General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Valve Cover Painting... with DupliColor Mirage System

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JiffyPop is an unknown quantity at this point
Valve Cover Painting... with DupliColor Mirage System

I'm planning on painting my valve cover... but I didn't want to paint it "JDM Red"... for one because I've already painted other things in my engine bay including the wire cover sparkly blue to match my car... (the spray paint I bought was awesome... same color and sparkle effect of the car...only a shade lighter)

so anywho... I'm likin the DupliColor Mirage Color Kit ... (basically a DIY chameleon paint system) and I figured... well... I can paint it with the red/blue kit... so the valve cover can sorta be red... but blue also... color change style!

The only problem is... and I'm currently contacting DupliColor about this... is engine temp and whether the paint will hold up... or if there is any way to prep the surface with high heat engine paint... to help dissipate the heat.

I'll be sure to post whatever news I get to keep those interested informed. If I go ahead with the paint job... I'll post pics of my engine bay for all to see.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

OmegaBlue2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Ok check this out, theres an easy way to figure out if it will work or not. Get yourself a piece of sheet metal, and then take the black base coat can and spray half the sheet with that, then get a can of high heat ceramic flat black engine paint and do the other half. On teh back side mark which half is which. Then go about finishing the paint job with the color coat and clear coat on top of that. after your done with that, just rest that plate down in your engine block and run it around town for a little bit, maybe hit a highway for a bit, get home, pop your hood and check if either side of the plate is bubbling, crackling or melting. You should get teh same chameleon look off teh high heat ceramic paint as the one they provide in the kit, plus you get the heat resistance base coat. Hope it works, and let us all see when your done....
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

01civicboi is an unknown quantity at this point
if my memory is correct, i remember reading in the ad in magazines that it can handle engine heat. i was thinking about painting my exhaust silencer with it
Old 06-20-2002
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
do you know if you can paint your calipers with this??
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

I think I'm either going to get the temp rating on the paint or a reply from DupliColor on whether it will handle the temp without losing its effect.

If any of the Eternal Blue Pearl owners out there want to dress up their engine bay a little with some DIY... I used Rust Oleum's Metallic Cobalt Blue (7251). The finish is quite close to Eternal Blue Pearl... just a shade lighter. I painted my battery tie down, wire cover, fuse box cover, radiator cap, washer fluid camp, spark plug thingies... <--?, and some other caps in the engine, also the hood stand. It tied the engine bay to my car really well.

Like I said... I'll take photos before the valve cover painting and after for all to see.
Old 06-20-2002
Registered!!

CivicMexicano... the same problems come into play for the calipers... because they heat up also... high heat engine paints are recommended for those surfaces unless Duplicolor informs me otherwise... stay tuned
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
i dont know if the valve cover could take it.. i'm not even risking using the 500 degree paint, I'm going all out with the 1.2k degree paint. only $2 more anyway.
Old 06-21-2002
jro
Registered!!

jro is an unknown quantity at this point
you'd probably be fine with 500 degree paint. i don't know if the plastic valve cover gets *that* hot. wouldn't it melt before it hit 500 degrees? i don't know. just my 2 cents.
-jro
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

remember sport that the plastic "valve cover" that you are referring to is the Wire Cover with the Honda VTEC writing... The valve cover is the metal portion of the engine below that... which can be removed and DIY painted.

I have already painted my Wire Cover... with regular spray paint... it came out great and still looks great.

The Valve Cover... however is subject to higher temperatures... 500 degree paint should be ok... no need to use 1200 degree.... but the DupiColor Mirage System is not designed as a high temp engine paint as far as I've been informed. If it cannot handle the temp, the color will lose its gloss... possibly bubble and in the end look like Shiznit.
Old 06-21-2002
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
What brand of paint did you use to paint your valve cover??? which for the wire cover???
Old 06-21-2002
Registered!!

I used RustOleum Metallic paint to paint the wire cover and other things in the engine bay... looks great.

The valve cover is waiting to be painted... that's the subject of this thread... whether DupliColor Mirage paint will hold up to the heat
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

LeroyBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
how much does it cost to have the shop paint your valve cover?
Old 06-22-2002
Registered!!

Three letters....

DIY

search for it... it's a simple DIY