8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

changing trans fluid for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point
changing trans fluid for the first time

Canada, civic 2007 dx 1.8, 4 doors automatic. 200k km, seems still pretty red colour.

So im gonna change the fluid myself and was wondering is there a transmission fluid filter I need to change before doing it?

i called honda and they told me there is no filter to change.

when i drain the transmission fluid with that 3/8 drain bolt under, will it drain the whole thing or just some of the fluid out. do i need to drain the whole thing? and how.

Do i need to change the washer and plug bolt?
Should I add some kind of additive along with the new fluid?
The thing seems to run fine. exept in winter where Maybe i need to let the car idle more upon startup to let the fluid get warmer so it doesnt slow shift in the first 10 mins.

Any help is welcome, I wanna see how much KM i can get this thing to.

thanks.
Old 11-28-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: changing trans fluid for the first time

About 3 Qts for D & F DW1 Honda fluid..... NO additives !

There is a filter on backside of engine. Likely o.k.

Wipe the magnet drain plug... And change washer if you please
Old 11-28-2017
Registered!!

Kristoliquid is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah additives sounds like BS to me, unless its slipping and other **** happening and you wish it gets fixed by magic.

ok. so just drain and refill 3 quarts or whatever that is in canadian mesure lol (quarts dont exist here, ill just convert that into Liters. and dont touch the filter and probably change the 3/8 drain plug + washer thingy.

thanks alot, seems very simple and fun to do. Sometimes the youtube videos are so dramatic and people saying if you do it yourslef the **** is gonna blow up.
Old 11-28-2017

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You can measure how much came out, to determine how much is required to replace.
Old 11-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

I'm not familiar with 8th & 9th gens so, not sure if there is a differential drain bolt as well as a transmission drain bolt. If so, drain both and if not consider a 3x3 ATF drain and fill (Google it). Basically, it's doing a single drain and fill three times in row with driving/gear shifting in between. This method helps remove more of the older ATF.
Old 12-22-2017
Registered!!

Boosted Turtle is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree on the 3x3 ATF drain and fill as I have seen a lot of people do this to their honda/acura but then again I am always skeptical on switching out transmission fluid especially when the car is already running fine and the fluid has never been touched.
Old 12-22-2017

Originally Posted by Boosted Turtle
I agree on the 3x3 ATF drain and fill as I have seen a lot of people do this to their honda/acura but then again I am always skeptical on switching out transmission fluid especially when the car is already running fine and the fluid has never been touched.
It will not last forever.....

The MM will call for every 65k, 30k is preferred.