7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Tragic story (need advice)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carter is an unknown quantity at this point
Tragic story (need advice)

Few days ago here in Toronto it got ICE cold and all melting snow turned into ice.. my mom was taking the car out that morning and my car slid into my garage door backwards.

My garage is gone, totatled... but my spoiler took the hardship of it. It ended up being "ripped" off the top of the hood and cracked.

Now ill get pictures for it but.. im now wondering 1. what is the best way to join cracked plastic back together and 2. since i will have to retighen the bolts if possible, should i slide a little pieice of Dynamat inbetween to stop further rattle or will that make no difference? I already see the rubber piece there but i doubt its that good.

Oh and if anyone has any other suggestion on how to hold that bad boi back on there tighter then before please let me know. THanks.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

Re: Tragic story (need advice)

This is the damage at work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0207.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	73670   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0208.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	73671   Click image for larger version

Name:	SP_A0209.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	73672  
Old 02-21-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

Well, I guess be happy that it didn't jack up the car. Honestly you don't want it to hold any better than it did. If it would have been on there better it would have possibly damaged the car.

There isn't a pretty way that I know of to join cracked plastic. Maybe some strong adhesive, but it's still going to look damaged. The best you can hope for is for it to look like a small crack.

I'm not sure which kind of adhesive would not hurt the plastic or paint though.

Also, I'm not sure if Dynamat is what you would want to use, you'd want something that would hold up better to the elements, moisture, hot, cold.
Old 02-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

ouch. cracked plastic hmm, i would suggest using a special epoxy made for plastics, but be careful because it does melt the plastic a little to form a good bond, so do not let it get on anything except what you wanna glue together.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

Well gear where can i get that from like a hardware store of some sort? What about getting that spoiler to get back on there tighter good idea?
Old 02-21-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

the dynamat should be fine, ive had some on my license plate for a few years and its still there. epoxy should be in any auto/hardware store, there are a ton of different kinds, make sure you get one for plastics. it says on it. comes in two tubes of stuff that you have to mix to activate, then you use it while its soft and it hardens over time.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

Connie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the roughConnie is a jewel in the rough

Epoxy should definitely work. You could also use some touch up paint to cover the resulting crack.
Old 02-21-2008
Registered!!

DelawareDon is an unknown quantity at this point

If you want it to look really good, glue it back together with epoxy, then fill in the crack with body filler...sand smooth and repaint.