General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Updated: DIY Relocating spare tire under the car (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solar is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm just going to buy a old Continental Kit form a old T-bird and mount it on my trunk, that will be ssooooooo cooollll.[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
from wat i heard from the streets.. derek had his installer rip apart the trunk area thats above that spare. and he got the trunk floor raised up so the spare could sit flush with the bumper. now if anyone wants to do that, go for it.. just dont ask me how. lol
Old 08-13-2002
Registered!!

PlatnumBomb is an unknown quantity at this point
I just finished my own version of the install...I will post some pics soon
Old 09-08-2002
Registered!!

myhonmyhonda is an unknown quantity at this point
i relocated my spare tire under my car. it looks great. now have more space in my trunk. i did ran across some problems though. I had to redo my drilling. i was drilled too far back. after drilling i installed the spare. didn't look right too me. so i drilled another hole six inches more towards the front from my first hole. looks great. if i need my spare. i just open up my trunk. loosen up the nut in there and lower the spare. another prob that i had problem with was getting that spare up underneath. you'll need someone to help up hold it up to secure it. i used my jack to get it up there. now here is my other DIY.

i've also replaced the cardboard thing in my trunk with a 1/2" board. i put on there a little door too. so that all i have to do is open that door and WALLA access to extra trunk space where the spare tire use to be.
Old 09-11-2002
Registered!!

PlatnumBomb is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: myhonmyhonda I've also replaced the cardboard thing in my trunk with a 1/2" board. i put on there a little door too. so that all i have to do is open that door and WALLA access to extra trunk space where the spare tire use to be.[hr]
Show me some pics of that.....Sounds like a good idea...I have board lying around...just haven't had the time to make it work...

Old 09-17-2002
Registered!!

WhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteRabbit is a glorious beacon of light
new update: if you put 300 pounds in your trunk/cabin, with stock springs and the tire relocation method i used, you cant go over tall speedbumps going faster than 10 mph, took quite a while for me to figure out what the noise was...........

same holds true for heavy dips in the road and such, go too fast, and you get a nice scraping noise....
Old 09-17-2002
Registered!!

power091999 is an unknown quantity at this point
300lbs??? what you have in your trunk? a dead cow? hahaha j/k with ya [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-29-2002
Registered!!

stackz is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey guys, I don't know if it's the same on your model hondas but this post gave me the idea that it might work on my 98 ex so this weekend I did it all. I was able to put my spare tire under the left rear of the back bumper just like 2k1Civic.Com's and I used the stock cadmium "holder-downer" thingy and a stock sized bolt (about 7 inches long from home-depot) and a wingnut and two other nuts and some threadlock and it's held down perfectly with no loosening at all (I driven about 250 miles or so this weekend with lots of traffic, speed-bumps, cornering, etc). As for my trunk I made the spare tire well into a nice floor box for my 10" sub and a little compartment for my toolbox and jack and stuff. All in all it took me 10 minutes to mount the tire and about 7 hours on the floor box and now I've effectively got my entire trunk back and you can't even see the spare tire under the car's bumper (the exhaust hangs WAY lower than tire does)

Let me know if you want some pics of it all since it might give you guys some ideas of your own.

-stackz
Old 10-08-2002
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
I RELOCATED MY SPARE TO THE GARAGE