8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Better fuel Econo on E3 Spark Plugs ...!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Better fuel Econo on E3 Spark Plugs ...!

Just seen an episode of an automotive show called "Motorz"

Aired from right where i Live, being Canada. on changing Spark Plugs

on a Civic the one he's using on the show has the same engine as mine.

he changed out the Spark Plugs using E3 ones.? mileage went from 23-27

THATS PRETTY HUGE..!! On Just changing Out Spark Plugs Alone..!

to E3 ones... thinking of switching over some time this Year

to E3 ones. I Posted Link to Show for all to enjoy...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=luaV6zOYcSs
Old 01-22-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Better fuel Econo on E3 Spark Plugs ...!

An infomercial designed to get the viewer to purchase the product.
It's gimmick marketing, plain and simple. Nothing more.
E3 plugs are a sponsor of the show, that alone calls all claims into question.
Of course the show is going to do all they can to portray them in a good light and help sell the plugs. (slanted, biased)

I am of the opinion that the only way one may gain fuel economy from ONLY replacing spark plugs is if there was a problem with the plugs (misfire) before replacement.

Plugs don't gain you mileage, but they can cost you mileage if they aren't doing their job or you install plugs that don't meet the original design criteria.

E3 plugs look like they shroud the electrode (hidden), shrouded spark isn't good as it results in a quenching effect.
You want the spark out in the great wide open so fuel can get to it.
The dry erase board drawing in the video doesn't portray reality either.

SO I let the video run in the background and I hear.....
5/8" socket (wait, what?), then later he says to use a piece of rubber hose to pull the plug out of its hole.....is his spark plug socket freekin broken? A real plug socket will keep the plug firmly attached so it can be extracted, no rubber hose needed...but he explains just this further along. Why didn't he use the dedicated plug socket?

The NGK plugs (iridium) they show as removed look to be in good shape (IMO).....but he says plugs "really aren't that expensive so you should always replace them" ....??? At over 20 shillings each for the correct NGK plugs (dealer price) that's not exactly sound reasoning. Even at 20 for a set through the aftermarket, that's still a waste if the plugs aren't a problem, and the correct NGK and Denso plugs are rarely ever a problem.

Maybe the E3 plugs are $1 each and need replaced each time you change your underwear?

He did say that the original Iridium plug is not to be gapped, that's correct...but it can be accomplished as long as you don't damage the fine wire center electrode.

The rest of the video probably looks great to the viewers at home.

The spark box, look closely at 10:18...one side has their E3 plug, but the other side holds what appears to be a Bosch Platinum +4 plug, which has a severely shrouded spark by design. Not only is the spark shrouded, the center electrode is recessed which further negates arc reliability.
The difference in brightness of the sparks makes me wonder about the internal resistance differences of each plug shown.

That spark chamber shown in the video can't simulate the dynamic conditions inside a running engine either.

The hand drawn dry erase board thing at 11:05 literally had me laughing hard enough the cat woke up and looked at me funny. "Huge atomic bomb-like explosion" is laughable.... but makes for good TV viewing.

11:35, the plugs and spark already work really close to the speed of light...not sure how E3 plugs can make this any quicker or faster.

And then he mentions SNAKE OIL (attention getter)
....mentions 'major university tests' (but no independent test results to back that up),

Stacy Davids' show is also sponsored by the products they feature heavily on the show. Guess what that means.
Yep. Infomercial.

Michigan Technological University (not knocking the university itself).....but one of their many sponsors is....you guessed it, E3 plugs.

16:44, this graph is not a torque (nor horsepower) curve as implied just a few seconds later, "Now that we've seen what the dyno has to say....".
Here's paper on Mass Fraction Burned Analysis: http://www.ilot.edu.pl/kones/2002/02/str193.pdf

19:10, too much anti-seize used, and got it below the thread line, it can migrate into the electrode area after installation.

19:48, mentions 1/16 of a turn....again, incorrect. That is a value used with tapered seat plugs, not applicable on this engine.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED..... I don't want anyone to think I'm a nay-sayer or skeptic. Please purchase their plugs, throw out your NGK or DENSO plugs that were carefully selected by the engineers who designed your engine, and report back with your substantial fuel economy gains. (Do not read any of the literature included with the plugs that gives you tips on gaining fuel economy by hypermiling, that would skew our test results in favor of the new plugs)

Lastly: If these plugs are so damn good and offer so many benefits, don't you think car manufacturers would be installing them at the factory? Manufacturers are constantly looking for ways to reliably boost performance and economy.

/without morning java
Old 01-22-2017
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Ezone Theres advertising in everything We Buy...

have You ever tried them...?? i know someone that did.. which at

1st.. paid no Attention too... until i found this Video. i have done some

research on them myself and there are people that claim better fuel economy.

mind You i don't believe there Longevity will Last Longer than Japan's Denso"s Plugs.

but hey.. if they Last 30,000km"s they will Pay themselves off from better fuel

economy. in my opinion there worth a shot. don't knock them until You have

tried them.
Old 01-22-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,199 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

be careful, bosch had a 4 pronged one, it did not work in my old VW - it would foul in less than a mile, and the engine would not start again until the gas evaporated.

too many terminals could weaken the spark