General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

want to install cobra eyes....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuledya is an unknown quantity at this point
want to install cobra eyes....

Okay, I have a 2001 ex. I didn't get the factory fog lights, but there seems to be a place to mount a toggle switch just left of the cigarette lighter thingy, just in front of the stick shift. Does that cover just pry out? Secondly, I would like to hook them into the parking lights, NOT THE DIRECTIONAL LIGHTS, that way they'll come on automatically when I turn my parking lights on, and I can then turn them off manually from inside the car with the toggle switch. Does anyone know the best place to access the power wire for the parking lights? Should I remove the fender black wheel well cover to find it? Where's the best place to run the wire thru the firewall? If I run them into the parking lights power supply they won't blink with my directionals will they? Thanks guys.
Justin
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes, that cover just pries out. Basically what you'll have to do for this set up is get to the parking lights by moving that black thing out of the way. You can look in the manual on how to do that. Look up replacing bulbs. Now there are going to be 3 wires coming out of the harness I think. One is the parking light, one is the turn signal and one is a ground wire. Obviously the black wire is the ground. I'm not sure which wire is which I would just guess if I was you and if it doesn't work try the other one. Run a wire from there to the switch inside your car and then run another wire from the switch to the Fog Lights or whatever you're talking about. That way the lights will come on with your parking lights as long as the switch is set to ON. And you'll be able to shut them off with the switch too. If I was you I would just run a wire from the battery, then to the switch, and then to the fog lights. This way you can turn the lights on and off no matter what else you have on. If you're going to do all this work there's no reason for restricting yourself to only being able to turn them on when your parking lights are on.

If I didn't do a good job explaining myself just ask. I suck at telling people how to do stuff. : ) Don't be afraid to PM me either.
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

cvc2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: nytejade
Yes, that cover just pries out. Basically what you'll have to do for this set up is get to the parking lights by moving that black thing out of the way. You can look in the manual on how to do that. Look up replacing bulbs. Now there are going to be 3 wires coming out of the harness I think. One is the parking light, one is the turn signal and one is a ground wire. Obviously the black wire is the ground. I'm not sure which wire is which I would just guess if I was you and if it doesn't work try the other one. Run a wire from there to the switch inside your car and then run another wire from the switch to the Fog Lights or whatever you're talking about. That way the lights will come on with your parking lights as long as the switch is set to ON. And you'll be able to shut them off with the switch too. If I was you I would just run a wire from the battery, then to the switch, and then to the fog lights. This way you can turn the lights on and off no matter what else you have on. If you're going to do all this work there's no reason for restricting yourself to only being able to turn them on when your parking lights are on.

If I didn't do a good job explaining myself just ask. I suck at telling people how to do stuff. : ) Don't be afraid to PM me either.[hr]

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! THAT IS VERY GHETTO!!!

okay... your foglamps comes with a relay. one wire is to the battery. one to the ground. the other wire is from your switch... and to the switch is the parking light wire. once you have completed the install your fog lamps will work like this..

RUnning Lamp ON, Foglamp Switch ON, then your Foglamp will be ON.
Running Lamp ON, Foglamp switch OFF, then your Foglamp will be OFF

but keep in mind... if you have an alarm.. when you arm/disarm.. your fog lamps will blink if the switch is ON
oh yeah.. your fog lamps wont blink if you turn your "DIRECTIONALS" blinkers on

look up the alarm install on the DIY portion of this site. you will find the parking light wire. hoook up your foglamp tp that wire. =]
DO NOT HOOK IT UP TO YOUR HEADLIGHT! that is plain....... *****h rigged ghetto...
i keep all my installs clean... no extra wires dangling around. keep the wiring as clean as possible...
Wiring Diagrams For 7th Gen Civic ALARM
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! THAT IS VERY GHETTO!!!

okay... your foglamps comes with a relay. one wire is to the battery. one to the ground. the other wire is from your switch... and to the switch is the parking light wire. once you have completed the install your fog lamps will work like this..

RUnning Lamp ON, Foglamp Switch ON, then your Foglamp will be ON.
Running Lamp ON, Foglamp switch OFF, then your Foglamp will be OFF

but keep in mind... if you have an alarm.. when you arm/disarm.. your fog lamps will blink if the switch is ON
oh yeah.. your fog lamps wont blink if you turn your "DIRECTIONALS" blinkers on

look up the alarm install on the DIY portion of this site. you will find the parking light wire. hoook up your foglamp tp that wire. =]
DO NOT HOOK IT UP TO YOUR HEADLIGHT! that is plain....... *****h rigged ghetto...
i keep all my installs clean... no extra wires dangling around. keep the wiring as clean as possible...
Wiring Diagrams For 7th Gen Civic ALARM[hr][/QUOTE]

Uhmm... You basically just repeated what I said except I didn't include the relay because it was unecessary to.

