7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Engine knock? Predetination?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
youngjosh12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help! Engine knock? Predetination?

okay, so all i ever do is bring my troubles here, sorry guys...

Anytime I say "clicking" i mean "clicking or Knocking" or whatever it is I cant identify, just so you know before you read..
So I firt noticed this once I put my header/downpipe on, me and my friend put them on, and took it for a drive, the clicking/knocking was VERY quiet, and there was a little clicking, but only when the engine was dropping revs like when I put the clutch in, or for like maybe 200rpms somewhere in the 2k range. It was supper quiet and I summed it up to nothing, and that it would go away, and it did, but it would occasionally come back but nothing big and nothing that was concerning me a ton.
anyways, so I recently took a 300mile trip, and maybe halfway there there was this "clicking" or "knocking" sound, but only at a certain throttle position and between 2-3k rpms. But I thought that it was my ingalls torque dampner rattling, since it had been acting weird and moving some stuff around (like it didnt have proper clearance for the ABS, blah blah) basically i thought it had moved something or broke an abs part (since my abs is off) and that was rattling. I just ignored the rattling/knocking which was for most of the trip since I was at the right throttle position/rpms to hear it.
So today I took off the dampner, and it still rattled/knocked, but way louder than when i had first heard it/than it had ever done before. When you listen very closely you can hear it at idle when you have your ear up to the motor, but if you are on the throttle 100% you can not hear it at all/it doesnt do it. And its mainly lout between 2-3.5k rpms and only at like 2/3 throttle. I put the car up on ramps with it running and cannot really tell where it is coming from...its annoying me to death. I do have that oil burning problem, but I check it every time I start it and add oil accordingly, I have regular oil changes too.
Something else I thougth it may be, is that I just went from running 92octane fuel in the car for 2 years down to 87, just since I had been reading alot. Is it possible that this is just predetination?
I also didnt think it was possible for the engine to knock at just a certain rpm/throttle position, is that true? I do drive my car hard, ill admit, but this sound didnt like suddenly occur, I had actually been driving it really nice during the trip and such...ugh, I hope this isnt knock....a 800$ motor and labor to put it in isnt exactly fitting my college budget...

okay, thanks agian guys, sorry for the long post i just wanted to say everything, if anyone wants me to try and record the sound i can, but it might be hard since i dont have an amazing audio recording device. I hope this maybe just goes away, everywhere i go the sound follows me..my computer fan, doors creeking, even my mom cooking bacon...ugh, thanks!

Last edited by youngjosh12; 05-17-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Help! Engine knock? Predetination?

whens the last time you had a valve adjustment that could be the culprit mine clicks also directly under the valve cover its a very common procedure and is relatively cheap.
Old 05-17-2009
Pistol grip pump in my lap at all times

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

After I replaced my head gasket and got my head milled I had to readjust my valves, and it clicks a little too. Ive had a knock in my 98 turbo civic and believe me, you will know.
Old 05-17-2009
Registered!!

But its not directly below the valve cover, I dont think it sounds like that at least. But I've never had them adjusted, unless they are adjusted by Honda for the 100k tune up, so maybe thats it? Is only knocking at certain rpm a symtom of valves being out of adjustment?

As far as "i will know" lol, you dont really know me then! haha but does engine knock always occur throughout the whole rpm range (like all the youtube videos) or can it occur between only a few rpms and louder at certain rpms?
thanks guys!

Last edited by youngjosh12; 05-17-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Okay, so today while driving I really listened and played around with it and here's what I found:
Rpm does not matter, the sound is strictly determinded my throttle position. The sound clicks or ticks faster (still at a consistant rate) when at a higher rpm though. Also the sound only happens at idle when the car has been running a while. And the sound actually happens beteween 1/5 and 1/3 throttle.
Another thing is my intake almost sounds like a saw while on full throttle, like a quiet circlular saw.
Ugh, this whole thing is bothering me. I'm thinking that maybe something is loose in my throttle body area? Or maybe I'm just fooling myself. Its just the throttle position that is confusing me because "rod knock" on youtube videos is throughout all rpms/throttle postions.
Anyone have any insight? Thanks for dealing with my blabber all.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

