7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dswami1 will become famous soon enough
low end torque?

anyone know how to increase low end torque on our D17? I see almost all modifications that are available allow for increasing top end power, and almost always at the expense of low end torque. This includes headers and exhaust. The thing is, in everyday driving, its the low end torque that helps the most (2000-3500 rpm). I really couldn't care less about the torque/power output above 4000 rpm. I NEVER go that high anyways, waste of gas.

I recently found out that smaller diameter pipes actually increase low end torque, and hurt higher rpm torque. Likewise, larger diameter piping actually hurts low end torque and allows for more power at higher rpms. I feel dumb for buying a DC SCS catback last year.

anyways, anyone know how to increase low end torque?

This is a list of stuff that is known to hurt low end torque:
1) larger diameter exhaust piping on n/a
2) 4-1 headers with short, but large diameter pipes
3) camshaft with larger lift/longer duration
4) larger valves in engine head
5) large turbocharger (from backpressure)

All this stuff makes me think that maybe Honda had everything right from stock, to make it best for daily driving???

If anyone can help that would be awesome.
Old 06-26-2008
Diamond Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Envy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of lightEnvy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: low end torque?

Hondas are made to rev.......
why do you think the D17 redlines at 6.8k, the k20a2 at 8k, and the F20C at 9k?
Hondas are not torque monsters

most torque monsters cannot rev
and vice versa

if you want more torque from a honda motor, put in a k24, it has more displacement.
basically as a GENERAL rule (not always true) large displacement engines do not rev but make gobs of torque. Small displacement rev to make power, but fail to make torque. this is because torque is the amount of pressure exerted by a firing piston, and the more cc's the engine/cylinder holds, the more ingredients for controlled expolsion will be in there, creating more force.

so to get more torque
increase displacement
or
increase backpressure via small diameter piping, a good intake, good fuel injection/management, possibly a small turbo that will increase backpressure at lower revs but yet open up for power at high revs.
Old 06-27-2008
Registered!!

I would be so down for a k20 or k24 if only I could have all rubber bushings for motor mounts....those hasport polyuro bushings would transfer too much vibration to the car....hate vibration... unless someone who swapped found a way to make the car run smooth as stock...?

I think i heard a d17 with a t25 turbocharger starts to run boost somewhere around 2500 rpm...which would be good cuz the torque would substantially increase around this range...anyone know if this is tru?
Old 06-27-2008
Registered!!

emjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the roughemjay is a jewel in the rough

yep t25 will give u tons of ur fun low end torque but suffer high end ... if ur gonna go boost with what u descride how u wanna stay under 4 grand .. definately piece together a custom kit t25 ~2000 ull be satisfied and enjoy ur DD cuz u get to go pshhhhhhhh
Old 06-27-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

no replacement for displacement lol
Old 06-27-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Man, this thread is classic. I was laughing even before I opened the thread.

Your best bet is to just come to terms with the fact that your Honda will not make torque. Period. I have a manual, I don't know about you, so just bear with me. Since our cars don't have any power below 2500rpm, why drive in that range? Use a lower gear. Driving down the street at 3500-4000rpm isn't going to hurt the engine, it's a Honda.

Use what you've got.
Old 06-27-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by gearbox
no replacement for displacement lol
never heard that before
Old 06-27-2008
Registered!!

I've been thinking about this a lot...I originally wanted to make a costum t25 turbo kit...but i realized that boost would stress the engine, unless I build the engine with forged internal components and lower the compression ratio

the other option could be to build a d17 with high compression pistons, and bore out the cylinders using sleeves to increase displacement, lightened connecting rods, stock camshaft to keep low end torque, lightened flywheel...but this might not be worth it in terms of the cost...plus I don't think this will increase my torque that much anyways.

