General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

a/f gauge help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
a/f gauge help

alright, so i have my gauge hooked up and it works fine. problem: the past couple weeks (i've had the gauge hooked up since summer) my car has been choking. like i'll start it up, and it will idle really low, and not respond to the throttle at all, even stalling with throttle application. then, once it gets warmed up, the engine will idle at 1500 and stay there, not dropping like it's supposed to. then, just recently, the check engine light came on. i unhooked the gauge, and all the problems went away, then i hooked it back up and it was fine for a week and then the problems came back. any ideas what could be wrong and what i should do to remedy this (besides the obviously smartass answer of just unhooking the gauge, which is pretty undesirable)? thanks for any help people.
Old 01-05-2003
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Boosted2k2 should not be trustedBoosted2k2 should not be trusted
plug the gauge in and when the check engine light comes on check the code
Old 01-05-2003
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
I dont think the gauge is the problem because my car suffers from the same symptoms sometimes. its not severe as yours but id suggest resetting the ecu by unhooking your - battery cable for 15 min. if it persists, take it to the dealer. Brad
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Could you have a bad ground on the gauge? Did you solder and hest shrink the connections? Bad grounds off main power leads are very bad for your car.....
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

1badls is an unknown quantity at this point
You should check all your connections and make sure there tightly fastened down, and make sure your ground is in a good spot. Also you may want to check and see if any ov the wires are open and rubbing against something. But i dont think your a/f guage would cause that problem. Do you have a cold air intake?
Old 01-05-2003
Registered!!

AFlyer is an unknown quantity at this point
yes i have a cold air intake, but i've had it for over a year, that's not the problem. all the symptoms started when i first hooked up the gauge, then got worse. they have to do with whether the gauge is attached or not. thanks guys, i'll check all the connections, maybe ground it somewhere else. tried resetting the ECU, three times, didn't help at all. oh, and if i turn the car off and start it again, then the throttle problem goes away like it was never there.