When i switched from running 93 octane gas to 87 on my 2002 civic my engine also sounded different. The same thing happened to my cousins 06 civic ex. I did this like 20K miles ago and the sound either went away or i got used to it. I think what you here is normal. I can record my engine running if you want.
Old 05-18-2009

mr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the roughmr22508 is a jewel in the rough

Trust me, if you got a knock from predet or bent rod you will hear it! It is pretty damn loud.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

yeah, i've sort of rulled out predet because it doesnt "deisel" or anything like that. But it is pretty loud, but only when I'm on the throttle about 1/4ish or so. It's really quiet at idle when its been running about 1/2 hour or so.

but yeah, wallydude03, if you wouldnt mind, that would be so awsome, and like maybe if you wouldnt mind tweaking the throttle body a little so i can hear if mine has the same sound when you're on the throttle a little. I'll record mine tonight and post it up, i'm just not sure about the quality of the audio.

Do you guys think I should just switch back to 93? I dont mind the gas, lol, but this sound is making me very angry!

Thanks everyone again, ill try and record it tonight. Let me know if anyone else has any ideas...thanks!
Old 05-18-2009

Ill try and record mine too... I feel ya though with the craziness, I hate it when your car dont sound the way you want.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Okay, so I got a video of it here:
http://s287.photobucket.com/albums/l...t=VID00014.flv
I hope this helps if anyone can identify it! Also, I had someone suggest maybe it was sparkplug knock, maybe one was fouled out (from running the car with too much oil about 20k ago) Or possibly a bad coil pack. Any thoughts on that? Thanks again to everyone!
Old 05-18-2009

Dude...That is a ****ing rod knock or dead cylinder! Shitty man, but I know that sound. It's a pre-empt to hearing it all the way through the rpm band. And for a split second it will feel like you got more power, and then one day it will just quit workin... Better start workin on getting the money up for that k. Sorry dude.
Old 05-18-2009
Registered!!

Awh man, that stinks like really bad...not to be a dick but i really hope you're wrong mr225098 lol, you understand

Well, a k swap now would be like 3-4k, right? maybe it would be a smarter idea to just buy a D17a2 for 700$, and then labor would be alot cheaper since it would be the same exact thing, you guys think?
Idk, do you thihk if i drive it super nice it would last the summer? like i have 18k per year in college loans/grants that i dont need (i have free college) so do you think this would be a good investment or should i just get a new car?
hmm, im still going to bump back up to 93 octane fuel, change the oil, and change the sparkplugs. Hate to sound mean but agian, i reallly hope you're wrong mr22508!
I just dont know what could have caused this, like I've always kept up on maintence, and i push it hard, but there was never a catastrophic "boom" while pushing the motor...i guess motor knock can develope over time, and only really be noticed in a two weekish period? ugh, fml, lol. anyone have anything else maybe? hope? lol, free D17a2? free helping me pull this old motor and put the new one in????!?!??! lol, or i'd pay you! $$ haha, thanks
Old 05-19-2009

If you drive it real nice and keep up the maintenance, you might be able to get through the summer. Another d17 swap out is a good cheap way to keep your car running. There is a sight called car-part.com that gives you access to salvage yards all acrossed the usa. They have high mile, mid mile and low mile engines for fairly cheap. And if ya find one in your location, you can even save on shipping. I hope I'm wrong too bro. I just know that sound...Even my wife cringed when she heard that sound, cause it caused me to lose my 98 vic, which I put alot of money into.

But a d17 straight across swap should be fairly simple and easy, so if worse comes to worse, you could do that. But like I said man, I HOPE IM WRONG TOO!
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

wallydude03 will become famous soon enough

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...t=MOV03690.flv
Old 05-19-2009
Registered!!

red02ex is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry to say buddy that im 90% sure that its a rod knock... if your able to to save yourself the labor time pull the pan yourself and stain the oil out of it and check for metal under the bafel plate.... i had 120k on my motor and bam rod knock.. stuck in a d17a...took me about 10hrs(mine was under warrenty and i did my own work at my old shop) .. average labor time is going to charge you about 8-10hrs at roughly 80-90 bucks an hr... personally if you can afford it k-swap it...but if you can i would have the shop toss in a new clutch and lightweight flywheel while there in there
Old 05-20-2009
Registered!!

jagass is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoa..That sucks...