I could swap k20, but I want it to ride like stock (like it freakin came out of a honda factory with a k20 in it...sorry i'm picky like that) so I would probably have to buy hasport mounts and have custom rubber bushings made for the mounts, on top of all that, I would probably have to change my suspension to a different setup because of the increased wieght up in the front of the car. I would probably have to account for the increased understeer from the added wieght.

yea yea yea, i know i can buy a different car...but i like to think even our 7th gen civic has potential to be a high performance and comfortable car with the right modifications...
Old 06-27-2008
Official Rattlesnake Hunter

02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of02BLKCIVIC has much to be proud of

lol k
Old 06-27-2008
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

buy a diesel truck. you won't get over 3000 rpm!
Old 06-27-2008
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dswami1
yea yea yea, i know i can buy a different car...but i like to think even our 7th gen civic has potential to be a high performance and comfortable car with the right modifications...
Yea.. and with the cost of alot of money, pain and suffering. Its not that easy. This 7th gen motor is/was a completely redesigned machine when it came out. For the most part. What you said earlier was spot on. The engineers made it to be the best possible 1.7 that they could. They didn't make it to be a high performer, they made it an economical, comfortable, good looking DD.
Old 06-27-2008
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

I ate 6 pounds of cat litter today. I have a lot of lowend torque.

/thread
Old 06-28-2008
Registered!!

+MM+ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dswami1
Geez, with all this talk about swaps and turbos, it sounds as if you have money to burn. I think you hit the nail on the head here. Take that cash you would waste on modifying your Civic and put it towards something more upscale. Something with a larger 4 cylinder or even a 6 and a nicer interior. Maybe an RSX? I have slowly found out the hard way that sinking money into these cars does not pay off.
Old 06-28-2008
Registered!!

the more moving parts in a car, the more the maintanence, the easier things can fail....probably not gonna do turbo

haha i'm probably gonna end up leaving the car stock with an intake....

every route has disadvantages
Old 06-28-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

sounds good. you will save yourself alot of trouble.
Old 06-29-2008
Registered!!

eh oh well...at least i got good milage... actually comes in handy these days
Old 07-02-2008
Registered!!

DefiantOne is an unknown quantity at this point

i got a headache reading this
Old 07-02-2008

Try eating cat litter. If you thought it was hard going down, just wait until it's ready to come out....
Old 07-02-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DefiantOne
i got a headache reading this
?????

This can actually be helpful to people...At least some who doesn't know what they are doing, like I was a couple years go, would know what to expect after spending thousands of dollars on mods, after reading my first post. Those common mods are beneficial only to a certain group of people.
Old 07-14-2008
Registered!!

maverick27 should not be trusted

There is a replacement for displacement. It's called turbos and technology...
Old 07-14-2008
Premium Member

what happens until the turbo spools, nothing? yea. what if he doesnt wanna drive above 4k rpms all the time
Old 07-14-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by maverick27
There is a replacement for displacement. It's called turbos and technology...
To a certain extent. But if you're looking for brute torque and force, compression in a can (turbo) isn't going to do the trick.
Old 07-28-2008
Registered!!

maverick27 should not be trusted

Originally Posted by gearbox
what happens until the turbo spools, nothing? yea. what if he doesnt wanna drive above 4k rpms all the time
Twin turbo?...one spools at 2000rpm and the other at 5000rpm. It can be done ona civic.
Old 07-29-2008

But it shouldn't.
Old 07-30-2008

Good luck fitting two turbos in that engine bay and still keeping it a daily.
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Envy
or
increase backpressure via small diameter piping, a good intake, good fuel injection/management, possibly a small turbo that will increase backpressure at lower revs but yet open up for power at high revs.
how "small" is a small turbo, though? sorry for the newb questions, but what is the smallest one on the market?
Old 07-31-2008

IDK, I've seen little GT15s on Volvos that look like a travel hairdryer, but here.

That was from here:

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/i...t-turbocharger
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

lordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond reputelordhelmet has a reputation beyond repute

^^^ That's awesome. It seems small enough to tuck into the engine compartment somewhere that would never be seen.
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

gelshmoff is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, i woudn't mind one of those...but cost vs. power....meh
Old 07-31-2008
Registered!!

ugabuga is an unknown quantity at this point

supercharge it for low end torque, although I think it already has quite a lot of low end torque ... well my other car has NO torque until the turbo kicks in so may not the best basis for comparison but still ....

Quick Reply: low end torque?