8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

2006 Civic Coupe EX + 17 inch wheels (advice needed)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monty is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Civic Coupe EX + 17 inch wheels (advice needed)

Hello all. Long time listener, first time caller on the forum and a new owner of a brand new galaxy gray 2006 Civic EX Coupe (non SI).

I need some advice. I’m considering getting 17 inch rims (from the dealer) along with some Goodyear triple-treads for this car so what can I expect?

Smoother / Rougher ride.
Better / Worse gas mileage.
More / Less road noise.

Is doing this even adviseable?

Thanks much,

Monty
Old 09-04-2006
Registered!!

imported_CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
I had 17's on an Integra. The ride is about the same...ofcourse potholes need to be avoided because you have less rubber. Low profile doesn't make it louder, the compund of the rubber and the design of the tread do that. Michilan Hydroedge tires are loud on an Accord I have. I had coninental contoextreme contacts on my 17's and they were GREAT. in summer and especially in snow, not loud AT ALL. Gas milage didn't change much that I noticed, if at all.
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
i recomend gettting LIGHTER rims.. they will help your gas mileage a little.. especially around the city... if propperly set up, the ride will be a little rougher over bumps, but not bad enough to discourage most ppl.. and as far as road noise, i agree, it's the tires.. and the tires will be more expensive.. but i suggest doing it.. i got 17" prodrives for my impreza and i lvoe them..
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

imported_CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point
Contrare (sp) My tires were 94 bucks a piece Continental Conti Extreme COntact for 205/40/17. I've seen other "standard" 15" and 16" tires for over 100 bucks with a poorer rating. The only thing is. When you go large on the wheel and small on the tire. The car will looked jacked up. It gets costly to lower it, because you have to get lowering srpings to bring the car back down 1.5 - 2 inhes (which is fine you won't look like a low rider, you'll look more like the setup of a BMW M3. A front camber kit is usually required to change the camber of the tire so it resets even on the road like this ---> ( I_I ) and not like this ( \_\ ) the front wheels will bow slightly if your camber is off allowing the inside of the tires to wear and go bald and if it's not noticed, you'll go right into the belt and begin to shread it. JEEEES. I hope Im not scaring you with this. It's sounds like alot of stuff but it isn't. The only other thing you'd need to change with a lowered set up are the struts because the stock struts are not designed to hold that constant exsesive compression. check out tirerack.com for these things. Eibach springs are popular and bilstein shocks I think are rated well too. hope this is of some help.
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

phantom-civic is an unknown quantity at this point
here's an idea...check out the HFP 17's, they're a seven spoke design thats in a darker gun metal type of color. That way the dealer is responsible for everything so if anything happens to your car with the tires or rims its his fault and he has to fix it (unless you drove into a foot deep pot hole at 70mph) If you're not into the HFP rims just go to a proper shop and they'll set everything up for you balancing, offsets, making sure everything is gonna wear properly, and if it doesn't then guess what?!?! it's their fault!! a good shop should always stand by its parts and installation, and on something like rims and tires you should NEVER go cheap, this stuff literally can keep you safe or dead.
Personally i'm running 17 Motegi MR7's that are almost identical to the HFP, but lighter and the new Falken fk452's. I love the rims and the tires handel amazing, there is absolutley NO noise from these things. I have yet to try them in the lite snow i drive in (i'll prob just take my truck then, but there's something sexy about nice cars in the rain and snow), but i kept my factory 16 alloys w/M&S bridgestones just in case. I suggest the same unless u need the resale money or lack the storage space. Gas mileage wise, i went from getting 33mpg to 40mpg.....but i think that has more to do with my breaking in the car than the rims (as long as i get what honda says i should get for highway driving i'm cool). I really don't think changing the rims matter that much, especially if you have the ex which should already have the alloys.
Old 09-05-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
if you're getting the advertised gas mileage, then you have done things to help gas mileage... 'cause most cars can not get the advertised gas mileage because of things that arent' factored in when the epa does its measurements like wind, and stuff like that.. but if you get the propper tire size, you dont have to lower your car unless you want to because the wheel gap wont change at all.. i went from 205/55r16 to 215/45zr17... and i paid 81 bucks for them but i could have tgotten the 16's for like 75... so they are more expensive...