General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

LED install*

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the1sthotboy is an unknown quantity at this point
LED install*

Ok guys, I am here led's and I have a question..
Who ever has mede their AC controls Blue should know this!!!
the LED lights that are attached to 2 wires on the AC buttons (that turn on green&Yellow)factory......
I want to know if i can snip those "factory" ones off and buy some of the led's pictured above & have them soudered on?![spellchek]
will it work? it is possible..but will it work? and has anyone tryed this?? -thanx for your replies "HIGH TECH'S"

Sampsonite
it should work, but you have to make sure that you hook it up right...if you switch the wires, the LEDs won't work......i don't know if that would cause any other problems to happen...like the problems with not being careful when replacing your Head Unit....good luck

the1sthotboy
well i aint gunna try it unless I am sure of what I am getting into ...anybody else have any input?
I wanna do this sooo bad...but dont wanna fry anything...lol

Oishi
it will work...its just that its up to you if you want to spend the time to do it...if you put it backwards it wont light up but it wont do anything else...the reason why there's two colors for the gauges in the civic is coz they use a dual led package...i went to lite-on website and asked for samples for some of their leds...and i got 4 blue ones and 4 white ones...i'm waiting for summer to get here so i can make a built it garage door opener and use a blue led for the visual effects...now i need to brainstorm what else i can make...i can probably drill a hole on the side of the console by the feet and put the blue leds there too...cool.........now i'm getting some ideas...sweet...

the1sthotboy
F.Uck it, Im gunna grab my Ballz & try it ...will let u guys know how it goes.. when I recieve it
Old 09-22-2002
Registered!!

the1sthotboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Nevermind the top its kind of confusing but.. I went to radioshack & the guy said that the LED iodes wont work right if soudered on because of the voltage...? Does any one know the voltage thats coming out of the AC control led's?(green+yellow AC & Defrost buttons) im trying to replace em ..but I want to have the correct ohms before messin w/ it![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-23-2002
Registered!!

CivicTypeR01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok first off, good thinking on this idea I ALREADY did this about three months ago with my 200 Civic Si which also has the EXACT same voltage as the 01-02 Civics. I turned my gauges blue but then the light up parts red. Well here is the deal first you will need from radioshack or radioshack.com :

5mm small (whatever color you want to change) LED
It must be 12volts.

if it is NOT 12v on the package then you will need a 270ohm resistor to put in line with the led. 250ohm -300ohms is also acceptable but don't go outside those areas or you will burn out the LEDS.

Then to wire all you do is use some test wire to figure out which is positive and negative so that you can figure out which one you will have to do to light up the LED this will be trial and error. Then leave enough of the lead so that it will make it the same height you had the stock led and solder (correct spelling) away.

Any further questions man don't heasitate to email or PM.

It is 100% the brightness of stock so don't worry about it being dim!