General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Installing a wireless remote for underbody neons

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2002
Mex
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the roughMex is a jewel in the rough
Installing a wireless remote for underbody neons

I see people selling these remotes on ebay every now and then, says they work with all major brands (I have Street Glow)... has anyone done something like this yet? I'm curious to know what all is involved in the process of setting it up to work correctly. i'ma newbie to all this tech stuff [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

ChEe12iO is an unknown quantity at this point
just get an aftermarket alarm wih auxilliary outputs. run your neons to the auxilliary output. that way when you lock/unlock your car, your lights will blink, or you can turn them on/off with your remote for your alarm. i'm in the process of doing that right now. hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

symmetry is an unknown quantity at this point
are you familiar with relays? I mean really familiar with using them to manipulate connections? if so then you could actually use something as cheap as a wireless doorbell and a couple of relays to make a wireless switch. It's amazing what you can do with relays, but if you do try the doorbell idea, I'd hide doorbell and cut the wire to the speaker of it, you're only using the transmit of the button and receiver of the box anyway. yeah I know, sounds ghetto but what else can you do when you're broke? I'm expecting flaming so go for it.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

tsunamisplash is an unknown quantity at this point
I have an Si-J one available to sell u. it is intended for use with foglights, but i never got around to installing it permanently.
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
symetry, how much is that doorbell dealy? might e nice for one or two applications....

as far as car intended remots, you can get one on parts express for $60 that comes with three relays (anything, trunk popper, windows, whatever you want) and also a remote start. not bad for $60, if you cna use all teh features........
Old 06-24-2002
Registered!!

you can get a cheap walmert doorbell $10.00 then like $5 or less for relays. The way I figure, probably three to four relays. Again, it'd be very ghetto but maybe I should do a DIY. J/K[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2002
RC
Registered!!

RC is an unknown quantity at this point
yo im tryin to get somethin like that setup too, so if ya figure it out tell me aight
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

silver2k2civic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you have keyless entry could you not wire them straight to the door lock power, so when you unlock your doors they would flash?

If you wanted you could wire them to your headlight power with a switch so you could turn them off if you wanted. (your headlights flash when you use your keyless entry)

I dunno if the door locks have enugh power or if it could potentialy mess something up in the long run.

Anybody with more electrical experiance have an opinion?
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
probably couldnt run them off the power anyways, youd need a relay.

and if you ran a relay, there would basically be no additional load on your keyless entry system.
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

So with a relay it would probobly work ok?
Old 06-25-2002
Registered!!

i dont think it would work at all without one
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

I didn't know if it would even with one,

but I'm not exactly briliant sometimes.
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

do this mod, youll come out a relay expert. in fact, relays are so simple, you are already an expert, you just dont know it yet ;D
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

hehe me, an expert! shuuure[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
Old 06-26-2002
Registered!!

white rabbit's right. relays are extremely simple and can do sooo much. you just have to play with them a little to understand them easier. all relays run on the same concept common (C), normally open (NO), and normally closed (NC). this is what you run your wires to that you're wanting to switch. then the power goes to the relay which throws the common to a short with the normally open, then pull power off and it throws the common back to a short with the normally closed. I wish I had more time to explain. email or PM me if you want a better explanation.
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
OK, I thought of this topic since I've got stobes in my headlights (D's old OEM ones) and I didn't feel like running wire into the passenger compartment. Plus I wanted to be able to stand outside the car and flash the strobes (when the chix walk by of course).

I then remembered watching some cable show on Speedvision. I think it was Hot Rod TV or something of the sort, but I'm pretty sure it was on, err, the Speed Channel. (they recently changed the name to Speed Channel). On the show, they showed how to install a remote relay system. The system was made of main parts. A relay and receiver box that went in the engine compartment, and a remote control transmitter that could mount onto the center hub of certain manufacturer (Grant I believe) steering wheels.

The way it works is you hook up the receiver/relay box under the hood, run all the things you want remote controlled to this box. You can then turn on/off whatever you want via the remote. The remote didn't have to be mounted to the steering wheel, but it was round in shape.

Unfortunately, I don't remember who manufacturered it or how many channels it could control. This thing sounds like just the thing we need for remote control of neon/strobes/whatever. I'll surf the inet tonight to try and find it. I know I'll be ordering one once I find it. (I don't want to mess with wiring an alarm.)
Old 07-02-2002
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
(in redneck voice) "ahy seen it on teeevee"

I couldn't find the one I saw on the Speed Channel show, but I did find something similar. I just ordered one of these. I'll let you guys know how it works with the strobes.
Old 07-09-2002
Registered!!

those two big blue things next to wire you put the wires are relays. the rest is the receiver. (if you care) good luck and let us know.[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]
Old 07-10-2002
Registered!!

I wasn't going to post until I got some pics, but I'll give out a little info.

It pretty much looks the way it is in the picture. Those relays are 15 amps each, so to be on the safe side, I had the blue relays switch on/off a regular 30 amp automotive relay. The instructions were VERY technical. If you ever need something to put you to sleep, read the instructions. Wiring it was pretty simple. On the far end (2 terminals) is where 12v power for the receiver connects. On the other end has 3 terminals per relay. Common, NC, NO. The relays pretty much switch on or off when you press the remote button. The instructions did mention something about changing the output to momentary (switched on only if button being pressed), but I didn't have a need for this. One small thing: The instructions do not tell you what relay goes with what button on the remote control. I had to find this out by running power and checking what relay went with which button.

The range dosen't seem too good on it. I mounted the receiver unit in a Radio Shack project box and I mounted the box on the plastic cover that goes over the battery. I ran the antenna out of the box and it pretty much runs between the fuse box and the shock mounting tower. Effective range is about 15 feet. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] One slightly annoying thing is that you kind of have to hold the button in for like 1/2 a second before the unit switches on or off.

I would have to say I'm pretty satisfied with this remote relay system. I'm a little disapointed in the effective range, but maybe I just need to play with antenna placement and putting a new battery in the key fob remote. I'll post a slightly more detailed review in it's own thread later on. I want to get some pics first. (My digi-cam died, new one should be here Friday; or you could go to the Midwest 7thGen meet and see it for yourself. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/IMG] )

edit: I forgot to mention that the same place I got this from has similar units with more channels. I only needed 2 channels maximum, so that's what I got. I'm not sure on how much more complicated the other units are..
Old 07-10-2002
Registered!!

sounds cool! can't wait to see pics.
Old 07-11-2002
Registered!!

I moved the antenna around so that it's in front of the fuse box. The range seems MUCH better now. It'll easily work within 30-40 feet. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]