General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

lead substitute

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
andy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
lead substitute

CD-2 makes a lead substitute for cat convertor cars. I hear lead increases octane. The bottle warns it is only for offroad use which we all know means power. So has anyone heard of these types of additives and are they worth it? At 5 bucks for about 12 uses it is hardly a problem experimenting.

-Andy
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
I too have heard of this additive...though it appears to be meant for older muscle cars?[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

My biggest fear would be that it could damage our catalytic converters...and these are not cheap to replace[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/IMG]
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

Ok i have used it for about 6 tanks now and no probs. I called the company any they say it is made for cats and that is just offers the same protection and lube that a leaded fuel does. It has actually made a marked improvement over just regular/premium gas or added octane boosters. I have been satisfied with it thus far.
try it for a tank and see for yourself. I think this is a performance additive that has been overlooked for too long. why no one has even mentioned it is beyond me. And hey we have muscle cars. Guys with big muscles are less mobile and less effiecient than a cut slender build. Think about that next time you bow down to a mustang on the freeway.
Old 05-07-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Lead substitute? The lead which used to be in gasoline was meant to work its way into micro fractures in the intake and exhaust valves to help them seal properly against the cylinder head. I don't think it had anything to do with the catalytic converter. This lead substitute sounds like BS.

andy22: What have you noticed?
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

I was told by a mechanic that lead in gas would kill a cat conv. this product only claims to not do that since there is no actual lead in the stuff. but it does help the valves seal better. All the good from leaded fuel without the hassle of having to get a new cat all the time. I have noticed a more powerful acceleration even in fifth. And if it is doing its thing on the valves then that should create more power. And just the fact that they warn that it is only for off road use tells me that it might be good for power which the politicians think is bad for the street.
Old 05-07-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]

waste that cash....

we can't take advantage of octane boosters... we simply dont create the kind of compression to warrant the use of higher octane gas. 91/92 gas is one thing, but 100+ octane is just like buying an iMac... send me your money instead of throwing it in the trash

try getting that thing on a dyno, dont trust the feeling in your ***... our brains are pretty tricky and will make us believe that wasted $$$ is actually doing something

and yes, i own an iMac so i can say that.... but its for yellowdog linux, OS-X, and some netBSD work so its not a complete loss
Old 05-08-2002
Registered!!

yes very true but this stuff lubes up the valves which can help maintain the little power we have.
Old 05-14-2002
Registered!!

merz is an unknown quantity at this point
Magic "treatments" have been around since the invention of racing (which was about 2 days after the invention of the car).

If there really, really was a magic power potion, don't you think it would be in our fuel? You can bet that Mobil or Exxon would be selling it and charging you.

Our cars are designed for optimum performance with regular gas. Some models of cars can actually get worse performance on premium than if they burn regular.