General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Black Box?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
Black Box?

I heard every car has a "black box" like airplanes do. Though i never really seen one. where is this?
Old 01-12-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
I think that there actually are 2 black boxes on airplanes

But anyways..........this is what is recorded in the black box or Event Data Recorder (EDR)

* Vehicle speed (five seconds before impact)
* Engine speed (five seconds before impact)
* Brake status (five seconds before impact)
* Throttle position (five seconds before impact)
* State of driver's seat belt switch (On/Off)
* Passenger's airbag (On/Off)
* IR Warning Lamp status (On/Off)
* Time from vehicle impact to airbag deployment
* Ignition cycle count at event time
* Ignition cycle count at investigation
* Maximum velocity for near-deployment event
* Velocity vs. time for frontal airbag deployment event
* Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum velocity
* Time between near-deploy and deploy event (if within five seconds)

Using this data, insurance agents and police officers can reconstruct the events leading up to a crash.

I know that GM cars have this device. But i'm not sure about our cars.

Old 01-12-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
The new M3's have it. I know this because BMW can void the warranty if you have the SMG set to the the fastest shift setting all the time... It beats the **** out of the tranny and despite the fact of them installing this setting you aren't really supposed to use it. It can also track top speeds and RPMS. As well as some other things that they can use to prove you were on a track and void your warranty. I don't get this... its basically a street legal race car, but you can't race it. So dumb
Old 01-12-2003
Registered!!

Logan is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Boilermaker1
The new M3's have it. I know this because BMW can void the warranty if you have the SMG set to the the fastest shift setting all the time... It beats the **** out of the tranny and despite the fact of them installing this setting you aren't really supposed to use it. It can also track top speeds and RPMS. As well as some other things that they can use to prove you were on a track and void your warranty. I don't get this... its basically a street legal race car, but you can't race it. So dumb[hr]
No, no. You can race it, but they aren't going to support you doing so.
Old 01-12-2003
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] w00t! Having a Black Box to prove your excuse wrong when you are explaining how you got into the accident, and make you look like a f00l! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-12-2003
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn that sucks, but wouldn't the police have to ask your permission to start going through you car's electrical to get this info? Dealers wouldn't but i guess cops would
Old 01-12-2003
Registered!!

SatinSilver2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Logan
The new M3's have it. I know this because BMW can void the warranty if you have the SMG set to the the fastest shift setting all the time... It beats the **** out of the tranny and despite the fact of them installing this setting you aren't really supposed to use it. It can also track top speeds and RPMS. As well as some other things that they can use to prove you were on a track and void your warranty. I don't get this... its basically a street legal race car, but you can't race it. So dumb[hr]
No, no. You can race it, but they aren't going to support you doing so. [hr]

i know that seems stupid....it's like buying a land rover discovery or a jeep and them telling you you have to stay on pavement all the time..

Old 01-12-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: Logan
No, no. You can race it, but they aren't going to support you doing so. [hr]
Sure, you can do it... The incredibly stupid part is that it is a factory feature of the car.... and the BMW factory warranty doesn't cover it. It isn't like something had to be altered within the car to make it do it. All you have to do is flip a switch. And you can't do it. Despite the factory putting it there.
Old 01-12-2003
Registered!!

BlkVeloz is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
I think that there actually are 2 black boxes on airplanes

But anyways..........this is what is recorded in the black box or Event Data Recorder (EDR)

* Vehicle speed (five seconds before impact)
* Engine speed (five seconds before impact)
* Brake status (five seconds before impact)
* Throttle position (five seconds before impact)
* State of driver's seat belt switch (On/Off)
* Passenger's airbag (On/Off)
* IR Warning Lamp status (On/Off)
* Time from vehicle impact to airbag deployment
* Ignition cycle count at event time
* Ignition cycle count at investigation
* Maximum velocity for near-deployment event
* Velocity vs. time for frontal airbag deployment event
* Time from vehicle impact to time of maximum velocity
* Time between near-deploy and deploy event (if within five seconds)

Using this data, insurance agents and police officers can reconstruct the events leading up to a crash.

I know that GM cars have this device. But i'm not sure about our cars.[hr]
5 seconds before impact?? Am I missing something here - how does my car know (5 seconds before) that I'm gonna wreck? Sure our cars are well engineered but I really don't believe they have AI programmed into them . Seriously though, I think 5 ms (milliseconds) is more reasonable.
Old 01-12-2003
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
[hr]Originally posted by: BlkVeloz

5 seconds before impact?? Am I missing something here - how does my car know (5 seconds before) that I'm gonna wreck? Sure our cars are well engineered but I really don't believe they have AI programmed into them . Seriously though, I think 5 ms (milliseconds) is more reasonable.[hr]
*must refrain from bitch slapping the newbie......arggggg.......don't know if I can do it ........ahhhh*

Anyways. So by your theory if it doesn't work at 5 seconds then how could it work at 5 ms? 5ms wouldn't give you any data at all.

On with answering your attempt at making me look like an ***.........The recorder is always recording the car's stats for 5 seconds at any period of time. So when the accident happens, the last 5 seconds logged is what the black box has in its memory.

Now, go learn something or study about a subject before you try to run with the big dogs.

Old 01-13-2003
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
Not too many cars have this, like he said GM does, and I believe most higher end cars too. And by 5 seconds, its the last 5 seconds that were recorded before the air bags were set off, so this recording only occurs in accidents severe enough for bags to deploy, not for fender benders. Seems like a good idea to me though, people can't BS accidents and say they were under the speed limit...