8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Malfunctioning Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice
Malfunctioning Wiper Blades

2006 Honda Civic LX Sedan.

My windshield wipers are not operating properly, no safety issues at all, they WORK, but they are acting very oddly...

When i set them on the slowest speed they sometime wipe 2-3 times in rapid succession, instead of once every few seconds.

Even more weird is when i push the lever up to wipe once. Sometimes it wipes once, other times it does it 2-3 times, and still other times they keep going up to a dozen wipes.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Very obnoxious when i want to wipe once and find out my windshield is frozen, then have to sit there listening to my wipers scraping across the ice for who-knows how long.

They also sometimes stop before going all the way down.
Old 01-29-2014
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Malfunctioning Wiper Blades

Needs the park switch, which is attached to the wiper motor gearbox.

The switch plate is available by itself for the 4 door car.

About $17 retail

Bulletin Linkypoo: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/hy...ot_parking.pdf

Majestic Linkypoo: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/srchrslts.jsp?search=sku&catcgry1=&inputstate=&src hwords=76505-SNA-305&vinnosrch=Enter+VIN+Number+---

Now you have to get the wiper motor out of the cowl area to change the part. It is a piece of work.
Plan on an hour, minimum. More if you are an amateur.
Get a book if the bulletin instructions aren't enough.

Don't break the windshield!!!!
Old 01-30-2014
Registered!!

jordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nicejordan1794 is just really nice

I've got one of those books that has instructions for practically anything, hopefully that will be able to guide me through it.
I think, so long as they keep working ENOUGH I'll just wait until it gets warmer to fix it.
Old 01-30-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/attac...-dont-park.pdf
Old 01-30-2014

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Craig, the bulletin in your link is outdated. My link above has the updated version of the bulletin.
Old 01-30-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^^ Looks like I need to read more, and post less.

This was a pretty common issue with 8th gens.
Old 02-05-2014
Registered!!

So after a week or so of checking in this, it appears it is directly related to it being cold. The last few days have been much warmer (we got rain instead of snow yesterday) and during the warmer temperatures I could not get the blades to malfunction, whereas during the snow it happened nearly 50% of the time.
Old 02-05-2014

Originally Posted by jordan1794
So after a week or so of checking in this, it appears it is directly related to it being cold. The last few days have been much warmer (we got rain instead of snow yesterday) and during the warmer temperatures I could not get the blades to malfunction, whereas during the snow it happened nearly 50% of the time.
It's still broken.
Old 02-05-2014
Registered!!

While this is true, 9 month of the year it doesn't get cold enough to make it act up, therefore I will probably wait until the end of summer to get it fixed...money and time and very tight for me right now.
Specifically time.
Old 05-16-2014
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Megacam is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue with my '07 Civic LX. I know this is a common problem.

Just wondering if anyone has had success getting the dealer to fix this if the car is out of warranty?

Also, is there a DIY thread anywhere to replace the wiper motor cover plate?
Old 05-16-2014

Originally Posted by Megacam

Just wondering if anyone has had success getting the dealer to fix this if the car is out of warranty?
Certainly! Bring cash, check or credit card. Most of us don't work for free.

Also, is there a DIY thread anywhere to replace the wiper motor cover plate?
I haven't seen one on this forum yet.

Click the link in the earlier posts for the bulletin, there are some instructions in there.

HTH