8th & 9th Generation Civic 2006 - 2015 9th Gen 2012 - 2015.
8th Gen 2006 - 2011.
9th Gen Chassis Codes: FB2, FB4, FB6, FG 3, FG4.
8th Gen Chassis Codes: FG1, FG2, FA1, FA3, FA5.

Maintenance Minder

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigman32hockey is an unknown quantity at this point
Maintenance Minder

I have about 2,700 miles on my 2006 Civic EX sedan. Currently, my Oil Life indicator reads 70%. I called the dealer today and asked whether I should have an oil change done at 3,000 miles or wait for the Oil Life indicator to read 15% or lower. He said I should wait for the Oil Life indicator because it was much better at showing oil quality in the engine than going strictly by miles. Are others out there following this advice, or are people brining their cars in for oil changes every 3,000 miles, regardless of the Oil Life indicator? Thanks!
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

DeeAliganga is an unknown quantity at this point
hmm wow , i'm at 2133 miles with 70 percent ....
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

The service guy said the oil life depends on many different factors (i.e. driver style, climate, oil used, etc.), so I guess it could make sense that we have different mileage, even though the Oil Life indicator reads the same percentage.
Old 07-25-2006
Registered!!

kero is an unknown quantity at this point
I just did my first oil change at 2700 miles, changed it with penzoil 5w-20 and normal frame filter.

After this, I use synthetic blend oil with a high quality pure-one filter and change every 5000 miles from there on.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

ndoelling is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to have my first oil change this week, ~5K miles on car and oil life is only down to 40%. Even though it is only this low, 5K miles is plenty I think to have broken in. Anyone else smelled the oil in the car when you bought it? Mine smelled like gasoline; dealer said it was a high detergent oil. thoughts? I think it might have been to better carry away particles generated during break-in, thinner oil.
Old 07-26-2006
Registered!!

MordeKyle is an unknown quantity at this point
my dealer told me to wait until the indicator came on, i got my oil changed around 6500 miles.
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

I read somewhere (possibly the manual itself) that the oil they ship the car with is different than regular oil. They said it is supposed to help the engine during the initial break-in period. Not 100% sure that's correct.
Old 07-27-2006
Registered!!

Terry Wright is an unknown quantity at this point
mass spec on the cheap

Originally Posted by bigman32hockey
The service guy said the oil life depends on many different factors (i.e. driver style, climate, oil used, etc.), so I guess it could make sense that we have different mileage, even though the Oil Life indicator reads the same percentage.
Just to mention, Honda uses a mass spectrometer set of LEDs. It's mass spec on the cheap to read the oil. Follow the minder and set older paradigms aside - this is a a redesigned Civic. Even the technicians are working to adjust their procedures.

from my corner,

Terry
Old 08-01-2006
Registered!!

Shishpanik is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by bigman32hockey
I read somewhere (possibly the manual itself) that the oil they ship the car with is different than regular oil. They said it is supposed to help the engine during the initial break-in period. Not 100% sure that's correct.

That probably is correct because ive heard that that oil is scheduled to last approx 5k miles while you should change your oil every 3 k miles after that.
Old 08-05-2006
Registered!!

koreth is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to always change my oil every 3k miles, no question asked... From what i've read most Honda people are recommending following the minder... Here's my question though... If it detects oil life and how good it is and when you should change it... When you DO change it, WHY doesnt it recognize that its new oil and reset itself? You have to manually reset the minder to 100% correct? I still have a couple thousand miles to decide which advice i want to follow but just thought i would bring that up and see what you all think...
Old 09-23-2006
Registered!!

d3crypt is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by koreth
I used to always change my oil every 3k miles, no question asked... From what i've read most Honda people are recommending following the minder... Here's my question though... If it detects oil life and how good it is and when you should change it... When you DO change it, WHY doesnt it recognize that its new oil and reset itself? You have to manually reset the minder to 100% correct? I still have a couple thousand miles to decide which advice i want to follow but just thought i would bring that up and see what you all think...
Apparently none of you guys have read your manual!! The oil life is figured by counting the total revolutions of the motor, temperature, driving conditions, and etc. It doesn't actually TEST the oil itself. I'd think it'd be a good idea to change the oil around 10-25% but thats just me. Oil companies, for years, have told us that we should change our oil every 3000 miles but with new technology in refinment and engines... most new car's owner manuals tell you every 5000-6000 miles now. READ THE FRIGGIN MANUAL. That is all.
Old 07-09-2007
Registered!!

plastics is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Maintenance Minder-how to reset?

Would anyone be able to tell me how to reset the maintanence minder on the dash

Plastics
07 Civic EX Sedan black
Old 07-10-2007
Registered!!

BTRobertson is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Maintenance Minder

I did my first oil change at 500 miles with regular oil (to let the engine properly wear in with normal oil), then I change it every 3,000 with 5w-30 full synthetic Mobile One or Castrol Syntec. With the driving conditions in Pittsburgh (i.e. stop-and-go quite a bit during the summer construction months), it's much better that I change it more frequently with higher quality oil. It also depends on how you drive the car. I've read that the Maintenance Minder will actually adjust its schedule to fit the way you're driving the car. So if you're more aggressive, chances are your maintenance routine will come up quicker than someone who drives more conservative.

I spent the other evening reading the entire manual, which I've never done for any car I've ever owned. It's pretty enlightening and I would recommend everyone read it. For example, in the Si model, they don't recommend putting any oil additives into the oil because it could damage the engine. ??? I've been putting oil additives in every car I've owned and none of them have ever damaged the engine. Can anyone shed some light on that?

Last edited by BTRobertson; 07-10-2007 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Needed to add email notification
Old 04-14-2008
Registered!!

dcubed121 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Maintenance Minder-how to reset?

Originally Posted by plastics
Would anyone be able to tell me how to reset the maintanence minder on the dash

Plastics
07 Civic EX Sedan black
Read the manual and if you refuse to read the whole thing then at least read the maintinence portion. it will answer your question.(and a whole lot more interesting stuff.) plus i really just don't want to go get mine out of the car to tell you.
Old 04-22-2008
Registered!!

jatniel is an unknown quantity at this point

Honda Maintenance Manual does not recommend use synthetic oil.
Old 04-30-2008
Registered!!

rayzke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jatniel
Honda Maintenance Manual does not recommend use synthetic oil.
I wonder why?
Old 05-01-2008
Registered!!

rocksinger is an unknown quantity at this point

RE: Honda manual, there is a PDF version of the manual if you sign up your car at Honda's web sit. I downloaded it and often go to it for 411

I own a 2008 Black 4 door EXL with NAV with almost 10 g's on it and have made friends with the service adviser at my local Honda dealer by giving him gifts from Honda Japan from one of my many visits there and he said to wait 5 g's before changing the oil and NOT to use Synthetic oil.... he was trained by Honda
Old 05-03-2008
Registered!!

vaff is an unknown quantity at this point

I emailed the service guys about this issue, and they said that the Civics are sold with semi-synthetic 5W-20; to NOT use straight synthetic oil, and to follow the maintenance minder.

For me, it's as much a trust issue as anything else; to overcome the habits I've had to change the oil every 5k and rely on a computer rather than an odometer to make that decision.
Old 05-12-2008
Registered!!

07exNavi is an unknown quantity at this point

I am going to change my oil around every three thousand miles, regaurdless of how good the oil is it is better to have cleaner oil in the motor.