General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

mental property theft aka "he is gonna copy me!"

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
mental property theft aka "he is gonna copy me!"

I dont normally feel like this is something that needs saying, but lately ive been reading that some people are not into sharing ideas in fear that they are "giving away" ideas, or worried that others will copy thier brilliant idea, etc, etc, etc.

the only think i have to say about it is this: If they are not willing to do all the research you did, all the planning, then they most likely wont follow through with copying it!

ive written several several several diy's how to move the radio to the center console. how to build kickpanels. how to make dashboard guage pods. grey has posted diy on making pedals, hood struts, all sorts of aluminum goodies (liek teh valve cover) how to refinish your door, etc.

i have yet to see anyone talk about how they were sucsessful to duplicate it. and if they did, more power to them! I'd be so happy if someone were able to take my DIY and build a good set of kickpanels!

mowhawk apparently is trying to build his own intake manifold. ive talked before about building a new intake pre-throttle body. both of us could really care about our mental property being stolen, that we will lose our uniquness! he understands that if anyone really has the motivation to try it, they deserve to have teh same setup!

so lets try to not hold back the freeflow of ideas, huh? often times just brainstorming doesnt lead to the theft of ideas, but rather the formation of new and exiting ideas that TRULY make modification unique!
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Sounds like something you hear often when people are starting their own businesses. They're scared to let their secrets or ideas out in fear that someone else will beat them to it. The only way to conquer the fear of having your ideas stolen are to do it first, and do it better. You can't keep secrets forever, and it's gonna get stolen eventually. You might as well work on reserving the title as first to do it, and best at doing it.

And then there's the fact that we all drive the same car, and we're all members of this forum for the same reason......to share info and ideas.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

WHTRIC is an unknown quantity at this point
Whiterabbit I couldn't agree with you more.. More then anything it is nice to see what somebody else did so you can change it to your tastes also it is nice to be able to avoid the same mistakes others made. Where are your diys located at I haven't seen them within this website.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

Subrage is an unknown quantity at this point
im trying to figure out a way for DIY leather interior. but have sat down and did much reaserch
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: AEMcivic
You might as well work on reserving the title as first to do it, and best at doing it. [hr]

you missed my point entirely! the point was that more often than not, if they are asking questions about YOUR stuff, then they probably dont have the motivation to even do it in the first place! and if they do do it, then usually its a cheap ripoff, cant even compare to your "innovation!"

as to innovation of new ideas, i cant tell you how many people run my componnet set because I reasoned through it online, and others saw it and had the money before i did. ill repeat, so what? why is important to be the first? i say its more important to be the best, and not cause you BOUGHT the best stuff. but cause you spent the most time and effort with what you bought.

i say forget holding back to be teh first. i say being first is meaningless.

edit: about my DIY's, ive only written one formal diy, and it was lost somewhere in this forum. I took that to mean that noone here was really interested in a general DIY from me. I write my diy's by a case by case system, youll find them in posts title stuff like "fiberglass tricks" or "radio by the cig lighter" or threads with similar names. I have no written diy's sticky and immortalized on this forum.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
no, I think you missed MY point entirely. I was totally agreeing with you.........only giving an example from a entrepreneur's point of view. I basically meant the same thing you said in both your posts. Maybe I just didn't word it right.
Being first doesn't mean that you're holding out. If you hold out then someone else will eventually come up with a similar idea. It means you are quick to release your idea so that people will know you thought of it first. And because you were the first (whether people know that or not), you have more experience and can work on doing it better. Whereas others who want to copy you will have to work on getting it right before they can even think about making their copy better than yours.

Cliffnotes: It's stupid to try to worry about someone taking your idea. Who cares?
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

CivicPunker17 is an unknown quantity at this point
somebody had said something to me before about not revealing all the info of how the return line set up was done on my car. this is becasue #1, its insanely complicated and #2, a whole turbo kit WITH return line parts and instructions is going to be produced directly out of skr for sale to anyone in the US. so i really can't give detailed instructions. its like writing a novel without publishing it, telling someone the plot in detail, then they write the book and publish before you. youre screwed and it wasn't your idea. id love to share every single aspect of the turbo kit with return line, but the thing is i can't. but id love to write up a full interior DIY someday soon. i tell anyone who asks me EXACTLY how i did that one.
Old 11-26-2002
Registered!!

OMega is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: CivicPunker17
somebody had said something to me before about not revealing all the info of how the return line set up was done on my car. this is becasue #1, its insanely complicated and #2, a whole turbo kit WITH return line parts and instructions is going to be produced directly out of skr for sale to anyone in the US. so i really can't give detailed instructions. its like writing a novel without publishing it, telling someone the plot in detail, then they write the book and publish before you. youre screwed and it wasn't your idea. id love to share every single aspect of the turbo kit with return line, but the thing is i can't. but id love to write up a full interior DIY someday soon. i tell anyone who asks me EXACTLY how i did that one.[hr]
There is an exception to every rule. I think your case falls in that category. Profit is going to be made from a unique idea. That goes beyond DIY on something common like a stereo installation walk through.

I myself plan on doing a DIY on a pc install in the near future and there are certain unique aspects of the install¡¦s components that I will not reveal. I¡¦m doing this cause I might plan on profiting off some of ¡§unique¡¨ parts of the project.