General Honda Civic Forum Archive. The archive is dedicated to storing threads for research purposes only, please place questions in their appropriate forum.

Advice on repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dntn is an unknown quantity at this point
Advice on repair

This seemed like the best place for this question, and I'm a total noob here, and with cars in general, so please don't flame me. I drive (drove) a 2001 civic, but recently wrecked it. To get it back to drivable, I need to replace the radiator. I got the hood and a couple other things off, but this is what it looks like.

Do you think it is possible to straighten that bar or whatever out? And if not, where can I buy a new one. Also, what should i look up to find them for sale and to get an estimate of price online.

Thanks in advance. I need all the advice I can get!
Old 07-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of
Re: Advice on repair

Theres no way you'll be able to straighten out the radiator support, thats severe damage. Without going outside and taking a look at my car, I think think the radiator supports are bolted on.That being said, buying a rad support online isn't a good idea. Its a big heavy metal part that is rarely replaced, so even if you found it online it would be way overpriced and cost ship. Just go to a scrap yard and you'll be able to get a rad support there.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

well replacement radiator support on ebay motors did not seem that expensive, but it did say it would take awhile to ship. Are you sure that that is the radiator support? I plan on going to the junkyard on monday to find a new hood radiator and i guess now a radiator support. Would any welding be required or is taking out the damaged support and putting in a new (or intact) one something i could do?
Old 07-17-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

MindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud ofMindBomber has much to be proud of

I'm surprised its affordable, a radiator support seems like a strange thing for people to buy off ebay motors. The only time I can imagine having to replace it is a major accident..

I'm pretty sure its bolted on, just look at the car and see. Even if its bolted on though it could be difficult to get off with it being that badly damaged, i'd probably have a hack saw on hand.
Old 07-17-2010
Registered!!

after a bit of googling it seems its more commonly welded also... I'll have to check mine out personally tomorrow after work. It'll just be a lot less convenient if i need welding
Old 07-18-2010
Live for the Twisties
Administrator

I went outside and looked, its welded.
Old 07-18-2010
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

They're about $100 on here: http://www.car-part.com/index.htm. As to the welding- your on your own.