General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Change?

Hey everyone, I have thinking of changing my own oil from now on. I don't want to pay all that money for someone to do it and have them put some unknown type in my engine, like what I have in it now. First off, I want to use the mobile one with supersyn or whatever it is called. I have about 9,000 miles. Should I use synthetic yet or just keep with the motor oil? Next of all, I need to know what I need. This is what I am pretty sure about needing, a honda oil filter, and a Oil Drain Plug Washer. Do I need the filter wrench to get the filter off? I have no idea what type of filter is on my car, or is the wrench that honda sells just for removing and tightening honda filters? Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-23-2002
Registered!!

2k2civicRAY is an unknown quantity at this point
Do a search. I use mobil one synthetic and a fram ultra guard filter. If the local parts store had a different filter i'd buy it, but thats what they have.
Old 07-23-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Link to DIY.... everything you need to know is here (with pictures)

If you can afford synthetic, go for it. I read somewhere that synthetic is for extreme conditions or something...blah I pay $10 to have my oil changed by PURRFECT, using Valvoline oil i think... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-23-2002
Extreme Member

ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
So what should I go with, synthetic or just oil? That is really all I need to know. I have around 9,000 miles on my car and I do like accelerating fast, if that really makes a difference in what I should use. Please recommend me something, thanks!
Old 07-23-2002
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Mobil 1 Full Synthetic or just Synthetic.. it doesn't hurt the car, only helps.
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Well, first of all, you don't even need a washer. I've been changing oil for over 10 years and never changed a washer in my life. The next thing you need is a Fram Double Guard filter. The one you need is PH-3593A. And you can use sinthetic if you can afford it. I don't see a difference over dino-juice except for the price. I wouldn't pay the extra money for it, but thats me. It's really easy, just remember to check when you remove the old filter so that the old o-ring isn't still there causing a leak. And you shouldn't need a filter wrench. Remember when you tighten to only tighten HAND TIGHT. It won't leak.
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
I use Amsoil 5w-20 in my car......the 5-20 is what Honda recommends for our cars and Mobil only has 5-30.......I still change my oil at the 5,000 miles Honda recommends......Amsoils even states thats its excellent for 2001- Hondas on the front of the bottle........You can get the exact Honda filter and washers at HandaAccessories.....I'd probably get the wrench at a auto store or Walmart for about $4 instead.....I just started doing my own oil change because I was scared of the crap they were putting in our engines...My car is running so much smoother since I changed over to Amsoil.....[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] ..Definate

Attachments:
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] Amsoil (53 Kb)
[IMG]/forums/themes/orbitz/paperclip.gif[/IMG] Amsoil & Filter.jpg (77 Kb)
Old 07-24-2002
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
i alked to one of the dealership gus on the phone the other day and asked him if the could put syntetic oil nted of my normal oil on the next service and he said no, cause if my car still had warranty they have to pur what ever HOnda gives them or it would void my warranty is this true??? by the way i live in Mexico........
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

TEKNIQ is an unknown quantity at this point
As long as you use 5-20 you should be OK,,,unless you have some *****......
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

Collective is an unknown quantity at this point
Mobil 1 is great oil... can't go wrong their. ( 5W30 or 0W30 ) also the "first time" you take off the filter it will be tough... if its never been done before or your shop has been doing it, you may need a filter wrench to get it off... but as silverdevil said, "Hand Tight" or as I say sung it up... lol. As for a oil filter I like the OEM Honda filter.
Good Luck...
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

DxMaN is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Collective
Mobil 1 is great oil... can't go wrong their. ( 5W30 or 0W30 ) also the "first time" you take off the filter it will be tough... if its never been done before or your shop has been doing it, you may need a filter wrench to get it off... but as silverdevil said, "Hand Tight" or as I say sung it up... lol. As for a oil filter I like the OEM Honda filter.
Good Luck...[hr]
Not to mention the fact that the oil filter is horribly placed. It is pretty much guaranteed that it will spill oil on you and the ground when you remove it. Just be sure that if you are working under the car that you realize this and prepare yourself by sliding foward once you start to loosen the filter. I'd put down some papertowels or something too, you'll need them.
Old 07-24-2002
Registered!!

IDQcivic should not be trusted
I think the part number is either ph7317, tg7317, or dg7317 depending on if its regular, tough guard or double guard. I know thats what I can use on my EX.... I am not sure if that part number posted above is right. Next time I change my oil I'm using a spoon sports magnetic drain bolt...
Old 07-27-2002
RE
Registered!!

