General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Changing guages of a DX to an EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ehj3000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Changing guages of a DX to an EX

I just bought a 2002 Civic DX and the Dashboard guages look ugly. I seen the Dashboard guages on the LX/EX and they look better. Is it possible to get the dashboard guages from and LX/EX and put them in to a DX and have everything work?
Old 08-26-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
welcome.
In regards to your question. I belive this has been covered before. Do a sear it will help you a lot.
Old 08-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
yes it can be done, alot of the dx members have done this swap =)I did and so did anibal. If you want more info on it do a search for dx cluster and you should find lots of info =)
Old 08-26-2002
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
Yes, you can go ahead and swap the clusters but there's a few things you're going to have to remember:

1) The mileage *is not* stored in the ECU and displayed back on the cluster. It's actually kept inside the cluster. You would have to take a sticky or something and write down the current mileage and stick it on the door sill. This is to keep the car 'legal', espically if you go to sell.

2) AFAIK, the tach will not work on the cluster. It'll just sit there. As long as you're cool with that, go for it.
Old 08-26-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
[hr]Originally posted by: taz757
Yes, you can go ahead and swap the clusters but there's a few things you're going to have to remember:

1) The mileage *is not* stored in the ECU and displayed back on the cluster. It's actually kept inside the cluster. You would have to take a sticky or something and write down the current mileage and stick it on the door sill. This is to keep the car 'legal', espically if you go to sell.

2) AFAIK, the tach will not work on the cluster. It'll just sit there. As long as you're cool with that, go for it.[hr]
Even if you get the tach to work the redline is 200 off!
Old 09-05-2002
Registered!!

Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
In regards to what silverdevil said, the gauge cluster swap works just fine, tach works, and is not off at all, the only problem is with the miles on the gauge cluster. Old cluster retains your old mileage, and the new cluster starts over at o.
The tach wire is inside the wiring harness that comes to the connection on your gauge cluster.
Any question feel free to send me a message.
aol - webbiedx
late
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

Thor is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Changing guages of a DX to an EX

Hello everyone,

I have an 02 Civic DX and ordered a gauge cluster from an LX off of ebay. After plugging in the new cluster nothing happened. I even reinstalled my old cluster and I notice as soon as you plug it in it makes noise and winds up. Yet with the LX one nothing happens even after starting the car.

After I spoke with the person who sold it to me they said I may need to take it to the dealer and have it scanned? He said something about the chip in my key needs to match the gauge cluster.

I honestly don't think my DX civic even has a chip in my key. So the question is do you think this guy is trying to scam me with a broken peice of cluster?

Thanks for your help all.

Thor
Old 05-12-2009
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Thor
Hello everyone,

I have an 02 Civic DX and ordered a gauge cluster from an LX off of ebay. After plugging in the new cluster nothing happened. I even reinstalled my old cluster and I notice as soon as you plug it in it makes noise and winds up. Yet with the LX one nothing happens even after starting the car.

After I spoke with the person who sold it to me they said I may need to take it to the dealer and have it scanned? He said something about the chip in my key needs to match the gauge cluster.

I honestly don't think my DX civic even has a chip in my key. So the question is do you think this guy is trying to scam me with a broken peice of cluster?

Thanks for your help all.

Thor

THIS THREAD IS A 7 YEAR OLD DEAD THREAD.

this topic has been covered before. SEARCH for it on this site and you will get ur answers.

you will basically need to rewire ALL the pins to the proper locations. depending on ur year LX guage you got.
Old 05-12-2009
Registered!!

Thor is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the information. This tread maybe old but it's the first one that searches and googles when I put in the information. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-12-2009
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

you can only swap in an 01-02 LX/EX cluster to your car like that by simply plugging it in. if you got the new style LED gauges with blue or red rings, you must completely repin the connectors as all the wire locations have changed. there are many diys about how to do this on the site if you search around. its not hard at all.