Moron...
Old 11-18-2002
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
if i were you dont even worry abiut attaching to corners, just attach to the wire coming out the back of the cigaretter lighter, and that way it will turn off when you turn your car of and then put a switch inbetween the power and lights and that way you can toggle on and off. this ay ou dont have to run unneccesary wires to headlamps and aso if you just peel back back f cig lighter you can just tie around the power that way no cutting of wres is needed. (i sodered mine instead of wrapping but its the same thing) just ground to hood or anything you want to.

riley
p.s. you'll fin an sccess thru firewall on passenger side if you reach under dash in corner near center console (peel back carpet) and yull see a gasket just pounch hole thru it and push wires theu.

pm me for more help
Old 11-18-2002
ThE FaMiLy SeDaN

rijowysock will become famous soon enough
that was to install the cobra eyes but if you doing the fog's just do what^^^^^ they say. if you attach ot to cig lighter fuse wll blow.

started to read the text but computr is slow and just clicked reply b4 reading evryones

riley
Old 11-19-2002
Registered!!

If I didn't do a good job explaining myself just ask. I suck at telling people how to do stuff. : ) Don't be afraid to PM me either.[hr]

yo ghetto bird... you suggested him to hook up the signal wire to his headlamp..
"You can look in the manual on how to do that. Look up replacing bulbs. Now there are going to be 3 wires coming out of the harness I think." that is just plain unclean. what if the circuit draw alot of current from that wire? then one corner light will be brighter then the other... .
and wutsup with this?
"One is the parking light, one is the turn signal and one is a ground wire. Obviously the black wire is the ground. I'm not sure which wire is which I would just guess if I was you and if it doesn't work try the other one. "
there is something called a "LIGHT TESTER"
the "LIGHT TESTER" will help you test the correct wire... trial and error is dangerous.... what if you short something out?
who is the moron now... hahahah
Old 11-19-2002

Okay, A little clarity here,
I'm attaching cobra eyes, the led lighted windshield washers, not fog lights, sorry for the confusion. The reason I mentioned fog lights was I was wondering if that rectangle piece next to the cigarette lighter is where they mount the fog light switch? How does it come off? Secondly, if I was to tap into the cigarette power wire, how do I access it? Does that panel come off fairly easily?
Old 11-19-2002
Registered!!

curt is an unknown quantity at this point
aight fuledya, i have those lights aswell, what i did was i connected them to my fog lights so when i turn my fog lights on they come one, if ou dont have fog lights you can connect them to the small parking light not the turn signal but the small little light. 2 ways to connect and access the light.
1st way is to take off the front bumber, there is a DIY in here that you can get and it shows how to take it off if you dont know how to, it is the one where you are going to replace yout headlights, it is very easy should only take about 45 min to do everything. I promise you.
2nd way you can go through the tire wall should only be like 3 clips or so and you can access it that way but it can be very tight. if you do it either way I dont understand why you want to have a toggle switch next to the cig lighter, but if you want to know how to take that off you can go to DIY where you want to remove the center console which is in the shorshifter adapter and also you have to go to put in a new radio. very easy aswell. should only take you to do that 5 min at the most, I did it the first time and was very easy.
hope this helped you out
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

i still think you should use the ALARM DIY to link up the running light wire. its up to you though.. since you are wiring a switch to the light.. you will be running the wire through the firewall... why would you run the wires from the light... to the switch... from the switch... through the firewall... and then to the headlamp? doesnt sound right.
you should just run the wire for the light through the firewall... to the switch.. then back to the running light wire located near the driver kick panel.
Old 11-20-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: cvc2k2

yo ghetto bird... you suggested him to hook up the signal wire to his headlamp..
"You can look in the manual on how to do that. Look up replacing bulbs. Now there are going to be 3 wires coming out of the harness I think." that is just plain unclean. what if the circuit draw alot of current from that wire? then one corner light will be brighter then the other... .
and wutsup with this?
"One is the parking light, one is the turn signal and one is a ground wire. Obviously the black wire is the ground. I'm not sure which wire is which I would just guess if I was you and if it doesn't work try the other one. "
there is something called a "LIGHT TESTER"
the "LIGHT TESTER" will help you test the correct wire... trial and error is dangerous.... what if you short something out?
who is the moron now... hahahah[hr]

I'm assuming that not everyone owns a light tester here. I certainly don't. You won't blow anything as long as you're careful and hook everything up properly. I'm not going to bother commenting on the rest because you're so wrong. Anyhow. You shouldn't be calling anyone a moron with your poor grammar. : )
Old 11-20-2002

Well there done[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] I must say I got a lot of help from this board. Finding the right place to go through the firewall, I at first was looking on the drivers side, no wayyyyyy! And I also didn't know how to remove the center console, but found the info in the DIY. Man that thing kicks! Well, I hooked them into the parking light relay, at the bottom of the inside fuse panel for know, wrapping the power wire around the prong, then plugging it back in. I mounted a switch just to the left of the cigarette plug in, using the exisiting switch thingy. I tell you, it was a lot of work though! The only thing I had a problem was I had to put a 20 amp fuse instead of the stock 15 amp fuse under the hood for "small lights" I keep blowing my parking light fuse. Thanks again to everyone who pointed me in the right direction!
Old 11-20-2002

HEY cvc2k2!
I checked the DIY and saw no mention of where to tie into the parking light power wire near the kick panel
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Can you explan to me where exactly it is and which wire?
Old 11-20-2002

BTW, does anyone know if i'll hurt anything running a 20 amp fuse in the 15 amp slot for the parking lights?