RE is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: IDQcivic
Next time I change my oil I'm using a spoon sports magnetic drain bolt...[hr]
The magnetic oil drain bolts don't catch anything. I have one from Pep Boys and the magnetic force feels strong but has not caught any metal shavings. If this actually worked, I would guess that they would come standard in most vehicles. A magnetic transmission drain bolt might work better.
Old 09-25-2002
Registered!!

VTECxtc is an unknown quantity at this point
what does the number in front of the "w" mean?

i think my mechaninc put in 10W-30 synthetic. is that bad? o, i hope not. =/
Old 09-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, yer engine won't suddenly explode from 10W30, but you should really use 5w30 or 5w20. W stands for winter. I use Motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic...same price as dino. I also change every 3000 miles.
Old 09-26-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
W stands for winter? I thought it was weight? One is cold viscosity and one is hot viscosity. Something like that...

Anyway, I use Motorcraft synthetic blend from Walmart for $1.77 a quart. Best bang for the buck IMO. I also use Bosch oil filters. Get them! I also use Fram's SureDRAIN. Get it! I will get a remote oil filter kit soon with an oil cooler and thermostat. Get that too! I'll be doing a DIY on that once I have it. Won't be for another 5,000 miles though.
Old 09-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PESTLNC is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: RE
[hr]Originally posted by: IDQcivic
Next time I change my oil I'm using a spoon sports magnetic drain bolt...[hr]
The magnetic oil drain bolts don't catch anything. I have one from Pep Boys and the magnetic force feels strong but has not caught any metal shavings. If this actually worked, I would guess that they would come standard in most vehicles. A magnetic transmission drain bolt might work better.[hr]
Well, no metal shavings is a good thing! Also, automatic tranny's already have a magnet in them to catch metal...I'm not sure about manuals though.

Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

DaCurryman is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Grey
W stands for winter? I thought it was weight? One is cold viscosity and one is hot viscosity. Something like that...

Anyway, I use Motorcraft synthetic blend from Walmart for $1.77 a quart. Best bang for the buck IMO. I also use Bosch oil filters. Get them! I also use Fram's SureDRAIN. Get it! I will get a remote oil filter kit soon with an oil cooler and thermostat. Get that too! I'll be doing a DIY on that once I have it. Won't be for another 5,000 miles though.[hr]
I just looked up the SureDRAIN from Fram and that's really awesome (yes, I'm easily impressed). Just wondering if it's a general fit kind of thing or it there is one specific to our cars. If so, could you tell us the part number. I dont do my own oil changes cause I'm scared of spilling oil everywhere, but with this, I would really consider it. Also, how much did it cost?! And the Bosch Filter you're referring to, is it their Standard Oil Filter or Premium Oil Filters and what's the price on those as well?

What's a remote oil filter kit?
Old 09-29-2002
DIY King

Wow, so many questions...

Just wondering if it's a general fit kind of thing or it there is one specific to our cars.
There's a specific one for our cars. The size is SD2. It has a blue cap. You'll see what I mean when you buy it. Those idiots don't have it listed on their website yet. I guess they don't want the business? Look here: Installed My Fram SureDRAIN

Also, how much did it cost?!
It was like $15 at Walmart.

And the Bosch Filter you're referring to, is it their Standard Oil Filter or Premium Oil Filters and what's the price on those as well?
It's the Premium kind. The part number is 3323. It costs less than $6.

What's a remote oil filter kit?
It's used to relocate the position of the oil filter. The oil filter is mounted to the side of the engine. When you take it off some oil spills out each time. It sucks. You need a remote oil filter kit to mount the filter in a more accessible place. Then you can control the oil that will spill out of it. I'm going to use one to install an oil cooler (thermostat controlled) as well.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

Thanx for the answers. I guess my last question is how do you dispose of the oil. Does it need to be specially discarded, or do you just run down to your neighborhood sewer and dump it in when ppl arent around?
Old 10-02-2002
DIY King

No, save the receipts from when you buy oil and return it to the place you bought it from. They should take it back and dispose of it properly. At least that's what I do. I guess maybe the laws are different for each state, but in my state the law states that they must take it back.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

So I just pour the old oil back into the quart bottles? Anyone know the rules/laws for NY?
Old 10-02-2002
DIY King

You don't have to use the old bottles. You can if that's what you've got. I use empty milk bottles and other clear plastic bottles. That way it's easy to see how much is in the bottle when you fill them up.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

Collective is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]It's used to relocate the position of the oil filter. The oil filter is mounted to the side of the engine. When you take it off some oil spills out each time. It sucks. You need a remote oil filter kit to mount the filter in a more accessible place. Then you can control the oil that will spill out of it. I'm going to use one to install an oil cooler (thermostat controlled) as well. [hr]
I'm very interested in doing this... Let us know how it works for you.