General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Could an Oil Cooler make much difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Could an Oil Cooler make much difference?

Obviously cooler oil means cooler engine.... Which theoretically leads to more power. But how much of a difference would you think it really makes? The K20A2 has a coolant to oil exchanger, but I'm thinking more along the lines of an air to oil exchanger that mounts in the front bumper (basically an oil intercooler). I know one guy on here has one, but never heard much in the way of results. A decent set up can be done for about 200 bucks, but I just would like to know if it would make any difference at all in engine longevity or an increase in power.
This is what basically goes on....
Oil comes out of the engine through a remote filter adapter kit which moves the filter to someplace more convient, and also switches the filter from the tiny stock one to a GM V8 filter, then out through a 190 Degree thermostat which helps to get the oil up to operating temp. Once that happens, the thermostat opens and the oil begins passing through the cooler grid and back into the oil pan. I've seen drops of 50 degrees or more in some cases, but I don't know what a typical temp. drop is.
So you get more oil and cooler oil, plus it sounds like a fun DIY install. But would it work well enough to justify it?
Old 02-26-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mohawkboom is an unknown quantity at this point
it doesn't really increase power. All it does is keep the oil at operating emperature and prevent it from getting hot and thinning out or breaking down during high rev, or high load driving. like hauling a trailer... it's not really a beneficial mod..it's a preventative mod [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2003
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
don't forget about a high volume oil pump to compensate for moving the oil around alot more than stock.
Old 02-26-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil coolers and automatic tranny coolers are very benificial if you drive your car hard and in high temps or even tow heavy loads. Like mohawkboom said , there is no Horse Power increase.

If you live in a Cold Northern climate a oil cooler could do more harm than good because it will take a longer time for your engine oil to get up to operating tempuratures, which could cause problems.

I live in Florida and the summers are hell on engines and trannies, when I owned 4 Ford Cargo Vans for my business, the 3 Vans that had tranny coolers on them got a lot longer life out of the tranny then the one without.

Just remember that cooler is not always better; a warm to hot running engine isn't bad, as long as the temp is controlled and within operating specs.
Old 02-26-2003
Jon
Registered!!

Jon is an unknown quantity at this point
it generally will make your engine last longer and it would be forever in between oil changes.

no real hp gains tho, and just for reference greddy makes an oil cooler kit, not sure if it was just for b-series or specifically for the B18C5, but that shizzit was around $500
Old 02-26-2003
M1kEzPr1NcEzZ

In my opinion oil coolers arent needed for cars like ours, well not civics i mean in general most oil cooler upgrades consist of forced induction turbo or supercharger and maybe well prob most likely nitrous, unless your civic is built and running really hard and rich buring gas and oil dont worry to much about that...like most people have said it wont really do much....

Old 02-26-2003
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point

not bad for free stuff ......

it's not for engine oil cooler, but ofr Trans oil cooler
Old 02-27-2003
Premium Member

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
wheres my free stuff?
Old 02-27-2003
Registered!!

raced is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: YS

it's not for engine oil cooler, but ofr Trans oil cooler[hr]
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that cooler is doing almost zero to cool your tranny fluid.
You have to get it into the airstream or force air though it via ducts/ fans to actually see a benefit.

Is there an opening in the front valance or some ducting in front of it that is blocked from view?
If not, I'd say re-position it so it is in the airstream or run some ducting to it.
Old 02-27-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: raced
[hr]Originally posted by: YS

it's not for engine oil cooler, but ofr Trans oil cooler[hr]
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that cooler is doing almost zero to cool your tranny fluid.
You have to get it into the airstream or force air though it via ducts/ fans to actually see a benefit.

Is there an opening in the front valance or some ducting in front of it that is blocked from view?
If not, I'd say re-position it so it is in the airstream or run some ducting to it.[hr]
I thought the same thing, but if you look at the bottom you can see light coming though, and from where I see it positioned it looks like he would get plenty of air flow through it. Its right next to the bottom bumper opening, right next to where the fog lights go.

Old 02-27-2003
Registered!!

chefjnr is an unknown quantity at this point
most cheap oil coolers come with rubber lines- DO NOT USE THEM- spend the money on ss lines, I learned the hard way when the rubber ones that came with my b&M cooler blew!!!
Old 03-03-2003
Registered!!

raced is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE]Quote
[hr]Originally posted by: solar
[hr][i]I thought the same thing, but if you look at the bottom you can see light coming though, and from where I see it positioned it looks like he would get plenty of air flow through it. Its right next to the bottom bumper opening, right next to where the fog lights go.[hr]
Check the photo again...That's not light coming through the cooler, it's a reflection of the flash off the radiator's tube. Also, if you check the photos of his ride, the lower driving lamps are in place and there doesn't appear to be an opening in that area for cooling.
Anyway, my point is not to make an argument but to offer advice to 'YS' on actually making use of that cooler. It seems like he went to the trouble of installing it...too bad it's not doing much to cool his tranny. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]

ps; anyone know why my messages keep coming through in italics? When I type it, it looks like normal text....
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]