General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

New Idea for Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
New Idea for Kit Install

Well I have been trying to think up a good way to adhere my sideskirts to my car. I have the xenon sides and I've used 3M double sided tape but with the crappy weather we've had lately, the tape doesn't hold. Not to mention that with my car being lowered, I can't fit a jack under it for oil changes or any other tuning that requires lifting the car.

WIth that in mind I decided to try something that I thought would work better. For people who've used the 3M tape, you probably know that you have to put the tape on the skirt then stick it to the body in the right place and you'd better get it right the first time or you'll most likely have to start over. Then you have to press it on and hold it until you think it is going to stick. And eventually (at least for me) the skirt ends up falling anyways.

So I thought about using some hook and loop tape (heavy duty velcro.) Doing this I can put one side on the skirt and allow it to bond and put the other side on the car, vice versa. Once they've dried I can simply put the skirt on, pop in a few screws and not have to worry about it. From now on when I need to lift the car or take the skirts off for any reason, I can remove it without having to clean old dirty tape off and starting from scratch.

I am in the process of doing this right now. I've pulled the skirts off, cleaned and laid the tape on them to dry. I'll lay tape on the body tomorrow when it's warmer so that the tape dries better (plus I'll be able to see what I'm doing.) I'll post back when it's all done and see how sturdy it holds up, which I think it'll do quite nicely. Feedback welcomed.
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

ROKSOLID is an unknown quantity at this point
You're suppose to use the heavy duty weather resistant double sided tape. Just go to like home depot or some s**t. Your idea sounds pretty good.
You should have two people watch and check if your aligned while you and another put the skirt on so it could be more exact.
Or without any tape on the skirt, have 2 people place the skirt on and have them line it up and hold it in place. Now outline the top of the skirt with something washable on your car while the 2 people are holding it still. Now with the line there you can put the skirt on with percision.
Well those are my thoughts...
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

03_silver_ex is an unknown quantity at this point
Great idea Andy
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

Diemos is an unknown quantity at this point
Andy, how can I do my tail lights like yours?!
Old 03-13-2003
em2

sspem2 has a spectacular aura aboutsspem2 has a spectacular aura about
he has a DIY on here somewhere.[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
never thought about the velcro. My ww sides don't fall off with 3m double sided tape...

Good idea
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

andyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond reputeandyman97 has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah, I'm doing it so that I can remove the skirts. I don't want tape that can't be reused, that's the whole idea of doing it this way.
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

[hr]Originally posted by: Diemos
Andy, how can I do my tail lights like yours?![hr]
Using this.
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

[hr]Originally posted by: ak
never thought about the velcro. My ww sides don't fall off with 3m double sided tape...

Good idea [hr]
Yeah cuz you live in warm sunny cali, you luckily don't have to deal with snow and cold [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2003
Premium Member

Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a great idea andyman. I'm thinking of getting sideskirts at some point and this would be so handy since I live in MA.

-Kre
Old 03-13-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Hmm... That might be a good idea. 3M double sided sticky tape and a little rubber seal along the edges to keep out water and little screws underneath should do the job as well though. I'll be cutting out a little hole for the stock support points (if that's going to be a problem). It's something to think about though.
Old 03-13-2003
Registered!!

CivicRacer5 is an unknown quantity at this point
My Xenon side skirts came with 3M double sided tape and brackets to hold them on!!
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

Well this worked out alot better than I thought it would. It holds alot better than 3M double sided tape does and it's adjustable plus you can remove them if need be. Woohoo, I'm glad I thought to do this. Grey, I would definitely consider this if I were you bro, especially living in a cold climate.
Old 03-13-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all

WOuldn't this just make it easier for a body kit to be stolen? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] LOL......just pull it off and take off. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2003
Turbo Guru

[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
WOuldn't this just make it easier for a body kit to be stolen? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] LOL......just pull it off and take off. [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
No easier than pulling it off with 3M tape, same deal, just pull it off and take off with it. I still have it mounted with screws and I'm only doing it for the side skirts but the hook loop tape is about as hard to separate as the double sided tape is with the exception that it can be reused [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] hence the whole point of doing it this way.