7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Upgrading suspension on 02 Civic - where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02AutoExCoupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Upgrading suspension on 02 Civic - where to begin?

Hi,

I have an 02 Civic EX Coupe and want to improve the handling of my car. This idea came to me after driving to big bear this afternoon and noticed something about my car- the back end seems to want to swing out on corners and thought for a second I was going to lose control and spin out. I want to fix this.

Not really too big into upgrading my car ( want to keep the engine stock) but just want to make my car more solid around corners. I dont mind lowering, but dont want my car to be too low where it looks like I modded it- still want to keep the appearance basically stock. I had a 99 civic before and it was lowered 1 1/2" this was too much for me.

Oh yah, another question. For some reason when I look at my car it appears as if the rear end of the car is slighty higher than the front ( kind of like a truck or muscle car) is this correct are these civics known to have an uneven stock suspension? Maybe im just imagining it.

Thanks for any help
Old 04-26-2009
Registered!!

otbexige is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Upgrading suspension on 02 Civic - where to begin?

You should check out Swift Springs. They only lower the car 1inch and they claim that you will not lose any feel or handling. On the contrary, they claim that their springs improve on stock. I've ordered a set for my 03 sedan and I've had a friend use several sets on many cars like S2k and he swears by them. I figure, if you lower it too far, its dumb cause you screw the handling of the car. A decent spring, will allow for good performance without compromising the integrity of the overall feel. This is just food for thought though.
Old 04-26-2009
Registered!!

Thanks for the reponse- those springs definately look interesting. Just curious as to how much something like this would cost me, and do I need shocks to go along with the springs?

Also, what about strut bars ( i think theyre called this)? What is the purpose of these, and whats the difference between front and rear strut bars.
Old 04-26-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

front prevent chassis flex tying the struts together same for back. upgrade your sway bars,bushings.get full coil overs to lower and stiffen .get roll center udjusters, camber kit,
Old 04-26-2009
Registered!!

Are full coil overs the samething as springs? And what if the only thing I do is add a upper front strut bar ( for now)... will this alone make my car handle better?
Old 04-26-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

full coilover is spring and shock together as one piece. upper front strut bar makes the steering wheel respond better while cornering (not as much play in the wheel from side to side). you can add a strut bar anytime and it will improve handling.
Old 04-26-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
full coilover is spring and shock together as one piece. upper front strut bar makes the steering wheel respond better while cornering (not as much play in the wheel from side to side). you can add a strut bar anytime and it will improve handling.
Thanks a lot for the info. First thing im going to do is get a upper front strut bar, and then lower my car 1" with the swift springs recommended earlier in this thread. I will see how this improves my car and go from there.
Old 04-27-2009
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
metalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nicemetalviper is just really nice

first of all before you start throwing money in the car, lets analyze what you are doing so that (im assuming) a stock civic is oversteering through a corner. are you braking hard?? at what point during the turn is the rear end getting loose?? when was the last time you had an alignment?? what are your tire pressures?? these can all severely effect the way your car will handle more than lowering the car an inch or adding useless chassis bracing. and i have to disagree with gearbox's statement. a front strut bar does not directly alter roll rates what so ever, so saying it will improve handling is subjective and not necessarily quantitative. it only adjusts "feel" between driver and car.
Old 04-27-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

never mentioned anything about a strut bar improving handling. all i said was it affects steering wheel feel which is absolutely true. the last statement was to the op as a generalization toward his goal. altho now that i think about it, a more responsive steering wheel does make it feel like you have better handling. just like racing seats make you feel as if you can turn harder (because you dont slide around the seat). even if they do not directly affect the suspension, they still affect your perception and the driving experience.
Old 04-28-2009
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

the infamous placebo effect it effects alot of civic owners.