General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Over torqued lug nut

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Over torqued lug nut

I over torqued one of my lug nuts and the socket broke off like 4 cm of thread from the hub. Teh socket is unusable so I had to use an old one. THank God it fit on my after market rims. There was like 2 cm of thread left, so I was able to still get the rim on securely. But this isn't safe and want to know what I can do guys.

Some one told me that those screws in the rotor are like 3 bucks, but you gotta disassemble the rotor to get to the back and push out the screw. Do you guys know how to do that?

Grey maybe...you always know how to do every thing and your DIYs are always so complete.

If I can't do it myself, anyone know how much the real cost would be and estimates of fixing this problem.

My week is going horrible. Second week of school and I got three quizzes, a flat tire with a nail in it, and now this. Life is kicking my butt, so I hope one of you guys can cheer me up a little bit. Thanks...
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: DuYaKnow
I over torqued one of my lug nuts and the socket broke off like 4 cm of thread from the hub. Teh socket is unusable so I had to use an old one. THank God it fit on my after market rims. There was like 2 cm of thread left, so I was able to still get the rim on securely. But this isn't safe and want to know what I can do guys.

Some one told me that those screws in the rotor are like 3 bucks, but you gotta disassemble the rotor to get to the back and push out the screw. Do you guys know how to do that?

Grey maybe...you always know how to do every thing and your DIYs are always so complete.

If I can't do it myself, anyone know how much the real cost would be and estimates of fixing this problem.

My week is going horrible. Second week of school and I got three quizzes, a flat tire with a nail in it, and now this. Life is kicking my butt, so I hope one of you guys can cheer me up a little bit. Thanks...[hr]
Do you mean that you broke off the Stud? Or just broke off part of the Lug Nut? I'm guessing you broke the Stud,(thas what you meant by the screw right?) If you have 3 Lug Nuts on there you should be okay but you do need to get the Stud fixed. Just about any Tire Shop or Garage could do the work, and it shouldn't cost much. Just take it in and ask for a estimate, Good Luck.

(BTW what were you using to put the wheel on with? A Impact Gun or a Lug Wrench? If you used a Lug wrench, then you must have some Guns on your arms!)
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Well, it'll probably cost arount $110 in labor for a $10 part. Or, you could do it yourself. You'll have to remove the axle and have a machine shop remove the stud and press one in hydraulicly. It's not hard, just time consuming.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

Vinz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm. Also, maybe you should invest in a torque wrench. The cheap $30 ones work just fine for the casual modder.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
Dang...over 100 bucks. I was hoping like 50-70 bucks to fix this. So if I wanted to do it myself, I'd still have to take it to a machine shop to pop the stud out.

I guess since I'm paying for the laber of taking out the stud, it might be a good time to get new rotors or the Willwood kit. Damn, so little time since school started and so little money.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

I don't think it will cost $100, but call to find out, its not that hard and most times the Stud can be installed with out a machine shop style press. The shop I worked at would use a flat high strength Lug Nut and just pull it through with a impact gun, and most of the time removing the brake rotor and knocking out the Stud with a Punch and Hammer was all you needed to do, and most of the time there was enough room to feed a new stud behind the axle, and just pull it through with a impact gun. I've done it many times.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Vinz
Hmm. Also, maybe you should invest in a torque wrench. The cheap $30 ones work just fine for the casual modder.[hr]
When I rotated my tires last week my friend laughed at me for using my Torque Wrench, maybe I should have him read this post.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

1955 is an unknown quantity at this point
u can replace the wheel stud simply by knockin it out from the front of it,u might wanna spray a bit of penetration fluid to loosen it up first (btw, thats after u have remove the brake caliper and rotor),an impact wrench is nice to have if u workin with nuts and bolts all day for a living but an average person like us really dont need it ,its kinda funny to see someone to hook up a compressor to build up pressure and then hook up the wrench just to take off a few bolts, ahhh really look funny.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

angjc3 is an unknown quantity at this point
dont overtorque your bolts!!!

especially if you have aftermarket rims

because I went to get my tire's rotated

and the guy was like "make sure you use 80 lbs/torque"

because they say your rims will warp....

just to let everyone know!

of I'm wrong....please feel free to correct me

Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Good Lord, this is such a simple fix. Go buy a new stud from AutoZone or wherever. Take off the wheel. Use a hammer to bang the old stud out. Put the new stud in...it won't go easy, but get some thread to appear on the other side. Then screw a lug nut onto it to pull it through the rest of the way. Problem solved.
Old 12-06-2002
Registered!!

Bryn is an unknown quantity at this point
1955:
they're not talkin' about air wrenches, just a simple $30 torque wrench, which looks a lot like a ratchet. It's always a good thing to have like they said above! And it is true that you can warp your rims or rotors by not properly torquing your lugs.

Good luck with the fix.