General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

neuspeed strut tower bar installed question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rackness is an unknown quantity at this point
neuspeed strut tower bar installed

ok i just installed my stb that i recived from the groupbuy w/ tornactive. i torqued the bolts back to spec 33ftlbs no prob w/ a torque wrench. i took it for a test drive and my brake pedal was a whole lot stiffer. is this normal? i did nothing to the brakes what so ever i know this sounds wierd but it is completely true there is significantly less travel in the brake pedal. the car still stops ok; i am just concerned that the bar is having a negative affect on my brakes. this is the first mod i have ever done to my car so i am new at this thx in advance for any and all replys
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-15-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
My brake pedal was fine. I had no problem when installing mine. I got mine from the same GB.

Results noticed so far:

1. There is this one turn that maximum speed I could take at was 60 MPH. With the bar, I can now take it at 80 MPH and still some speed left.

2. There is an exit ramp where my max speed was 35 MPH. With the bar, I can now take it at 50 MPH.

I LOVE THIS BAR!!!!

Old 12-15-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Your brakes shouldn't have been affected. The only thing that I can think of is that you bumped your brake fluid reservoir while installing and you got some air bubbles out of the system. Then you would have a stiffer brake pedal, but then that would be a good thing. I can't imagine such a situation happening, but I guess it's possible. Did you raise the front end any when installing? Then again, your struts would fall to the ground as soon as you took out those bolts if you did. Hmm... I have no clue. It must be your imagination. Although...

I bet braking is slightly improved because the chassis doesn't flex while braking. Maybe this is what you feel? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

yeah it is definatly strange makes no sense to me i only removed the 2 outside bolts i did not jack the car up either the pedal was rock hard when i first got into the car but after i started the car it softend up a bit but it is definatly stiffer now i will keep an eye on it to see if anything happens. if reduced chassis flex is inhancing my braking wow i must have had a whole lot of flex going on.
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

BlueFlame is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: rackness
... the pedal was rock hard when i first got into the car but after i started the car it softend up a bit but...[hr]
Actually that's normal, the brakes don't engage until after you start the car. The engine has to be running in order to apply the brakes.
Exception: You step on the brake and then turn the car off, in which case the brakes will lock after you take your foot off the padal.

And is that groupbuy still on? I'm broke as hell, but nyeh .. I've got credit cards with a little room left on them if it's still possible to get in on this ..
Old 12-15-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: BlueFlame
Actually that's normal, the brakes don't engage until after you start the car. The engine has to be running in order to apply the brakes.
Exception: You step on the brake and then turn the car off, in which case the brakes will lock after you take your foot off the padal.

And is that groupbuy still on? I'm broke as hell, but nyeh .. I've got credit cards with a little room left on them if it's still possible to get in on this ..[hr]
Actually no, they work independently of the engine firing. I worked on my brakes yesterday, so I know. I had the car up on jack stands up front with the e-brake on. You can turn the wheels by hand. Then you can step on the brakes and you won't be able to turn the wheels. I put a board betwean my brake pedal and seat so that I could un-torwue my lug nuts. Just a little trick that saves some time...
Old 12-15-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all

And is that groupbuy still on? I'm broke as hell, but nyeh .. I've got credit cards with a little room left on them if it's still possible to get in on this ..[hr]
Sorry, it ended. Most of us should have gotten ours by now. Rob might have one left. I don't know though.

Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
Exception: You step on the brake and then turn the car off, in which case the brakes will lock after you take your foot off the padal.[hr]
Actually no, they work independently of the engine firing. [hr]
Really? because my brakes won't engage .. well, unless the key is in the ignition. I'm pretty sure. I know I've sat in my car before and the brakes won't depress.

When it comes down to it however, I'm more inclined to trust you than myself. You know what the hell you're talking about ...
Old 12-15-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
its different for an auto and a manual.
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
Seems like you would have brakes, just w/o the power assist.

Grey: I used that trick when I installed me and my wife's spoilers to find the right wire to hook up the brake light. Both are replicas so I didn't have a clue as to which wire it was...
Old 12-15-2002
Premium Boosted Member

MadWheel will become famous soon enoughMadWheel will become famous soon enough
Our brakes are power assisted, when the engine is off there is nothing assisting "pumping" of the brakes. When you start it the engine generates the pressure you need to get the braking. shut the car off after running it and using the brakes, you'll be able to push it down a couple times then it will get really stiff. after you start the engine the stiffness will be gone
Old 12-15-2002
DIY King

Yeah, that makes sense. No power assist when the engine isn't running. That's why the brake pedal feels so stiff...
You do have brakes when the engine isn't running though, just no power assist. I guess it's tougher to brake when the engine isn't on. Then again, this isn't a problem unless you stall the car on the freeway. Whoops!
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
damn I want to install mine...but I dun have a torque wrench! =*(
Old 12-15-2002
Premium Member

Bartkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Why not just put the car in gear to undo the lug nuts? Or break them loose before you raise the wheels offf the ground.

As for the Neuspeed bar, I had to jack up the drivers side and wiggle the wheel in order to get the strut bolts to line up. But that was in the instructions.
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

the bar dropped on no prob i just had to bend the clutch resivoir bracket a hair the brakes just feel overly stiff since i put it on. i did not have to jack the car at all. i think i may remove it and compare and then put it back on. it was just wierd my brakes have never been stiff since i have owned the car even with the car off when i am starting it. thx for all the replies
Old 12-15-2002
Premium Member

My brake pedal has always been sorta mushy. But the brakes work good.
Old 12-15-2002
Registered!!

exactly mine was mushy too now it is not it is really wierd still stops fine but harder to push the pedal. i am baffled[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-15-2002
Premium Member

I can't really come up with anything on that problem. Usual problems are just the opposite. Low fluid or air in the lines make brakes soft, but I have no idea what would cause it to become stiffer.
Old 12-16-2002
Registered!!

I KNEW it!!! So I was kinda right then. Sort of. Well, maybe not so much .. but I like to think I was, so I'm gonna go ahead and think that. Anyways, I knew it had something to do with 'power brakes' or whatever. Good to know, thanks guys ...
Old 12-16-2002
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
I could have sworn power assist doesn't factor in much when you're in a manual transmission... as in, the brakes doesn't get stiff even after you apply it...

cuz I apply my brakes many times when I have the engine off... when I'm rolling it somewhere or etc...

anyway. what do I know. heh.

Old 12-16-2002
DIY King

[hr]Originally posted by: Bartkat
Why not just put the car in gear to undo the lug nuts? Or break them loose before you raise the wheels offf the ground.[hr]
Putting the car into gear does not offer enough resistence. You can turn your wheels and hear the gears turning. Hehe...
I could break them loose when they're on the ground. Yeah. Although I always tend to forget before I raise the car. That's why I do the brake trick. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]