General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Exhaust Size If Turbo'd Up To 8psi

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JohnyBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Exhaust Size If Turboup to 8psi

Would 2.25" catback system be okay? Or would it be too restrictive?

Stock WRX's only use 2.25" -- I think 2.25" would be okay with only 8psi.

What do you think?

--J.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

bobbyd is an unknown quantity at this point
I think that would be fine but not just a cat back. Make sure that your pipe is 2.5 from the Turbo all the way back.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

JohnyBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, I'd have a 2.5" downpipe and flexpipe going to a high-flow cat, but then from the cat-back, my exhaust is only 2.25".

I don't want to upgrade to 2.5" exhaust since I just acquired the 2.25" recently.

I noticed that RiceBurnrEX (who is running 197whp @ 8psi) kept his 2.25" system -- hopefully it's not restrictive at 8psi.

RiceBurnrEX? Do I need to upgrade?

--J.
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

Mokushi is an unknown quantity at this point
Must be a WuTang reunion up in this thread... [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-29-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: JohnyBlaze

What do you think?

--J.[hr]
WRX's are restricted as hell... there's like 3 catalytic converters clogging the exhaust up. But taking 2 of them off adds like 50 HP.
I keep seeing the GTi guys going to 2.5 or 3" turbo backs, but they're usually running much more boost. If you have a 2.5" downpipe... you should probably run a 2.5" from the cat-back.... shrinking the pipe will add restriction. Restriction is a good thing for N/A engines, but once you turbocharge it... it's your enemy.
Old 01-29-2003
I Am Legend

CGodwin3103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Where did you find a turbo for our car?

Thx,
CG
Old 01-29-2003
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
this thread reiks of n00bs
Old 01-29-2003
I Am Legend

I found a custom made one for 7k, but I was trying to find out if there was a little cheaper one, 7k isn’t like 3 or 4 months pay. Where did you find out about that particular turbo, and yes this is the first time being on 2k1, I got pulled over by another 2k today askin bout my kit and he told me about a 2k1 meeting a few Saturdays ago, and about this site, so hear I am…
Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

4bangin is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Boilermaker1
[hr]Originally posted by: JohnyBlaze

What do you think?

--J.[hr]
WRX's are restricted as hell... there's like 3 catalytic converters clogging the exhaust up. But taking 2 of them off adds like 50 HP.
I keep seeing the GTi guys going to 2.5 or 3" turbo backs, but they're usually running much more boost. If you have a 2.5" downpipe... you should probably run a 2.5" from the cat-back.... shrinking the pipe will add restriction. Restriction is a good thing for N/A engines, but once you turbocharge it... it's your enemy.[hr]
ya, most vw owners use a 3" exhaust piping. i would do no less than 2.5, too restrictive.

Old 01-29-2003
Registered!!

RedDragon333 will become famous soon enough
[hr]Originally posted by: CGodwin3103
I found a custom made one for 7k, but I was trying to find out if there was a little cheaper one, 7k isn’t like 3 or 4 months pay. Where did you find out about that particular turbo, and yes this is the first time being on 2k1, I got pulled over by another 2k today askin bout my kit and he told me about a 2k1 meeting a few Saturdays ago, and about this site, so hear I am…[hr]
Welcome to the site, where in Houston are you located? And what meet are you refering too?
Old 01-29-2003
I Am Legend

Thanks Red, I live in the west side at I-10/Dairy Ashford. Guy named Carl said that there was a meeting of 2k1’s 2 Saturdays before this week. I thought about goin to the next one, and was gonna check for dates. I actually would like to attend a meet, and I always love to imbibe a little information hear and there.
Old 01-29-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
After reading Corky Bell's book "Maximum Boost" there is one rather important thing to consider. I quote...
[hr]The tubes for the hot gas on the exhaust side should therefore be larger than the tubes for the cooler intake side.[hr]
Since we have a 2.25" throttle body we should have something larger for the exhaust pipes. A 2.5" exhaust would be allright. From this chart in that book it looks like a 2.5" exhaust is optimal for up to 500bhp. That might be overkill if you never plan to make that much power. A 2.25" exhaust is capable of flowing up to 300bhp optimally. This contradicts the quote, so I don't quite understand the chart in this book. Anyway, he also says that you can choose a pipe size about 10% larger than the turbine outlet diameter. Hope this helps...