7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is my SI unique?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yellowfin is an unknown quantity at this point
Is my SI unique?

Okay, when I bought my '02 SI two years ago, I didn't bother to test others. However, after driving 3 different SI hatch in '02-'04 there is something unique about mine. The steering on my car is stiffer than any other SI I have driven. This isn't a bad thing. I prefer this to the "loosy" power steering feeling of normal cars. My car is entirely stock purchased from the original owner. I'm not into modifying cars and/or racing but I get the impression that this car's steering is geared towards racing with the stiffer steering?
Old 01-10-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is my SI unique?

maybe someone modified it before you bought it. with sway bars, springs, etc that made it handle better. could also be you have better tires than the others.
Old 01-10-2009
Registered!!

The car is 100% stock. It's not the tires because I replaced the OEM Michelin when I bought with Yokohama. This fixed the alignment big time. I was afraid I bought a lemon during the drive home. Luckily, it was the tires.
Old 01-10-2009
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

is it just that the wheel is harder to turn? or actual way that the car handles is tigher. maybe youre just low on power steering fluid lol.
Old 01-12-2009
Registered!!

The steering wheel "stiffness" is constant all the time, whether the car is going in a straight line or when I'm turning. It's not "hard" like cars without power steering. It's just not "loose" like on a new car say a Camry. Yes, I did check the power steering fluid. It's full.
Old 01-13-2009
Registered!!

CDN-Retard is an unknown quantity at this point

my mechanic tightened my steering wheel. it used to be loose (stock i guess)...but he said he tightened some bolt...basically to give it less play

I think he did it because he thought i'd like the "no-power steering" race car feel...

ask your mechanic if there is such an adjustment. it sounds like that's what it is.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

I think this must have been done by the original owner. Strange, though as I would have never pictured this guy to have this kind of mod done to the car. The initial owner was an older buisness suit kind of guy. The steering wheel has less play just like you describe. The car tracks straight on.
Old 01-14-2009
Premium Member

is there an upper strut bar on the car connecting the two struts together? that would also take away the play in the wheel.
Old 01-14-2009
Registered!!

no strut bar.