General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

HELP!!2nd gear pops itself out and grinds.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armageddon is an unknown quantity at this point
HELP!!2nd gear pops itself out and grinds.

In about the third week of owning this car, I started having this problem. Usally this happens when I down shift from 3rd to 2nd or roll in 2nd with my foot off the gas. It just pops out and starts grinding. Reverse did this a couple of times but it stoped. I thought it was just because the trany was cold or something but it is warm now and Im still having this problem. Does anyone know what is going on or how to fix the problem??[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

Sorry, this is a 2K1 ex coupe
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

EEdoza is an unknown quantity at this point
its most likely cuz u arent shifting all the way in. if u havent finished shifting and u let go of the clutch, its gonna grind. sometimes, when in shifting into reverse i think its in all the way but then it starts to grind. jstu make sure ur done shifting before u let go of the clutch.
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah make sure your fully engaged, otherwise take it to the dealer
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

At first I thought the same thing so I started paying close attention to the way I shift and push the clutch. I will hold it in 2nd gear and you can feel something push it out of gear. Thank you for the input but could it be anything else?
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

PRCIVIC2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd go to the dealership to get it checked out IMO. Just to be safe.
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

2cute is an unknown quantity at this point
One thing DO A SEARCH this topic has been covered repeatedly. Second go to the dealership and tell them to fix it under TSB#01-081. They will take your car for a few day replace gears 1,2 and 5 and the shift fork for 1 and 2. This is a VERY common problem and like I said has been covered repeatedly.
Old 05-10-2002
Nj
Registered!!

Nj is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same trouble. honda wanted to replace the 2nd and 5th gear. it was some sort of recall and since everyone came in to have them replaced they didnt have the parts. I ended up being with out my baby for almost 3 weeks while the put in a whole new transmission. they gave me a rental a ugly sable. i was so happy to have my baby back!!
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

foxy80girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Take your car to a certified Honda Dealer; my car did that too, and they said there was something missing somewhere in the shifter (perhaps a bearing) so get that fixed...it shud be under warranty! good luck [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

2k1SINCE00 is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem is actually the rubber boot around the shifting rod or whatever you want to call it. It gets torn and thus ur tranny wont want to go into 2nd nor will it want to stay in 2nd. Happened to me too, about the 2nd month I think. They replaced my entire transmission and closely related parts. All under warranty, but honda's policy is to replace with a remanufactured tranny, which i hope doesn't haunt me in the long run!
Old 05-10-2002
Registered!!

<< The problem is actually the rubber boot around the shifting rod or whatever you want to call it. It gets torn and thus ur tranny wont want to go into 2nd nor will it want to stay in 2nd. Happened to me too, about the 2nd month I think. They replaced my entire transmission and closely related parts. All under warranty, but honda's policy is to replace with a remanufactured tranny, which i hope doesn't haunt me in the long run! >>

I don't know what your dealer was doing but according to the service bullitin gears 1, 2 and 5 should have been replaced along with the shift fork for 1 and 2 not your entire transmission. There are two common problems covered under that service bullitin one is tight or rough shifting and the other is the car popping out of second gear. The fix for the car popping out of gear is the one i mentioned above and the other problems is when they replace the bushing at the end of the shift cable. Have your dealership print it out for you. I tells step by step what they need to do to fix the problem. My attorney has my copy right now so I can't quote it for you but go to your dealership and have them print it for you.
Old 05-11-2002
Registered!!

Thank everyone for the imput, Im on my way to Honda right now. I appoligize for not searching, I am a newbie.
Old 05-11-2002
Registered!!

2k1SINCE00 is an unknown quantity at this point
2cute, realize my ID stands for something 2k1 since 00 means I've had my 2001 civic since 2000, thus the "recall" or what u may call it was not available. I saw my transmission after it was dropped out of the car and saw the torn rubber cover over the shift cable that was preventing me from shifting properly into 2nd gear. The policy at the time was replace the entire tranny along w/ the shift cable. Not to mention the shift cable wasn't a readily available item at the time either. 1st and 5th didn't have anything to do with my problem, nor do I believe they have anything to do with this guys problem either. You just keep your research information b/w you and your lawyer because we don't all have the same circumstances.
Old 05-11-2002
Registered!!

<< 2cute, realize my ID stands for something 2k1 since 00 means I've had my 2001 civic since 2000, >>

I would give a f*ck why?

<< thus the "recall" or what u may call it was not available. I saw my transmission after it was dropped out of the car and saw the torn rubber cover over the shift cable that was preventing me from shifting properly into 2nd gear. The policy at the time was replace the entire tranny along w/ the shift cable. Not to mention the shift cable wasn't a readily available item at the time either. 1st and 5th didn't have anything to do with my problem, nor do I believe they have anything to do with this guys problem either. You just keep your research information b/w you and your lawyer because we don't all have the same circumstances. >>

Well don't you feel special. It is not a recall it is a service bullitin and they go out to all the dealerships. Honda employees all have access to them. Oh and as far as 1st and 5th they don't have anything to do with his problem immediatly but will in the future if they don't replace it now. The TSB has nothing to do with my lawsuit other than it proves there is a common, know problem with the cars and the dealership refused to fix the problem even though this exists. Honestly I would have rather gotten a whole new tranny but they wouldn't do that under warrenty. As far as everyone not having the same circumstances yes we all do. It is a matter of what the dealership sees as the cheapest way to "fix" your problem. The problem he is having is the same I had and probably the same you had. The car pops out of second gear without warning and either sits partially engaged and grinds or pops all the way out and leaves you unable to accelerate. Mot of us also have had to hold the car in gear manually. If you want the car to be fixed PROPERLY listen to what I have said otherwise you will be back at the dealership with the same problem. It is your choice.
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

Do TSBs have an expiration date, and if there is, does the waranty cover this after this date?? Also is there anyway to print a tsp from the internet?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-13-2002
Registered!!

There are a few places you can find them on the web but for a lot of them you have to pay to print them. Your best bet is to go to the dealership and have them do it for you.
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

2cute: Do you know about the expiration date question?
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

I'm not 100% postivie but I would say no the only thing is they may be replaced by another more current one. I haven't seen exp. dates on them you have until your warrenty runs out as far as I know. I have seen them be replaced by more current editions though.
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

You've been mad help, thank you[IMG]i/expressions/beer_yum.gif[/IMG]