General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

air vents flop around :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dups is an unknown quantity at this point
air vents flop around :(

Ok, so a while back I tried an aftermarket HU in my car, and had best buy install it because I was afraid I would break something (after this though I know do everything on my own and take the chance)... in any case, I decided not to go w/ the HU because I like how the stock one looked better. So I had them put the stock back in and everything. Ever since then the air vents in the center console above the radio are not as stiff as they were when the car was new. You barely tap the vents and they like fly up so the air is going up and its just really annoying. I've tried taking out the console since then (when I got up the courage to do it) and I realized they didn't put all of the screws back in that held the radio in, they only did half of them because they were too lazy (grrrr) and not only that but the screws were in there too f**king tight and were stripped some as well so I couldn't get them out either. How do I fix this?! I need to figure out how to like tighten the air vents, I haven't been able to yet, and I wanna know what I should do about those screws, I'm not planning on taking out the stock HU for a while, but I may try another headunit at some point in the future and I'll need to get those out. Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

LikeWEEEEEEEEEE is an unknown quantity at this point
same thing happens to me, and i havent modded any interior or audio part.
Old 12-02-2002
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
Same here. Just spill some Coca-Cola down in the hinges. This will make them stick.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

but they weren't loose like that till best buy f**ked with it.... now I can't get it to go back, its a real pain in the ***.
Old 12-02-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
[hr]Originally posted by: FlyRiceRacer02
Same here. Just spill some Coca-Cola down in the hinges. This will make them stick.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr]
lol, yes! why didn't i think of that

i've had that problem ever since I got my car. it annoyed me at first but i've gotten ued to it. i'll try the coke thing later
Old 12-02-2002
AR
e-married to daydreamer

AR will become famous soon enough
man fnck that i hate best buy. i have gone to them before and they cant do anything right.
sorry bro
Old 12-02-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I don't think it happens after a stereo install 'cause mine happened after some time had passed. Anyway, the way to fix it is to use little tiny O-rings on the air vent mounts. Mine are nice and stiff now. I'm going to do the side ones eventually to match the stiffness of the center ones. Try it, it works.
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

Importracer will become famous soon enoughImportracer will become famous soon enough
or...... you guys could just take your car to the honda dealership show them whats going on, have them order the part, and then 2 days later the parts will show up and then it take like 5 minutes for them to put them in and then your done and no worries! thats what i did with mine, they said its a known defect.
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

SLeePeR012 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok I got the same problem but my sides does it too, so basically all my vents. When i hit a bump they'll move a lil and they are always, ALWAYS facing down no mater what. If I make em face up 5mins later they'll all be down. Anyways ITS NOT THE SCREWS! The vents have lil clips on the sides, one on each side, they sorta 'pop' in the side walls of the vent square so they'll hold there. When we do our DIY vent painting and stuff we are told to pull em out, this hurts the lil clip and it can break off easily, this is what happened to me on my vents. When you take em out you shave a part of the clip OR you eat up the clip holder, the clip holder is jus a lil opening on the side wall for the vent clip to stay in place. Regardless, it's plastic and small and it will damage. I bought my vents and center counsol cuz it was bothering me for soo long off HondaWerx for 25 bucks.
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

Crashoveride is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah all of mine do it as well, thats on the to do list for me while the car is up for the winter. I think I will go with Greys O-Ring deal rather than FlyRiceRacer02's Coke trick ......
Old 12-02-2002

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
I'll make a DIY for fixing your vents with Coke.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-02-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
what i REALLY hate is when you're friends are in the car and you just set your air vents perfect the day before and they go and start facing them away from them not realizing there's a SWITCH that will turn them off. what's even more frustrating is when they're getting in or out of the car and accidently bump into them..
Old 12-02-2002

Tell me about it Mex........i get so pissed. Everytime they do it, I have to go through and re-Coke my vents.......its a damn pain.
Old 12-02-2002
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Importracer
or...... you guys could just take your car to the honda dealership show them whats going on, have them order the part, and then 2 days later the parts will show up and then it take like 5 minutes for them to put them in and then your done and no worries! thats what i did with mine, they said its a known defect.[hr]
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]Or you could take it to the dealership and they could keep it for a couple days and then tell you they couldn't find a problem.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: Importracer
or...... you guys could just take your car to the honda dealership show them whats going on, have them order the part, and then 2 days later the parts will show up and then it take like 5 minutes for them to put them in and then your done and no worries! thats what i did with mine, they said its a known defect.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Or you could take it to the dealership and they could keep it for a couple days and then tell you they couldn't find a problem.

[hr]
Or..... You could take it to the dealer, and (in my case) they will open up the console and realize that somebody (best buy) has f**ked with the radio and stuff and say that your warranty service type stuff is void and you're going to have to pay $500 in parts and labor for a couple of O-Rings that they are going to slide into the hinges to fix the problem. I think on something this small I'll do it myself....
Old 12-02-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02CivicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]Or you could take it to the dealership and they could keep it for a couple days and then tell you they couldn't find a problem.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][hr][/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth.. I have the same problom, i just move it a bit and it stops!
Old 01-02-2003
Registered!!

deathor is an unknown quantity at this point
I would never go to my dealership again, because of a very long story (many long stories, they should go to jail for what's happened..anyway).
But anyway, the vents bug the hell out of me by being able to move/flop around.

IF someone can do a diy or explain with more detail about the rings, it would help. I'm an idiot and don't know how or what to do with the O-rings. Where to get them..what specific kind?
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-02-2003
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I guess the easiest way to do it is to take out the dash (just like when you're installing a head unit). Then take out one of the air vents. Then go to a hardware store and see what kind of o-ring would fit onto the air vent. Then just re-assemble everything. That's basically what I did. I don't remember what size I bought. It was like 1/16" thick and maybe an inside diameter of 3/16". Something like that...

Good luck!
Old 01-02-2003
Registered!!

deathor is an unknown quantity at this point
Thx, handsome!
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG]

I think that I will try that when I have some spare time OR when I Get really pissed at my vents and tear them apart.