalier engine becasue thier both chevy's.

Get an EX head should have the vtec sylnoid on the left side(when your looking at the exhaust side). And swap it out. And easiest and cheapest way to make it work is the VAFC II. But you will also want to ge tthe exhasut of the EX you stole the head from(full exhaust) becasue the dx/lx and ex exhaust manifolds are diffrent and bolt to the exhasut in diffrent places. You could use the dx/lx manifold but your not going to get all the power out of the swap.

Ive got a DX with an EX engine in it running the VAFC II to make it operate, and thats been 5 years and running. But that was in the early days of d17 tuning, and I bought the car with a blown engine in it.

But looking to get 10hp gains?? ehh maybe on the top end, but the non-vtec actually has better low end power than the vtec.

I'd say if your going to DIY spend the extra $1000 and K-swap it to get an extra 100hp... but thats just logical thinking on my part.

Last edited by ajhdragon; 10-01-2008 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2008
Registered!!

noobie question here but what exactly is a k-swap? cause i like the sound of 100 horse.
Old 10-02-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

ajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to beholdajhdragon is a splendid one to behold

K is the series of engines found in the RSX and TSX, and Civic Si. They have K20's and K24's both dual overhead cam engines. The RSX-S puts out like 225 or somethign like that..(Mind that to the crank) Where the D17a2 puts out 127 to the crank.
Old 10-02-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

But lets keep in mind a full swap isn't for the Noob. It includes new engine, tranny, mounts, brackts, electrical..etc. Basically everything under the hood and them some.

Most shops can get it done in a couple days as long as all the parts are there.
Old 10-02-2008
Registered!!

so thats outta the question. looks like all ill be able to do is get a new exhaust, swap the heads and then get like a new cam gear haha.
Old 10-02-2008
Premium Member

how much does it usually run if you goto a shop, have them get k20a2 and install it. just curious
Old 10-02-2008
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

ust consider its 6k for everything u need appx for the motor and ****, now consider about 16 hours labor, at 100 bucks an hour...
Old 10-03-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

Ive never gone to a shop to get a swap done. I know my guy charges most people $500 for a D to B series swap for labor, and gets it done in less than a day. He said he would swap a K in mine for $500 so that means most people would probably be looking at around $800-$900.

A shop given thier overhead I say probably around $1500.
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

mfusco78 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have been looking around to do a head swap.. and amidst my find.. i actually found a company called gude performance.. one of the few things i found easily as far as head kits go.. them make one for the d17a1.. it converts to the dohc package.. its ported and polished and a whole bunch of other ****( didnt read in detail).. the package comes with an ecu, cams, butterfly throttle body, and the head( of course).. u haad to call for pricing.. a buddy of mine was gonna get one of their heads for his nova.. he said they make real good ****.. thats something i would look into.. i would google - gude performance..
Old 10-20-2008
Registered!!

BJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of lightBJanzen is a glorious beacon of light

haaha

Last edited by BJanzen; 10-21-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2008
7thgens official a$$hole

Originally Posted by mfusco78
i have been looking around to do a head swap.. and amidst my find.. i actually found a company called gude performance.. one of the few things i found easily as far as head kits go.. them make one for the d17a1.. it converts to the dohc package.. its ported and polished and a whole bunch of other ****( didnt read in detail).. the package comes with an ecu, cams, butterfly throttle body, and the head( of course).. u haad to call for pricing.. a buddy of mine was gonna get one of their heads for his nova.. he said they make real good ****.. thats something i would look into.. i would google - gude performance..
I checked thier website. The DOHC is for the 02-05 Si, which has a K20 in it. Which means its an upgrade of the already DOHC head. d17 would be a waste of time and money to mod up a DOHC head and make it work.