8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Possible front driver shaft or axle seal leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizwazz is an unknown quantity at this point
Possible front driver shaft or axle seal leak

Not sure what this leak is. I was changing my front tires and took notice of this leak. Help
Old 02-14-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,128 Likes on 942 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Possible front driver shaft or axle seal leak

need a new axle shaft, boot is split
Old 02-14-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Boot split open. Replace axle (simplest)

or reboot it---but there are caveats: super messy and time consuming, and if there is internal damage from lack of lube then you rebooted a shot cv joint and wasted time and money
Old 02-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,443 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

axles are cheap enough, i choose to simply replace the entire units
Old 02-14-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

The right side CV axle boot split open and leaked out grease on my '95 EX about four months and to this point no clicking or noticeable issues. I know eventually it will need to be replaced but I'm waiting for it to make a clicking noise before I replace it. Should I replace it sooner?
Old 02-14-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalodong
The right side CV axle boot split open and leaked out grease on my '95 EX about four months and to this point no clicking or noticeable issues. I know eventually it will need to be replaced but I'm waiting for it to make a clicking noise before I replace it. Should I replace it sooner?
That's entirely up to you

Old 02-14-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezone
That's entirely up to you
Is that gerbal eating the leaf a representation of my car's right CV inner axle eating away at the differential gear?

If I misread that and I really can wait to replace it..then, I would like to keep it on to see how far it will go until it starts clicking.
Old 02-14-2018

Naw dude that's a Guinea Pig........Representing yourself in the ongoing experimental testing of the lifespan of an open CV joint (time to explosion, or maybe distance driven until a tow truck is needed)
Old 02-14-2018

Naw dude that's a Guinea Pig........Representing yourself in the ongoing experimental testing of the lifespan of an open CV joint (time to explosion, or maybe distance driven until a tow truck is needed)
Looks like I am not informed about the various ways of axle failure. Can it lock up on me driving in a straight line. Obviously the grease in the joint serves a function... However, I've personally never had one fail other than clicking sound during turns. Now my question is: should I replace it very soon?
Old 02-14-2018

It might start off crackling/popping (ratchet noise) during a tight turn while accelerating.....typical first thing people notice

eventually get bad enough to crackle while turning without accelerating or crackle while driving in a straight line....on some cars

I've also seen joints break, explode several 3/4 inch steel ***** all over the ground, and break the joint or the axle shaft

I've seen open and missing joint boots....yet some of them keep going for a long time like that....and I've slapped fresh grease on open CVs just so it might keep going a little longer
Old 02-14-2018

and I've slapped fresh grease on open CVs just so it might keep going a little longer
I have a used spare axle at home .. just been too lazy to change it out. Thanks for the replies.
Old 02-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

Huh, dong, why are you posting like the OP?

Last edited by sdaidoji; 02-15-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-14-2018

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
Huh, dong, why are you posting like the opportunity?
The Opportunity....is that a rapper?
Old 02-14-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Nah, just asking
Old 02-15-2018

The right side CV axle boot split open
Inboard joint or outboard joint?
Old 02-15-2018

Inboard joint or outboard joint?
outer joint
Old 02-15-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

The Opportunity....is that a rapper?
sorry, autocorrection. Corrected to "OP"