8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

New to CVT

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jpownell is an unknown quantity at this point
New to CVT

Hey Everyone, I just leased a 2015 Civic LX back in december. Every vehicle i've ever owned before has either been a regular automatic or a 5 speed so the CVT transmission is new to me. My question is pertaining to when it's cold out. I live in Northeast Ohio and now that winter is in full swing, when i go to start the car up in the mornings, the transmission seems to take a second or two when i shift into Drive or Reverse. It seems like a little bit of delay. When warmed up or above, say 20 degrees, it does not do it anymore. Is this a characteristic of the transmission type?
Thank you all,
Justin
Old 01-26-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: New to CVT

A slight delay may be normal (it was with 5AT regardless of temp when going into D)
Old 01-26-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a characteristic of the transmission type?
Normal, even if the delay is annoying.
I find this can happen after a startup even when the engine is still warm.
(I'm one that slaps the shifter into drive as soon as the engine is running)

If you try to mat the gas pedal before the trans has fully engaged, the computer won't let the engine rev up much either.
Old 01-26-2016
Registered!!

[QUOTE=CraigW;4701647 (it was with 5AT regardless of temp when going into D)[/QUOTE]

What do you mean with the 5AT? Im noticing this mostly when it is really cold out. When it's warmer or the car is already slightly warmed up, the delay is minimal. I'm not really too worried or bothered by it, I just wanted to make sure it's not out of the ordinary. I guess it's good that the computer electronically controls it so that it saves the transmissions life a little bit.
Jusitn
Old 01-27-2016

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

5 (speed) AT (automatic transmission)

I asked about the delay a while back, and was told the conventional AT system selects 2nd, and then 1st when first shifted into D each time. So....just got into habit that after placed in D to wait 1-2 seconds before accelerating.

Your system may have similarities & ezone drives all different models/configurations often and has seen the same thing.
Old 01-28-2016
Registered!!

Ahhh i didn't put the two together with 5AT! This makes sense with the way that CVT systems work. Starting off in 2nd gear in a manual transmission is usually never a big deal (unless on a hill) so I could see how the process would be the same.
Old 01-29-2016

It goes to first & is in first, but is in second initially, then to first.

That's why I delay acceleration briefly right after entering D.
Old 01-30-2016
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jpownell
Hey Everyone, I just leased a 2015 Civic LX back in december. Every vehicle i've ever owned before has either been a regular automatic or a 5 speed so the CVT transmission is new to me. My question is pertaining to when it's cold out. I live in Northeast Ohio and now that winter is in full swing, when i go to start the car up in the mornings, the transmission seems to take a second or two when i shift into Drive or Reverse. It seems like a little bit of delay. When warmed up or above, say 20 degrees, it does not do it anymore. Is this a characteristic of the transmission type?
Thank you all,
Justin
CVT ..
After the lease let it go. I have a 2004 with a CVT. ..after 150k, trans went out. All the fuel savings that the CVT is supposed to save me, just went out the door. A rebuilt CVT trans cost me $2600.
No more CVT for me.
Old 01-31-2016
Registered!!

Well I was always skeptical about the CVT but on most cars anymore, it's either CVT for the AT or manual and my fiance cant drive manual so we can see where this is going... I had an 06 Mazda 3 MT before the civic but I was buried in negative equity and couldnt afford the vehicle I really wanted ('16 Silverado 4x4) so I decided to play it smart and trade in and lease the civic for a few years then I'll be more financially in place to buy the truck. So far after about 2k miles, I'm really enjoying the civic so far and besides being pretty slow, it's a great car to have. But I doubt I go with another CVT after this, no matter what I buy.
Old 01-31-2016

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and my fiance cant drive manual so we can see where this is going
Teach her how.
Old 02-01-2016

Originally Posted by 0396
CVT ..
After the lease let it go. I have a 2004 with a CVT. ..after 150k, trans went out. All the fuel savings that the CVT is supposed to save me, just went out the door. A rebuilt CVT trans cost me $2600.
No more CVT for me.
Was the CVT properly maintained ??
Old 02-01-2016

