General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Please read...no cat converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zetaR is an unknown quantity at this point
Please read...no cat converter

Okay, two days ago I had a Kamikaze header (comes with downpipe) installed on my LX. Therefore, the cat converter was removed. Well, I was driving it yesterday and the check engine light came on. I thought that maybe one of the o2 sensors got disconnected, but that wasn't it. I took it back to the shop that did the installation, and after hooking it up to the computer, the computer said cat converter was not working properly (because there isn't one there anymore). One o2 sensor was reading properly, the other wasn't. I know that Ford makes some sort of an eliminator that gives the o2 sensor a false reading, so the engine light won't come on. Is there something like this for our cars? Would a JetChip upgrade be able to fix this? Or does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Keep in mind, the header has a downpipe welded to to it, so I don't think an aftermarket cat converter can be used.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

AirForce is an unknown quantity at this point
I was thinking of getting that header. do you notice any sound or power difference. As for the engine light I am not sure, but if you figure it out please let all of us know. Does it just bolt right on?????
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

There's a definite sound difference and a noticeable power difference. The shop that installed it said that it fit pretty good. They just had to make a little piece of custom pipe between the downpipe and the rest of the exhaust. Also, the O2 sensors had to be lengthened.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

happynappy82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sweet action, i have been planning on this mod for a while with my LX. i was going to do it after the S-AFC install though becuase i have heard from others who tried it about the engine light not turning off. my theory is that the S-AFC would take care of engine light, but i dont REALLY know.

my sh!at
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

civichx81 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey zetaR!!! i had the same problem w/ my hp header.yes theres a n o2 simulator that works for our obd 2's i have one in mine and the check engine light has gone off and stayed off ever since. heres the chip[L=]http://www.diabloautosports.com/product_info.php?products_id=2198[/L]
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

civichx81 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok... i dont know how to link for crap.......

http://www.diabloautosports.com/product_info.php?products_id=2198

Edited by Boosted:

Link Fixed
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

Civichx81, hey thanks for the info. Don't worry about the link. Just knowing where to go is good enough. I'll check it out. Thanks again.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

ph0ng is an unknown quantity at this point
just curious, how much was it for the install?

And did you ever consider getting a high flow cat, if so, how much??

- Damn California emissions law!
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

The install was $288. That includes the installation, custom pipe, lengthening the O2 sensors, plus shop supplies. They also had to modify one of the gaskets. I don't believe I can do a high flow cat because there is a downpipe welded to the header where the cat would be. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: civichx81
hey zetaR!!! i had the same problem w/ my hp header.yes theres a n o2 simulator that works for our obd 2's i have one in mine and the check engine light has gone off and stayed off ever since. heres the chip[L=]http://www.diabloautosports.com/product_info.php?products_id=2198[/L][hr]
Did you install this yourself? If so, was it fairly simple? If you had someone else install this, how much did it run you?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-03-2002
Registered!!

AirForce is an unknown quantity at this point
I am going to go out on a limb here and say usually a cat has like a ceramic honey comb looking peice that filters that crap, what if we were to take the stock one off and crush up the comb till it all falls out then it would be straight through. No modifying of anything then down the road you can put a high flow cat right before the stock sway bar in that straight portion of pipe. I think it really might work. Tell me what you think people....
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

Mitch is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: AirForce
I am going to go out on a limb here and say usually a cat has like a ceramic honey comb looking peice that filters that crap, what if we were to take the stock one off and crush up the comb till it all falls out then it would be straight through. No modifying of anything then down the road you can put a high flow cat right before the stock sway bar in that straight portion of pipe. I think it really might work. Tell me what you think people....[hr]
You can hollow out your "cat" but it will still make a "CEL", the purpose of the "after cat" O2 sensor is to make sure there is at least a 100 degree difference from before to after. If not, after three closed loop cycles it sets a "CEL". And yeah it also takes more than 60 a sec. oxygen samples. But the main purpose is make sure the "cat" is making the minimum heat increase. So you will still need a modulator. Somewhere I have seen a "diy" for a after cat O2 sensor modulator.
Old 07-04-2002
Registered!!

Mitch is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: Mitch
[hr]Originally posted by: AirForce
I am going to go out on a limb here and say usually a cat has like a ceramic honey comb looking peice that filters that crap, what if we were to take the stock one off and crush up the comb till it all falls out then it would be straight through. No modifying of anything then down the road you can put a high flow cat right before the stock sway bar in that straight portion of pipe. I think it really might work. Tell me what you think people....[hr]
You can hollow out your "cat" but it will still make a "CEL", the purpose of the "after cat" O2 sensor is to make sure there is at least a 100 degree difference from before to after. If not, after three closed loop cycles it sets a "CEL". And yeah it also takes more than 60 a sec. oxygen samples. But the main purpose is make sure the "cat" is making the minimum heat increase. So you will still need a modulator. Somewhere I have seen a "diy" for a after cat O2 sensor modulator.[hr]

On top of all this, there is noway in hell you are going to pass an emissions test. Plus you foul out your primary O2 sensor sooner than leaving the system stock.