General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Headlight question for 2001 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
drooblez is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Headlight question for 2001 Civic

Hey,

I have a 2-door 2001 Civic and I would like to get some HID headlights in my car. Right now I have Phillip X-Treme Power H4 headlights in my car from:
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=43

I did a Google search and found this site that had Honda Civic HID kits... http://www.hidxenonheadlights.com/Honda-Civic-HID-Kits/ . So I went to that site and I pressed the "Buy Now" button towards the top of the page.

I selected "Honda" and "Civic" and "2001". Then I chose "Low Beam" and the color of "8000K" (which is what I want). Then I picked "My vehicle has aftermarket lighting."

Is this all correct? I don't believe I have "BiXenon". This may seem like a dumb thread but I just want to make sure this is all right before I spend $89. Or is there a cheaper place where I can get the same thing this site is selling?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

ZeroAlligator is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Headlight question for 2001 Civic

While the options you listed may indeed be installable into your vehicle, they will not be legal, safe, or effective.

~4300k is the only legal color temperature for HID lights. You will get stopped and written tickets by the police with 8000k lights, these are very obviously blue and illegal.

Also, the higher up the temperature scale you go, the less lumens the lights produce, this basically means that 8000k lights are a lot less bright then 4300k lights.

HID kits in general are also illegal because they produce a high amount of glare to oncoming traffic due to their ineffective use in halogen reflector housings. Also, they will not produce as much usable light output in a reflector housing as your current halogen light bulb. The only way to achieve good HID light output is with the installation of a HID projector by doing something such as a retrofit.

Tons of good info here about HID's, and how to set them up properly.

-Mark

Last edited by ZeroAlligator; 08-09-2010 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

headlight laws vary from state to state

Why?
Because newer mercedes, BMW, and even the prius have stock HID lights

I got my HID from ebay, for $38 and they work like a charm
You want H4 headlights for the 7th gen

If you want to try not and **** off highway patrol, and local police, I suggest 6k and below
6k is pure white
Sure, you may get a couple of rare headlight flashes from oncoming traffic, but because our civics are so low, they don't get angry when you're right behind them

I've installed 3 6k headlights
on my 03 civic coupe
my Volvo S70
and my neighbor's Four Runner
All from ebay, and they work perfectly

Heres the link to the ebay store
http://shop.ebay.com/hidfusionstore/...&_trksid=p3686
Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

ZeroAlligator is an unknown quantity at this point

While it is true that laws vary from state to state, there are no states that allow plug and play HID kits. I'd encourage you to find one that does and post your reference from a state run website in response. You can kid yourself into thinking that they are legal but they are not.

6k is not pure white, 4300 is much closer to pure white. 6k lights have quite a blue tint to them. But please don't take my word for it, run a search and see for yourself. Or buy a 6k kit from a site that allow returns and look at them while they are on... looks pretty blue to me.

The HID lights that you talk about on OEM vehicles are 4300, are part of a projector system that is designed to accept the lights, and are not kits.

This isn't an attack on anyone, simply an informational post. There are a lot of unsafe and illegal products that are sold to people every day, often times it is legal for people and stores to sell these products, but not for you to install them on your vehicle and drive with them on our public roadways. Installing a HID kit WILL cause glare for other drivers, and WILL NOT produce more usable light then a halogen light in your halogen projector housings.

Try doing some searches on HID kits and you'll find numerous posts backing up what I've said in my above posts.

-Mark
Old 08-09-2010
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno.. my 6000k HIDs look pretty damn white.. Hell, you can even see small splotches of yellow. Then again, it is an HID retrofit.
Name:  SDC13412.jpg
Views: 403
Size:  76.3 KB

As for glare, in this shot (8000k in halogen projectors) there's glare toward the passenger side. It's kinda done on purpose so it actually lights up signs on the side of the road.
Name:  SDC13106.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  44.6 KB
I NEVER got flashed with my HIDs (halogen and HID retrofit alike) because I had them aimed properly. The cutoff was aimed at a 2" drop @ 25 feet

edit: Dammit.. I told myself I wasn't gonna get into this conversation.. Oh well..
Old 08-09-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to beholdlowlife9 is a splendid one to behold

don't spend that much for HIDs get them here these have a lifetime warranty for $30 dollars or get the digital for $40 dollars you also are going to want to get the the harness for 15 bucks.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/
Old 08-09-2010
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lowlife9
don't spend that much for HIDs get them here these have a lifetime warranty for $30 dollars or get the digital for $40 dollars you also are going to want to get the the harness for 15 bucks.
http://www.ddmtuning.com/
That's what I'm running. DDM tuning digital HID kit with their D2S bulbs and relay harness
Old 08-10-2010
Kenny the Ricer

Kennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond reputeKennykid2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ZeroAlligator
While it is true that laws vary from state to state, there are no states that allow plug and play HID kits. I'd encourage you to find one that does and post your reference from a state run website in response. You can kid yourself into thinking that they are legal but they are not.

6k is not pure white, 4300 is much closer to pure white. 6k lights have quite a blue tint to them. But please don't take my word for it, run a search and see for yourself. Or buy a 6k kit from a site that allow returns and look at them while they are on... looks pretty blue to me.

The HID lights that you talk about on OEM vehicles are 4300, are part of a projector system that is designed to accept the lights, and are not kits.

This isn't an attack on anyone, simply an informational post. There are a lot of unsafe and illegal products that are sold to people every day, often times it is legal for people and stores to sell these products, but not for you to install them on your vehicle and drive with them on our public roadways. Installing a HID kit WILL cause glare for other drivers, and WILL NOT produce more usable light then a halogen light in your halogen projector housings.

Try doing some searches on HID kits and you'll find numerous posts backing up what I've said in my above posts.

-Mark
Not to pick a fight here, but based on my research before I bought HIDs
MOST the websites i've viewed says:

4300 > Slight yellow tint, but brightest lumens
5000-6000 > Pure white, lower lumens, but white
8000 > blue tint
10000 > Purple
15k+ > Pink

Legality wise:
States do not allow pretty much any modification to cars =/ (in general)

@ the buy 6k's

I have 3 6k's installed, in my previous post
They are all crystal clear white to me, no blue at all
Old 08-12-2010
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

every kit will have a different color bulb. those color temps are meaningless if there is no quality control among aftermarkets. the only bulbs that applies to is OEM like philips and osram. and the whitest legal hid bulb is the osram xenstar 5400K.