Originally Posted by CraigW
JizzyLube does all my maintenance!
Old 02-11-2016
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CraigW
Maintained, oh yes as I change the CVT trans with the spec Honda fluid every 25 k.
After 70kthe trans will have a delay in responding as the chains that make up the trans gets stretch by then. I compare it to a bicycle chain.
As I mentioned, it sounds good but my experience is that it will not last. ..when the CVT first came out, one of my friends Civic CVT only lasted 48k..
Now show me a regular trans that will fail that soon. Oh, my friends Civic, Honda paid for the trans and he paid for labor.
Old 02-11-2016

^^^ You certainly went above and beyond then. Good info!!

Every time after seeing the theory on CVT, I can only shake my head.

Part of the reason for grabbing a 2013 5AT recently.
Old 02-11-2016

Originally Posted by 0396
Maintained, oh yes as I change the CVT trans with the spec Honda fluid every 25 k.
After 70kthe trans will have a delay in responding as the chains that make up the trans gets stretch by then. I compare it to a bicycle chain.
As I mentioned, it sounds good but my experience is that it will not last.
The new CVT is a little different from the old. Still has similarities to the old but really IMO it's still too soon to tell how reliable new style will be. I know at our shop we have a few of the Accords with over 100k, no issues. Time will tell......

..when the CVT first came out, one of my friends Civic CVT only lasted 48k..
Now show me a regular trans that will fail that soon.
Let's walk over to the Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Heep dealer and take a look around...
Old 02-12-2016

It's a Heep thing..... you wouldn't understand.

Correct, never understood why anyone would own one of those barbaric piles of $hit.
Old 02-27-2016
Registered!!

rponfick is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2014 Civic and just noticed in the owners manual to have the cvt fluid checked monthly by the dealer. This has to be a mistake. I looked for a dipstick on the tranny and found the rubber plug. There is no rod into the reservoir to check anything.

Is this some type of ripoff, or what don't I understand.

Ralph
Old 02-27-2016

Originally Posted by rponfick
I have a 2014 Civic and just noticed in the owners manual to have the cvt fluid checked monthly by the dealer. This has to be a mistake. I looked for a dipstick on the tranny and found the rubber plug. There is no rod into the reservoir to check anything.

Is this some type of ripoff, or what don't I understand.

Ralph
At least you looked in the owners manual. Good job!

It is no mistake, but once a month is probably overkill IMO unless you are having issues....

Any shop should charge fees for their time spent checking it....and unless you are at a dealership there's little chance of anyone having the correct fluid on hand if it happens to be needed.

The reasons for a dealer checking it are several....

the fluid level is checked using a plug on the side of the transmission, and is not intended to be checked by the user/owner.

Correct fluid level is critical for proper operation and long life. Fluid level changes with temperature, so the fluid should be checked at the temperature specified in the service manual. If you check it at a wrong temp, the fluid level could easily be incorrect.
There is also a shift sequence specified before checking fluid level.

It takes a specialized fluid (HCF-2), you can cause serious problems if you try to add the previous Honda CVT fluid (still in use on some other models) or anything from your garage or parts store. The HCF-2 fluid has only been in use since the 2013 Accord new CVT introduction.
(I've not seen any claimed compatible fluid in my local parts store the last time I was in there browsing, and so-called "universal" fluid is anything but.)

Even though your manual says to use a dealership, beware there are probably many people in any given dealer shop that don't know really how to check it correctly (usually the low paid oil changers and beginners)....because it is not stupid simple.
Most just run with the assumption that if there is no fluid leakage then the fluid is probably still full....which is usually a pretty realistic assumption IMO

At our shop we still suggest trans and CVT fluid service every 30,000 miles.

HTH
Old 02-28-2016
Registered!!

Phillip123 is an unknown quantity at this point

It's totally normal Doesn't sound like it of course