General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Valve Cover HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AbercrombieFF is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve Cover HELP

I was attempting the DIY valve cover paint job today (not the plastic wire cover, the valve cover), but didn't have enough time and had to put the works back together. In the process, I overtightened and broke off one of the bolts holding it on. I don't have a picture, but it is the one in front of and to the far right of the ignition coils. It's under the bundle of wires running from under the wire cover alongside the A/C lines. What I'm wondering is, do I need to take it to my dealership right away to be fixed, of should it be okay for a while. Also, what might be involved in fixing it, and should my warranty cover it? Thanks guys!!!! [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-29-2002
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
YOU DID IT! Why is the warranty going to cover it? The Honda Warranty doesn't even cover wear items, and you think they're going to cover something that you broke while painting your engine?
Common sense would dictate that if you broke something on the engine, you go and get it fixed as fast as you can. If you're lucky, it didn't snap off flush and they can get it out without having to drill the bolt out. Get a torque wrench if you're going to be messing with the engine.
Old 10-29-2002
x-factor

prototype is on a distinguished road
yer screwed! get that fixed right away b/c if that side isnt tight then yer gonna be leaking oil out of the cover and thats a no-no
Old 11-18-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I snapped one of my bolts on the valve cover too, I am so pissed... My engine runs like crap now at low RPM's, probably got a vacuum leak where that bolt is. I still have the bolt and gasket in there but Its not tight. I got the bolt I need on order from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com I don't know how I'm gunna get the bolt out, i think I'll have to drill a small hole it it and get a screw with a reverse thread on it or something.. THis sucks because it gets dark now at like 4:00 and its getting cold out and I don't have a garage. The thing was I decided to tighten some bolts one day, don't know why just figured since winter was coming.. I should have left well enough alone!