General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

cleaning out fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003
Turbo Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
Angry cleaning out fuel tank?

Iv'e noticed that over the past few months Iv'e lost a lot of performance, and throtle response.
And the other day my car started leaning out for no reason. This convinced me that I had to have a fuel delivery problem.

I removed the fuel line from the fuel rail and blew 20 psi of copressed air into it to try and clean the fuel filter out. After a short test drive I noticed a big difference in power and throtle response. So I know that the fuel filter needs to be replaced.

Here's the problem. There is still going to be debris in the tank after I replace the filter. How do I get that stuff out? Should I just empty the tank through the access port under the rear seats and wipe the tank out w/ a rag? or should I just drop the whole tank out of the car and flush it out?
Old 05-08-2003
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey, where exactly is our fuel filter? And how much does a replacement cost?

If that filter eventually needs to be replaced on our cars, I wonder why our manuals never make any mention of it? Even all those "shortened" servicing schedules handed out by the dealers don't have the fuel filter mentioned. WTF?

As for cleaning out your tank, I think that's overkill. Replacing the filter should be good enough.
Old 05-08-2003
Turbo Member

RiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enoughRiceBuRNeR will become famous soon enough
the filter is inside the fuel tank , and cost $25. So Id rather do the job right the first time instead of having to replace an expensive filter again.